Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 145
  1. #121
    Better than YOU! Alan2099's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,911

    Default

    I still don't see why this is a problem any more than the countless times people have proclaimed "And nothing will ever be the same!" or "because you demand it!"

    Really, the whole thing to me comes across more as people wanting to have a reason to hate Joe more rather than him really doing anything bad.

  2. #122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by squirecam View Post
    No, that wasnt the context.

    Joe was giving a media interview regarding the unmasking. Basically, the media was calling him on the unmasking "stunt". Joe simply could have said the old "stay tuned" or whatnot, but he was apparently upset that people were calling it the sales stunt that it was.

    So he gave the quote I referred to. Specifically saying that it was not a stunt and not something they were going to retcon, including the specific forget-me ray. I've commented on that quote several times, both here and the old forums.

    It wasn't to avoid "spoilers". He lied because the media that day wanted to admit it was a stunt and he made clear misrepresentations that it wasnt one. As he later admitted, he already knew it was going away because of OMD.

    BTW, while the article/old forums are long gone, proof of the lie does live on...

    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ook/OneMoreDay
    We have a guy on a wiki. He might've read something wrong.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

  3. #123
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    We have a guy on a wiki. He might've read something wrong.

    No, he didn't. From the original post at http://www.latimes.com/

    Forty-four years after first donning a mask, Spider-Man takes it off in public in a comic book that hits stores today.

    In the book, the second issue of "Civil War," Spider-Man, Captain America and other familiar heroes in Marvel Comics are struggling not with villains but with federal legislation requiring that they register and reveal their identities. That federal crackdown begins after hundreds of children are killed at an elementary school when a battle between heroes and villains spills onto their campus.

    In the issue now on sale, Spider-Man is the first major hero to acquiesce, pulling off his mask at a Washington news conference. Captain America, meanwhile, goes underground and leads a faction of heroes who believe the government has gone too far.

    The government versus masked men theme has become a staple of superhero lore (it was memorably defined by "The Watchmen" comics in the 1980s but was recently made far more famous by "The Incredibles" and "X-Men" films) but with Spider-Man revealing to the world that his real name is Peter Parker, Marvel is sacrificing one of the core components of its most famous character's mythology.

    It is also creating a major divide between the comic-book continuity and the hit Hollywood franchise.

    "It can be very intimidating if you don't know where the story is going or how it ends; we do, so we're just excited about where it takes us and the story possibilities it offers," Joe Quesada, Marvel's editor-in-chief, said Wednesday.

    He also promised that Marvel won't be backing-off of Spidey's big revelation by zapping the public with a forget-me ray or saying the press conference was a dream or a hoax.

    "We won't be pulling a Bobby Ewing with this."
    http://www.latimes.com/
    Last edited by squirecam; 11-14-2017 at 09:36 AM.

  4. #124
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    3,403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by squirecam View Post
    "We won't be pulling a Bobby Ewing with this."
    http://www.latimes.com/
    Ironically, when the newspaper strip briefly ran with a BND-esque status quo in 2009, that's exactly what they did to restore the marriage

  5. #125
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Ironically, when the newspaper strip briefly ran with a BND-esque status quo in 2009, that's exactly what they did to restore the marriage
    Yeah. Stan got a lot of hate mail and caved rather quickly IIRC.

  6. #126
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    3,403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by squirecam View Post
    Yeah. Stan got a lot of hate mail and caved rather quickly IIRC.
    I'd always heard the plan was to have always gone back to the marriage and Stan was merely letting the "fan backlash" be the smokescreen excuse.

    Even then, Stan had a decent idea of what to do...set the stories years BEFORE Peter and MJ got married. Kind of like what Sledge Hammer did to explain why the characters were alive after the first season.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 11-14-2017 at 10:55 AM.

  7. #127
    Loony Scott Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Running Springs, California
    Posts
    3,024

    Default

    There is nothing wrong with doing a Bobby Ewing to fix things. Its what needs to happen sometimes.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

  8. #128
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    There is nothing wrong with doing a Bobby Ewing to fix things. Its what needs to happen sometimes.
    If you intentionally break the character, you cannot claim a "Bobby Ewing" is needed to fix it. Its poor writing and poor character work.

