Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bruce Timm

Spectacular Member TheSeaDragon's Avatar

Default Bruce Timm

Hi.

I will go striaght to the point , what do you guys think of his work . Personally, i recognize his contribution , specifically to the Batworld, but i think his vision of the DCU is kinda.....i dont like the word but i will say it, anyways,........ overrated
    Several people says JLU is the best incarnation of the DCU ever, and i honestly think thats hyperbolic . The series have several moments of makin batman look cool at the expense of other leaguers, and of course, is to blame fo he existence of wonderbat , aka the ship that is not actually a ship but just Diana havin a school girl kind of Crush, kin da disrespectful to the premiere female hero

I said this in this board because the Superman portrayal is one thing that some people is not happy about. So, im interested in this fandom pooint of view
    Last edited by TheSeaDragon; 10-10-2017 at 11:43 AM.

I loved his Superman in Justice League Unlimited. You want an aggressive Superman? See him beat the hell out of Captain Atom and Darkseid.

I've said enough about this topic, but after The Killing Joke and Batman and Harley Quinn, I started wondering if much of his good work in the past was largely a result of working with other talented people.

As for his Superman work, I think it started pretty badly but got better through the years.

Invincible Member Sacred Knight's Avatar

Great with Batman TAS, has been largely overrated ever since.
    They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son. - Jor-El.

Astonishing Member

Yesterday: One of the best storytellers and producers in the animated medium
    Today: Really needs to put some trousers on

Spectacular Member TheSeaDragon's Avatar

Looks like the KJ move put him down of the pedestal for several people.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSeaDragon View Post
    Looks like the KJ move put him down of the pedestal for several people.
    that and harley quinn movie.

Astonishing Member superduperman's Avatar

I've always seen the DCAU as basically a Bat universe first. Because everything revolves around him. It's sort of like a more serious version of the Batman Brave and Bold cartoon. This is why I've always had a problem with that version of Superman. I know he defined Superman for an entire generation but it's obvious he wanted to work with Batman and was forced to work with the rest of the DCU. The fact that something like Batman Beyond pre-dates a Justice League cartoon kind of speaks for itself. And it was usually at Superman's expense. In JLU he was the guy who was always the easiest to manipulate, and in BB he was controlled by a Starro for years. That tells you all you need to know.
    Listen, lady! I am thirteen years old and driving a Bat-hog through the Amazon on a Tuesday morning! I am ALREADY winning!

-Robin

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I've always seen the DCAU as basically a Bat universe first. Because everything revolves around him. It's sort of like a more serious version of the Batman Brave and Bold cartoon. This is why I've always had a problem with that version of Superman. I know he defined Superman for an entire generation but it's obvious he wanted to work with Batman and was forced to work with the rest of the DCU. The fact that something like Batman Beyond pre-dates a Justice League cartoon kind of speaks for itself. And it was usually at Superman's expense. In JLU he was the guy who was always the easiest to manipulate, and in BB he was controlled by a Starro for years. That tells you all you need to know.
    Still doesn't explain his whole pairing or Bruce and Babs (the comics went a step further). Even for Batman fans, that has been extremely unpopular (and it was made worse with the animated "The Killing Joke" film). Or basically tossing Dick/Nightwing to the curb.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    The fact that something like Batman Beyond pre-dates a Justice League cartoon kind of speaks for itself.
    To be fair, it's a helluva lot easier to make a BB cartoon than JL. The licensing issues alone make a JL show a lot bigger of a hassle, let alone writing for the many different characters, hiring and casting voice actors, etc.

Astonishing Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I've never cared of the Timmverse, so I don't remember much of these old shows. I have a vague memory of Superman being often electrocuted.

I remenber him receiving explosions in the face, more often that not

Astonishing Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    I've never cared of the Timmverse, so I don't remember much of these old shows. I have a vague memory of Superman being often electrocuted.
    There were a few good episodes but they were clearly following the "humanize him by weakening him" mentality.
    Listen, lady! I am thirteen years old and driving a Bat-hog through the Amazon on a Tuesday morning! I am ALREADY winning!

-Robin

His shows starting from Batman TAS to JLU are very good to introduce someone to DC. Granted Batman was placed front and centre. But the shows were very good. Kids, teens, adults everyone can enjoy that.

Batman was perfect. A distilled version which takes everything great about the character. I would have wanted more of the Bat family. But it is fine. I doubt there is a better Batman anywhere else except for the comics.

Superman was the first one i saw. I loved it. Again to introduce someone it is great. Everyone can enjoy it. It is a really great show.

Batman of The Future: i have not seen that. I don't like the concept. To alienate him from his Bat Family is not appealing to me. He was bereft of family. He made one. For Batman his family is a great achievement. I have heard it is good. I did not catch it the first time. But i have no plans to catch up.

JL/JLU: I loved them absolutely. They are why i have love for DC. I loved both of them. I continue to do so.

Batman was too much in the shows. I became a Batman fan due to them. It is telling that I was not the fan of Superman. I liked him. Had it not been for the Justice League, Superman would have been my favorite. But Batman was head and shoulders above everyone else in JL. He was so awesome.

I can't say about his recent work. Haven't seen that. But i agree that he is putting in sex where it shall not be. Bat and Barbara is too much. Harley was unnecessary.

I am ever thankful to the team which includes Timm. Without them i would never have been a fan of DC. Marvel movies of all kinds are great since 2000. As an introduction it is perfect. They shall take lessons from these shows in DCEU. It works perfectly as a gateway.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 10-10-2017 at 10:41 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

His Superman is awful and only got progressively worse too.

I loved Batman Beyond so much though. I have nothing but fond memories of that show, and still can watch it now and then (and I don't usually ever watch animation). So it depends!
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 10-10-2017 at 07:59 PM.
    Follow your inner moonlight, do not hide the madness. -Ginsberg