Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Buffy vs a hippo

Unarmed Buffy vs an average male hippo

If every so often my enthusiasm for Rumbles wanes a little, it's thread titles like this that make me proud to be a member of this community.

I didn't realise this was a question I desperately needed answering.

Buffy probably wins but, oh, what an image.
    The Four Levels of Competence
    Unconscious incompetence - where one is not aware one stinks and has zero skill.
    Conscious incompetence - where one has trained enough to finally figured out one stinks and has zero skill.
    Conscious competence - where one has skill, but needs to concentrate and think about everything as one is doing it.
    Unconscious competence - where one has hardwired stuff in enough that one doesn't actually think about what one is doing, but just does it.
    -SharpandPointies

she didn't fair very well against a black bear.

If she is armed i give her the win, but unarmed im not too sure she can make it out alive.

The Recipe for Disaster Blackid's Avatar

I agree w/ @Oswin. You've got to deal with a heavy dose of durability on the hippo. It's not just the aggressiveness or the mouth and teeth. It's his speed and Buffy's (unarmed) inability to pierce his body. He's charging and stomping and biting and if he's near water, she being dragged down under water to drown.
    The Recipe for Disaster asks for Blasphemy, but as for me, ask for me, I give it gravity.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackid View Post
    I agree w/ @Oswin. You've got to deal with a heavy dose of durability on the hippo. It's not just the aggressiveness or the mouth and teeth. It's his speed and Buffy's (unarmed) inability to pierce his body. He's charging and stomping and biting and if he's near water, she being dragged down under water to drown.
    The hippo was not given access to water.
    "One may be intelligent, and a Nazi. Then one is not decent. One may be decent and a Nazi. Then one is not intelligent. And one may be intelligent and decent. Then one is not a Nazi"
    - Gerhard Bronner

I think that I read something recently about the hippo being the most dangerous animal in Africa. They are apparently very territorial, as well as big, durable, and violent. If Buffy is unarmed, I'm betting on the hippo. If Buffy is given at least a wooden stake as standard equipment, I still don't like her odds.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Hippos are fast, durable and it'll be very aggressive as per rumble rules.

If Buffy is unarmed she's not going to be able to do much with blunt force trauma unless she gets lucky and manages to rip off one of the Hippo's teeth or something and use that.

Male Hippo means at least one and a half tons of bad news and a very, very nasty bite. Buffy is going to need to be very careful here and take advantage of her superior mobility to wear the Hippo down. Thankfully, they aren't fighting in water.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    Male Hippo means at least one and a half tons of bad news and a very, very nasty bite. Buffy is going to need to be very careful here and take advantage of her superior mobility to wear the Hippo down. Thankfully, they aren't fighting in water.
    Hippos can still outrun humans, they can run upwards of 19mph, average human is 15mph. Buffy might be slightly faster.

So in water would be certain death but on land is still probably death for Buffy.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

I have to say that Buffy is quite a bit faster, having feats like keeping up with buses that were certainly going quicker than 19 mph. Whilst running across rooftops, not open ground.

I have no doubt she can outrun the hippo if need be.
    Why Are We Here?, by Pendaran

"...the Myths Transformed version of the legendarium, in which the Moon is Melkor's attempt to make his own Arda with blackjack and hookers."
    - Estrecca

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move."
    - Nik Hasta

"[Kent] Nelson was nearly invariably presented as the guy who, barring the Spectre, made everyone else generally gasp and go "Doctor Fate don't shiv, he balls nasty.", even Superman."
    - Pendaran

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    I think that I read something recently about the hippo being the most dangerous animal in Africa. They are apparently very territorial, as well as big, durable, and violent. If Buffy is unarmed, I'm betting on the hippo. If Buffy is given at least a wooden stake as standard equipment, I still don't like her odds.
    Hippos are the most dangerous mammal in the world, period. Basically, in deaths, it's bugs > snakes > crocs > hippos.

Quote Originally Posted by abmccray View Post
    Hippos are the most dangerous mammal in the world, period. Basically, in deaths, it's bugs > snakes > crocs > hippos.
    Hippos kill anything just for being close their young, they kill grazing cattle who are freaking herbivores cuz the hippos think they're a threat to their babies.

Does Buffy even have good feats for dealing with large monsters without weapons? All the big take downs I can think of usually require her using a weapon or a school full of explosives.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    Hippos kill anything just for being close their young, they kill grazing cattle who are freaking herbivores cuz the hippos think they're a threat to their babies.

Does Buffy even have good feats for dealing with large monsters without weapons? All the big take downs I can think of usually require her using a weapon or a school full of explosives.
    That's not entirely true. Hippos will usually tolerate crocodiles near their children. Though it should be noted that most crocs have become conditioned to never attack hippos, even seemingly helpless ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6vJXRwsoSk

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    For obvious reasons she very rarely runs into things that are bigger than a big guy in a very bulky costume.
    "One may be intelligent, and a Nazi. Then one is not decent. One may be decent and a Nazi. Then one is not intelligent. And one may be intelligent and decent. Then one is not a Nazi"
    - Gerhard Bronner