Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 54
  1. #31
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    This is pretty much how Superman has been since Rebirth. His main focus now is Jon. At times it seems like heís just a worried father and no longer the champion of humanity. Obviously thereís nothing wrong with a father showing concern for his child but it seems like thatís the focus of most of his recent stories. One of the reasons why Iím not a big fan of Jon.
    Yeah, Superdad isn't really my cup of tea either if he's being written like this... only a matter of time before he gets the Parker scenario of choice between loosing Lois/Jon or some blameless innocent and not be able to save both.

    It could work... but tbh I would want the writer to be more Morrison who could write Superman as being able to leave a grievously injured Lois and save both her and the Multiverse at the same time... not do one before the other.

  2. #32
    Astonishing Member j9ac9k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,254

    Default

    I haven't seen this comparison mentioned yet, but the "Dark Knights" were almost certainly inspired by the "Dark Judges", no? The Batman Who Laughs is reminiscent of Judge Death and Merciless' helmet looks like Judge Fear. I didn't want to invest in all the one-shots featuring all the Dark Knights, so I wish they could have more of a spotlight in the main story. Maybe I'll wait for them all to be on sale at some point just to see what they're about...

    Overall, I am liking the dark tone of this mixed with the "comic booky" nonsense of it all. That bit of light-heartedness is a nice balance to the darkness that the characters in the story are experiencing. It reminds me of that two-parter (can you believe people used to be able to tell effective stories in such a short time back then?) in X-Men when Kulan Gath transformed New York City and the various NYC heroes had to band together in a hopeless attack on the Big Bad while characters were dying left and right. My favorite bit of silliness was Batman's convoluted warning to Superman (similar to Batman unravelling Toyman's hint in the first issue), but Superman was never the sharpest tool in the shed. (at least not in this continuity )

  3. #33
    I am the law Judge Dredd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mega-City One
    Posts
    1,260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I haven't seen this comparison mentioned yet, but the "Dark Knights" were almost certainly inspired by the "Dark Judges", no? The Batman Who Laughs is reminiscent of Judge Death and Merciless' helmet looks like Judge Fear. I didn't want to invest in all the one-shots featuring all the Dark Knights, so I wish they could have more of a spotlight in the main story. Maybe I'll wait for them all to be on sale at some point just to see what they're about...

    Overall, I am liking the dark tone of this mixed with the "comic booky" nonsense of it all. That bit of light-heartedness is a nice balance to the darkness that the characters in the story are experiencing. It reminds me of that two-parter (can you believe people used to be able to tell effective stories in such a short time back then?) in X-Men when Kulan Gath transformed New York City and the various NYC heroes had to band together in a hopeless attack on the Big Bad while characters were dying left and right. My favorite bit of silliness was Batman's convoluted warning to Superman (similar to Batman unravelling Toyman's hint in the first issue), but Superman was never the sharpest tool in the shed. (at least not in this continuity )
    When I first saw Batman Who Laughs I thought of Judge Death immediately he just does not have this hiss. They could bring back Judge Joker from Die Laughing and he can go back to killing people with laughter, although the Dark Judges were to much for him to much slaughter not enough fun.

  4. #34
    Astonishing Member dietrich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    4,331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PowerWing View Post
    what happened to nightwing, robin and green arrow after the portal?
    I'm sure we'll find out later

  5. #35
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    This is pretty much how Superman has been since Rebirth. His main focus now is Jon. At times it seems like he’s just a worried father and no longer the champion of humanity. Obviously there’s nothing wrong with a father showing concern for his child but it seems like that’s the focus of most of his recent stories. One of the reasons why I’m not a big fan of Jon.
    I had similar concerns about the portrayal of Wally West late in his own run as the star of THE FLASH, with his kids becoming the focus of the stories. Nothing against the idea of Wally being happy with his family, but it did force the hero into a storytelling straitjacket wherein the majority of stories would concern protecting/teaching his kids. Again, nothing wrong with that, except I wasn't prepared for THE FLASH to reorient its storytelling around that central concept.

    Similarly, I like Jon/Superboy as a character, but I don't know how sustainable he is in terms of not limiting Superman to a certain kind of storytelling paradigm.

    Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

    First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

    First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

  6. #36
    Taqutio Vice Robanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I had similar concerns about the portrayal of Wally West late in his own run as the star of THE FLASH, with his kids becoming the focus of the stories. Nothing against the idea of Wally being happy with his family, but it did force the hero into a storytelling straitjacket wherein the majority of stories would concern protecting/teaching his kids. Again, nothing wrong with that, except I wasn't prepared for THE FLASH to reorient its storytelling around that central concept.

    Similarly, I like Jon/Superboy as a character, but I don't know how sustainable he is in terms of not limiting Superman to a certain kind of storytelling paradigm.

    Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    My hope is that once Jon stories play out a little more, they will relax on him and stories involving Jon will become more occasional. This is more likely as he forms new connections.

    I think Jon is great and am enjoying Superdad, for what is worth, but I don't want it to wear out its welcome.

  7. #37
    Incredible Member Grim Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I haven't seen this comparison mentioned yet, but the "Dark Knights" were almost certainly inspired by the "Dark Judges", no? The Batman Who Laughs is reminiscent of Judge Death and Merciless' helmet looks like Judge Fear. I didn't want to invest in all the one-shots featuring all the Dark Knights, so I wish they could have more of a spotlight in the main story. Maybe I'll wait for them all to be on sale at some point just to see what they're about...

    Overall, I am liking the dark tone of this mixed with the "comic booky" nonsense of it all. That bit of light-heartedness is a nice balance to the darkness that the characters in the story are experiencing. It reminds me of that two-parter (can you believe people used to be able to tell effective stories in such a short time back then?) in X-Men when Kulan Gath transformed New York City and the various NYC heroes had to band together in a hopeless attack on the Big Bad while characters were dying left and right. My favorite bit of silliness was Batman's convoluted warning to Superman (similar to Batman unravelling Toyman's hint in the first issue), but Superman was never the sharpest tool in the shed. (at least not in this continuity )
    I've noticed that as well. I'm kind of surprised Brian Bolland hasn't said something about it they look so close.

  8. #38
    Heir of Batman adrikito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Teen Titans Tower
    Posts
    4,074

    Default

    Something new of dark knights for FEBRUARY:

    https://www.newsarama.com/36924-dark...ld-hunt-1.html

  9. #39
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim Ghost View Post
    I've noticed that as well. I'm kind of surprised Brian Bolland hasn't said something about it they look so close.
    You could make the same for whoever designed Genocide for Wonder Woman.

  10. #40
    Astonishing Member CPSparkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    Something new of dark knights for FEBRUARY:

    https://www.newsarama.com/36924-dark...ld-hunt-1.html
    So these guys are here to stay now

  11. #41
    Incredible Member Korath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    820

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    So these guys are here to stay now
    I'm not sure. This Dark Hunt is probably meant to happen somewhere between the Bats out of Hell crossover, Metal 5-6 or something. I'm not sure the Dark Knights will linger in the future (save perhaps the BWL their leader).

  12. #42
    Stuck in Limbo Red obin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    988

    Default

    They kind of swim over the fact that lois got doomsday-ified.
    "You can't be everywhere, you can't do it all"
    "I'm not Batman, I have friends."
    "But listen, call yourself Bat-Chick, Knightbat, or Black Robin- the point is, don't forget- you have a family."
    "You don't need me. This is a job for.........Alfred!" -Tim Drake

    "Dear Diary, I know what my next science project is going to be called: "My love/hate relationship with Gravity........And it was only then that young Stephanie truly realized gravity would forever be her enemy. "-Stephanie Brown

  13. #43
    Incredible Member Korath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    820

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red obin View Post
    They kind of swim over the fact that lois got doomsday-ified.
    It'll be fully explored in the Devastator tie-in, I'm betting on it. That and Jimmy.

  14. #44
    Stuck in Limbo Red obin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    988

    Default

    Also it seems there is a batman within the devastator as seen in flaming bar scene where a batman with doomsday logo is seen.

    Doomsday lois i just found obscure because at first i thought it was devastator earth but it was actually prime earth. I forgot they have prime earth scenes, albeit short ones in the tie ins, thought they just had origins.
    "You can't be everywhere, you can't do it all"
    "I'm not Batman, I have friends."
    "But listen, call yourself Bat-Chick, Knightbat, or Black Robin- the point is, don't forget- you have a family."
    "You don't need me. This is a job for.........Alfred!" -Tim Drake

    "Dear Diary, I know what my next science project is going to be called: "My love/hate relationship with Gravity........And it was only then that young Stephanie truly realized gravity would forever be her enemy. "-Stephanie Brown

  15. #45
    Ultimate Member Robotman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    It'll be fully explored in the Devastator tie-in, I'm betting on it. That and Jimmy.
    This is a problem i have with this book. it seems like a lot of the action and story points are taking place off page/in other books. This was a big issue with event stories in the late 80s and early 90s. way too much happened in the tie ins which created a big hole in the actual series. in issue 3 Steel, Terrific, and everyone else were already at the Oblivion Bar and Nightwing and Damian were at in their medieval warrior garb. i know whats going on because i'm reading the tie ins, but i wonder how this story will read when collected.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •