Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 39
  1. #16
    Astonishing Member dancj's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Air Wave View Post
    Right up until 1987 with the Byrne/Wolfman reboot, the S didn't go back nearly as far as the other letters. I didn't notice at first, but once I did, it drove me mad.

  2. #17
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,050

    Default

    There were some alterations before that. In the 1970s, the U, P and R were smoothed out. I liked the earlier versions of the logo--even if that thing with the S bugged me, too--it reminded me that art is imperfect, when it's made by human beings and not machines. Comics that are too perfectly formed by our electronic overlords appear cold and sterile. Humans are messy business.

    There are other little quirks like that in virtually all the classic DC logos, where you realize "oh, some individual, one day was sat at a drafting table and worked this out--that's why the symmetry is off and there are these little inaccuracies."

    I think the reason they had to refashion the Superman logo and others was because they couldn't replicate them with technology--so they always had to copy from the original masters of those logos. And apparently they didn't want to do that anymore.

    My baby loves love--my baby loves lovin'
    She's got what it takes and she knows how to use it

    (another Tony Burrows one hit wonder)

  3. #18
    Mighty Member Air Wave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    1,327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    IIRC, that was for one specific arc when an alternative universe Wally West took over the title for a while, so it doesn't really count IMO.
    Good to know. I didn't count any one-offs but this one lasted 8 issues.

  4. #19
    Mighty Member Air Wave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    1,327

    Default

    Folks, head over to the Batman and Wonder Woman forums to vote for your favorite Batman and Wonder Woman logos. I posted polls over there.

  5. #20
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,050

    Default

    Another little quirk about the DC logos that fascinated me was that in the '50s, '60s and maybe a bit in the '70s, there were two variant logos for most title characters. They would have one logo on the cover and a variant of that logo on the inside stories. This was true for Flash, Batman, Green Lantern, Justice League of America, Superman--and probably others I haven't looked into. I think this was the case for other comic book publishers, as well. I believe it was likewise for Tarzan's logo at Gold Key.

    I would guess this was partly because the demands of a cover were different from a story. The JLA logo for instance was horizontally longer and vertically shorter on the inside story which probably made it easer to fit on the page.

    My baby loves love--my baby loves lovin'
    She's got what it takes and she knows how to use it

    (another Tony Burrows one hit wonder)

  6. #21
    Mighty Member Air Wave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    1,327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Another little quirk about the DC logos that fascinated me was that in the '50s, '60s and maybe a bit in the '70s, there were two variant logos for most title characters. They would have one logo on the cover and a variant of that logo on the inside stories. This was true for Flash, Batman, Green Lantern, Justice League of America, Superman--and probably others I haven't looked into. I think this was the case for other comic book publishers, as well. I believe it was likewise for Tarzan's logo at Gold Key.

    I would guess this was partly because the demands of a cover were different from a story. The JLA logo for instance was horizontally longer and vertically shorter on the inside story which probably made it easer to fit on the page.
    I didn't even dig into the insides or anything other than actual character's own book covers. It would've been just too much.

  7. #22
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Air Wave View Post
    I didn't even dig into the insides or anything other than actual character's own book covers. It would've been just too much.
    This is something I became aware of in the early '70s when I got BATMAN FROM THE 30S TO THE 70S and SUPERMAN FROM THE 30S TO THE 70S. Those had pages with thumbnails of covers from the respective decades. With BATMAN, the inside logo was always slightly different--a different head and black shading on the inside logo, no black shading (except for the head) on the cover. While, in 1952, they dropped the black shading on the SUPERMAN cover logo and used colour contrast instead--but the inside story kept the black shading. For WORLD'S FINEST COMICS, they did the same thing with respect to the Batman and Superman logos on the inside and on the cover.

    My baby loves love--my baby loves lovin'
    She's got what it takes and she knows how to use it

    (another Tony Burrows one hit wonder)

  8. #23
    Ultimate Member Lee Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    8,069

    Default

    I'm glad that DC and Marvel have gotten over the need to 'un-comic book' their logos.
    Most of them have been flat with no sense of depth.

    Right now, my favorite logo is probably The Defenders.
    "The definition of all ages is itís not just for little kids." - Greg Goldstein, President of IDW.
    Currently reading: Future Quest, Scooby Doo Team-Up

  9. #24
    Mighty Member Air Wave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    1,327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    This is something I became aware of in the early '70s when I got BATMAN FROM THE 30S TO THE 70S and SUPERMAN FROM THE 30S TO THE 70S.
    I loved those books. Read them over and over again.

  10. #25
    Mighty Member Air Wave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    1,327

    Default

    Do you all think I should do a Superman poll? Is it worth it?

  11. #26
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Air Wave View Post
    Do you all think I should do a Superman poll? Is it worth it?
    Even though the differences in the logo may seem picayune--and it might be tough to find the slight variations--I still would be interested in seeing them compared. But I don't know how many other people would care.

    My baby loves love--my baby loves lovin'
    She's got what it takes and she knows how to use it

    (another Tony Burrows one hit wonder)

  12. #27
    Mighty Member Air Wave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    1,327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Even though the differences in the logo may seem picayune--and it might be tough to find the slight variations--I still would be interested in seeing them compared. But I don't know how many other people would care.
    You're gonna make me do it.

  13. #28
    Fantastic Member NeathBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    330

    Default

    93EC0A86-4AD5-4A20-8236-1FFC09545963.jpg

    Would love to see this revived if they bring back the original JSA

  14. #29
    Mighty Member Air Wave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    1,327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Air Wave View Post
    You're gonna make me do it.
    Ya know what? I can't. The changes are just too subtle. However, here are logos from every 50 issues, starting with #1. This takes us to 1984. I'll add more later. See if you can detect any changes.

    Screen Shot 2017-10-17 at 9.44.43 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2017-10-17 at 9.49.42 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2017-10-17 at 9.50.09 AM.jpg

  15. #30

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •