Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Norman Osborn Spotlight in Amazing Spider-Man Volume 4 #32

The final issue of Amazing Spider-Man Volume 4 (before we get to Legacy) spotlights Norman Osborn's efforts to restore the Green Goblin. It takes him to a secret temple, where he encounters monks who might offer him supernatural powers, a bit of a nod to the goblin of the 1960s animated series.

Greg Smallwood (Moon Knight) is a great fit for the art, illustrating the darkness of Osborn's world.

The timing's a bit weird since it's three issues since the last Osborn story ended, but it serves some purposes for Marvel (it gives an added issue for the Secret Empire tie-in TPB; it might not fit the schedule between the Parker Legacy and Venom Inc.)

I'm being a bit vague in the first post to avoid spoilers, although I did generally enjoy it.

The website Adventures in Poor Taste has a mixed review.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I think that was a very nice issue, mainly because of the ending. Slott didn't make Norman a sorcerer, I liked that.
    “Indifference and neglect often do much more damage than outright dislike.”
    -Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

I was expecting a bit more from the issue; found it a bit lightweight overall but agree that Smallwood was a great choice for the art for this particular story----and Alex Ross' cover might be one of the best for this title in recent memory. Still, I was expecting a bit more forward momentum than we ended up getting and the timing was a bit odd coming as it did just a few issues after the end of "The Osborn Identity"; mostly thought, the overall pace of the issue was excruciatingly slow, not something one usually gets with a Slott issue.
    I miss Kevin Nichols. Not as much as bacon, but still...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    I think that was a very nice issue, mainly because of the ending. Slott didn't make Norman a sorcerer, I liked that.
    Yeah, this was a cool one-in-done. Glad that the outcome of it wasn't that Norman was suddenly a master of magic. It was cool seeing him make that unexpected journey through the issue but I wouldn't have wanted it to be his new status. Nice Twilight Zone-ish twist at the end. All in all, a tidy - and gorgeously illustrated - little gem.

I knew what the ending would be, the moment he touched the gem. but I very much enjoyed the story.
    Quote Originally Posted by somacula View Post
    Because its fun, not as fun as the liberal meltdown but close
    11/10/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Yeah, this was a cool one-in-done. Glad that the outcome of it wasn't that Norman was suddenly a master of magic. It was cool seeing him make that unexpected journey through the issue but I wouldn't have wanted it to be his new status. Nice Twilight Zone-ish twist at the end. All in all, a tidy - and gorgeously illustrated - little gem.
    it is good to know his potential though. that was enough to get Osborn out of his funk.
    Quote Originally Posted by somacula View Post
    Because its fun, not as fun as the liberal meltdown but close
    11/10/2016

There's a more positive review in Spidertalk.

Now, in the pre-“Legacy” era, Slott’s Silver Surfer has ended and Amazing Spider-Man has returned to a more classically thrilling format and to its former heights.

This is perhaps best expressed in this latest, done-in-one issue, entitled “Personal Demon”. Amazing Spider-Man (vol. 4) #32 might barely feature Spider-Man, but it is the perfect example of how Slott’s sometimes classical, Silver-Agey tales can make for the best kind of comics. It tells a surprising and character-oriented tale that both provides the illusion of change for a character while reaffirming the characteristics that made him so captivating in the first place.

In this case, the featured character is that of Norman Osborn. Readers who have witnessed dramatic changes in the character over the years will likely reflect his sentiments in this book, as he begins a journey to reawaken the Green Goblin within himself and regain his rightful place (if you agree) at the top of Spider-Man’s rogues gallery. The form his quest takes in this issue will come as a surprise to many; for when science again fails Norman he decides to take a uniquely different approach: setting out on a Doctor Strange-like quest into the mountains, hoping that perhaps magic will provide the answer.

Some readers may scoff in disbelief at this strange and overnight change for the character, but anyone who has read Dan Slott’s writing (especially Amazing Spider-Man #698) should know that one should never place too much trust in the old adage that “seeing is believing” when it comes to the best Slott tales. When the book makes its final turn it, the twist does not only serve as a surprise but an excellent underlining of what makes Norman such a great character, worthy of our fear. And just like in any of the best Spider-Man stories, defeat and victory are often partners that work hand in hand.
    This recent change in writing doesn’t only coincide with Slott’s end of Silver Surfer, but also a change in publishing schedule to accommodate for the best artwork these series has seen in years. Artist Stuart Immonen takes a break for this issue, but Greg Smallwood more than covers for his absence. Fresh off his trippy run on Moon Knight, Smallwood’s uncluttered, textured, large-paneled artwork sells an epic journey and momentarily convinces that Norman may have turned the corner and embraced a quieter life. Colorist Jordie Bellaire’s muted color palette sells the solemn affairs of this issue, punctuated them with the frightening greens we all associate with the infamous villain. I got the sense that Slott knew how attractive this issue was and smartly gave letterer Joe Caramagna less work to do than normal, lest his word balloons cover any of it up.

But we all know that Norman isn’t likely to be one to embrace a holistic lifestyle and before you know it Smallwood pulls out all the tricks to return Norman to his grinning, twisted, and weird Ditko days, his mask grinning, arms pumping, and ears reaching to the heavens. The Goblin has rarely been so frighteningly depicted in recent memory and for a moment the consequences seem enormous.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I've recently read the Green Goblin's debut and unmasking in the 60's issues and I recall him using a kind of energy or "sparkle" attack he shot from his hands before he used his trademark pumpkin bombs. Not sure if sorcery is afoot or something akin to pyrotechnics .... >_>
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

Too much green for me maybe i'm green that instead of Ock it's Normie getting the attention now lol! From an Emerald and the mention of the Envious Brigade (Mordo and Doom) i could really have done without this filler issue - i really didn't like the mysticism.

I was rolling my eyes hard at this issue until the end. Norman as a sorcerer would have been a terrible idea.

Incredible Member Uncanny Mutie's Avatar

It's good to have 'Ol Normie back as a Spider-Man menace where he belongs, but he has certainly been getting run into the ground lately in ASM. Especially considering how poorly depicted he has been.

Does Norman have his memories of Peter being Spider-Man back yet, or is he still boring?
    Undo One More Day, bring back the marriage, and make Spider-Man great again
    Renew Your Vows is the only good Spider-Man book on the market nowadays
    Married Spider-Man is better than Teenage Spider-Man
    http://vampfox666.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdSpider View Post
    Does Norman have his memories of Peter being Spider-Man back yet, or is he still boring?
    Still boring.

Well, I thought the latest issue of ASM was pretty decent, certainly one of the better issues of the current volume. Of course, it didn't have much new to say about Norman Osborn, and the ending twist can feel like a let down. Other than that, I think it's not half bad.

Stillanerd Reviews: Amazing Spider-Man vol. 4 #32 review
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow!
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Damn, you know it was a good issue of Amazing Spider-Man when even stillanerd was impressed by it haha. But it was a good chapter overall and even though I still hate the fact that Norman still doesn't even know that Peter is Spider-man, this was the most compelling the character has been in a decent while. I also hope that Norman ends up being the antagonist of ASM # 800 too.