  9. #129
    Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Backwoods of Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Yeah, I think we're all part of the problem to some extent.
    Yep, I am going to admit that in certain fandoms I have certainly been a rude fan at one time or another. Thankfully, at least I got more mature with time.

    As for OMD. Peter blew his identity. Even at that point in time, something bad was going to happen because every villain on the planet knew, not so decent people knowing that Peter Parker = Spider-Man had bad repercussions at that point. I knew that something bad was going to happen. Exactly what, not so much, that's why I walked away from Marvel during Civil War right after the unmasking. It already didn't look good as it was.

  10. #130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by squirecam View Post
    No, he didn't. From the original post at http://www.latimes.com/

    Forty-four years after first donning a mask, Spider-Man takes it off in public in a comic book that hits stores today.

    In the book, the second issue of "Civil War," Spider-Man, Captain America and other familiar heroes in Marvel Comics are struggling not with villains but with federal legislation requiring that they register and reveal their identities. That federal crackdown begins after hundreds of children are killed at an elementary school when a battle between heroes and villains spills onto their campus.

    In the issue now on sale, Spider-Man is the first major hero to acquiesce, pulling off his mask at a Washington news conference. Captain America, meanwhile, goes underground and leads a faction of heroes who believe the government has gone too far.

    The government versus masked men theme has become a staple of superhero lore (it was memorably defined by "The Watchmen" comics in the 1980s but was recently made far more famous by "The Incredibles" and "X-Men" films) but with Spider-Man revealing to the world that his real name is Peter Parker, Marvel is sacrificing one of the core components of its most famous character's mythology.

    It is also creating a major divide between the comic-book continuity and the hit Hollywood franchise.

    "It can be very intimidating if you don't know where the story is going or how it ends; we do, so we're just excited about where it takes us and the story possibilities it offers," Joe Quesada, Marvel's editor-in-chief, said Wednesday.

    He also promised that Marvel won't be backing-off of Spidey's big revelation by zapping the public with a forget-me ray or saying the press conference was a dream or a hoax.

    "We won't be pulling a Bobby Ewing with this."
    http://www.latimes.com/
    The only direct quote by Quesada is about not pulling a Bobby Ewing, which covers the dream scenario but not the forget-me ray.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

  11. #131
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The only direct quote by Quesada is about not pulling a Bobby Ewing, which covers the dream scenario but not the forget-me ray.
    So now the reporter's statement concerning the promise is still not good enough? Must the reporter detail each and every world Joe said before he is worthy of belief?

    Joe specifically promised not to use a forget-me ray. I highly doubt the reporter would use those words unless Joe said them.

  12. #132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by squirecam View Post
    So now the reporter's statement concerning the promise is still not good enough? Must the reporter detail each and every world Joe said before he is worthy of belief?

    Joe specifically promised not to use a forget-me ray. I highly doubt the reporter would use those words unless Joe said them.
    I'm not going to call someone a liar for a decade old comment that isn't a direct quote.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

  13. #133
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I'm not going to call someone a liar for a decade old comment that isn't a direct quote.
    So just to be clear, if Joe said it wouldn’t be undone by magic, but it’s undone by technology, you won’t consider the statement untrue because he promised only magic....

    That’s a thin line. Clearly the statements were meant to say the unmasking wouldn’t be undone. You can nit pick but its a poor defense and semantics. Joe knew what he was implying (at least) was not true.

  14. #134
    Astonishing Member WebLurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    2,676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by squirecam View Post
    So just to be clear, if Joe said it wouldn’t be undone by magic, but it’s undone by technology, you won’t consider the statement untrue because he promised only magic....

    That’s a thin line. Clearly the statements were meant to say the unmasking wouldn’t be undone. You can nit pick but its a poor defense and semantics. Joe knew what he was implying (at least) was not true.
    Even if this was the case, it's hardly a hanging offense.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

  15. #135
    Astonishing Member boots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,718

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Even if this was the case, it's hardly a hanging offense.
    yeah, i'm slightly confused as to what the crime is and what the consequences are? is it that we can't trust joe to look after our pet goldfish when we go on holidays?
    troo fan or death

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •