The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default Kryptonite questions

Two questions about Kryptonite:

1. When Superman is near death from Kryptonite exposure, does he recover fully and instantly when the Kryptonite is removed, or does he need time to fully recover?

2. Given the threat that Kryptonite poses to him, why hasn't Superman made a point of hunting down and destroying all traces of Kryptonite in the world except for the small amounts he entrusts to Batman and maybe his Justice League colleagues for emergency failsafe purposes?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Invincible Member Sacred Knight's Avatar

I think it depends on how long the exposure. If its prolonged exposure I think it takes more time to recover fully. The more brief the exposure, the less amount of time it takes to bounce back. But, the effects of Kryponite can WILDLY vary to accommodate plot concerns. The former is just the way I personally look at it.

As for the second question, I cant' rationalize that one off the top of my head. It would be an interesting thing to explore.
    They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son. - Jor-El.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post

1. When Superman is near death from Kryptonite exposure, does he recover fully and instantly when the Kryptonite is removed, or does he need time to fully recover?
    It varies incredbly from writer to writer and from era to era.
    He generally recovers at the speed of plot.

2. Given the threat that Kryptonite poses to him, why hasn't Superman made a point of hunting down and destroying all traces of Kryptonite in the world except for the small amounts he entrusts to Batman and maybe his Justice League colleagues for emergency failsafe purposes?
    I'm fairly sure that has been done once or twice, but then something like Jeph Loeb dropping a huge Kryptonite meteor on Earth happens.
    "One may be intelligent, and a Nazi. Then one is not decent. One may be decent and a Nazi. Then one is not intelligent. And one may be intelligent and decent. Then one is not a Nazi"
    - Gerhard Bronner

Astonishing Member theoneandonly's Avatar

as to the first question mileage varies. As to the second it was done one time in superman/batman.
    The Self is the only existing reality

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    I have a few ideas about this matter

maybe Kryptonite is useful for more than just hurting kryptonians. Hasn't it also been used as a powersource or even as an artificial heart like with Metallo? Plus phantom zone criminals escape all the time, if Superman knows there's a good chance he could lose to Zod and co, maybe he realizes kryptonite may be earth's last line of defense, should that day come.
    I remember watching Supergirl episodes where Superman guest stars, and he's all pissed off that Argus has kryptonite. Honestly I thought he came off really selfish, and frankly cowardly there. Boo-hoo, the authorities have a weapon that can kill you. But guess what? The authorities have weapons that can kill anyone. I don't start a fit over cops and soldiers carrying guns, loaded with bullets, that would totally kill me if they wanted to. I know they have those for a reason. Just like Superman should understand why the government would want to have access to kryptonite.
    Last edited by FishyZombie; 09-21-2017 at 03:06 PM.

1. The effects of kryptonite have varied a lot, but he's never really been taken off the board. Unless he's been seriously wounded and penetrated, he's recovered within the action. Supergirl was put in critical condition a few years ago, though, and it took a few issues for her to pull away from near death.

2. Hunting down kryptonite... I'm not sure how.

The more concentrated his exposure to yellow sunlight the quicker his recovery, generally. It varies depending on the writer, for example:

- over in Lois and Clark, the prolonged exposure wiped out his powers and he had to make a concentrated effort in using his super-breath in order to escape, and, even though he had been out in sunlight for a while, he wasn't able to fly (although he did try);
    - when the radiation wave from Krypton's explosion reached Earth, it didn't seem to matter how much sunlight he had to counter it (although this wasn't directly tested); and
    - it took almost a year for him to recover after Infinite Crisis, however, the Rao-bath he had had was a major factor in that.

Post-CoIE, there wasn't much Kryptonite on Earth, initially - the prime source was the chunk that had embedded in the rocket section of the Birthing Matrix - so Kryptonite wasn't really much of an issue (despite its use). The biggest incident of Kryptonite - as mentioned by Carabas - was the meteor in Public Enemies, but the Kryptonite from that was eventually collected (for the most part) by the League and then disposed of.

1. Depends on the version of Superman, and usually his age/exposure over time.

2. Because Kryptonite is a story telling device.

Incredible Member

1. Usually the longer the exposure the longer the recovery.

2. Given that kryptonite radiation can be blocked by lead it would be hard to find every piece hidden on Earth.