Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 145
  1. #1
    World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    576

    Default Amazing Spider-Man 789 Discussion

    I thought Id make a thread specifically to discuss the issue rather than taking the thread originally about the preview off-topic.

  2. #2
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    818

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    I thought I’d make a thread specifically to discuss the issue rather than taking the thread originally about the preview off-topic.
    Peter seems to be tired of Peter Parker while he is enjoying being Spider Man. I wonder if he is thinking of quitting the Peter Parker identity.

  3. #3
    World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    576

    Default

    My thoughts:

    Overall, this issue was really bad IMO. Peter was so pathetic this issue (spending weeks moping around in Bobbi's apartment? Ignoring Harry's calls and being completely irresponsible regarding his company's IP which he was protecting before?) and Bobbi's character fluctuates wildly (from being a complete POS in the first part to being supportive in the last part of the issue). Peter's "friends" were written so badly as well, what with them getting together and making fun of Peter behind his back (especially MJ). I think everyone could see the foreshadowing of Peter becoming a science writer at the Bugle a mile away, but that's hardly an interesting status quo for Peter. This issue doesn't leave any reason why Peter is hated by everyone (he was the only tech CEO who stood up to Hydra, people should love him) and doesn't bother to explain why Peter doesn't just become a freelance inventor selling patents to other companies instead of becoming broke again.

    Overall, if this is what Legacy is bringing to Spider-Man, I'm staying as far away as I can. Every time Marvel tries to undo character progression and being Spider-Man "back to basics" (which I predict will soon become a trigger phrase for Spider-Man fans) - ie. Clone Saga, Brand New Day, now Legacy, etc. - they just end up ruining the character and providing evidence that Marvel will never let Peter make any meaningful progression. And if Peter is always going to remain stagnant, why should anyone care about his stories? I think they really should take a page out of DC's book, especially regarding their treatment of Batman (which is ironic since Marvel used to be the company which was more open to progressive storytelling) if they don't want to continue to drive their sales into the ground.

    But I don’t want to be COMPLETELY negative, so here are some of the good things about this issue. The art and colouring were great, as has been par for the course for most of this volume of ASM. I also liked the last 2 or so pages with Spider-Man fighting Griffin and earning some goodwill towards his superhero identity. The hook of Peter possibly shedding off his life as Peter Parker and becoming Spider-Man all the way through, while very reminiscent of Batman, could be very interesting if done well - and I might end up taking a peek at 790 just to see what Slott plans on doing with that plot thread.

  4. #4
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    3,609

    Default

    Ah, the old familiar sting

    Peter dating a superhero who treats him like an ever so slightly affectionate Michelle Gonzalez, a party girl MJ who thinks Peter is "too old" to have his friends do something to life his spirits, Robbie the latest victim of character Slotter. Just another day at the out of touch Spider-office.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 10-11-2017 at 10:33 AM.

  5. #5
    World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    Peter seems to be tired of Peter Parker while he is enjoying being Spider Man. I wonder if he is thinking of quitting the Peter Parker identity.
    Yes, I noticed that as well! It was one of the few things that seemed interesting, for me, about the title going forwards into Legacy. I mean, it’s a bit of a Batman ripoff, but seeing how it works for Peter could still be fun, depending where Slott takes it. I just didn’t buy the events that lead to Peter feeling this way.

  6. #6
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    818

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Ah, the old familiar sting

    Peter dating a superhero who treats him like an ever so slightly affectionate Michelle Gomez, a party girl MJ who thinks Peter is "too old" to have his friends do something to life his spirits, Robbie the latest victim of character Slotter. Just another day at the out of touch Spider-office.
    No wonder Peter said "Who needs Peter Parker when I can be Spidey any time I want to" at the end of the issue.

  7. #7
    Notorious M.O.S. Kuwagaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,095

    Default

    I actually picked it up because I liked the preview so much. The whole issue in context was pretty decent.

    It's funny because I recently saw Spider-Man 2, a movie I really loved when it came out. And I got to the point of saying, "ugh, enough" when they just wouldn't stop laying it on. I felt like that here, but since it was just one issue of the new direction, I'll pick it up next time and see if it's any better.

  8. #8
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    32

    Default

    I really enjoyed the issue. Bobbi is a lovable dick but screw Robbie. Pete had a point. And I would like to see a story where Pete went full time Spidey but I dont think that's happening since it looks like hes getting a job at the Bugle. Which doesnt make sense since why would they hire someone they crapped on so hard?

  9. #9
    Niffleheim
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    6,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by invincibledeez View Post
    I really enjoyed the issue. Bobbi is a lovable dick but screw Robbie. Pete had a point. And I would like to see a story where Pete went full time Spidey but I dont think that's happening since it looks like hes getting a job at the Bugle. Which doesnt make sense since why would they hire someone they crapped on so hard?
    They need a dumb it down writer in the science section for the common folks lol!

  10. #10
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    650

    Default

    People are just an amount of ungrateful sons of (*censored*)!!!!!!!

    OK, it's true, Peter really messed up, but they only focus on his mistakes after all he has done?:
    + He stopped the zombie apocalypse from the carrion virus.
    + He helped to stop Scorpio and the zodiac.
    + He helped to free Silver Sable's country from Norman Osborn.
    + Even although it wasn't the best move, he did the right thing destroying everything in Parker Industries before Octopus AND Hydra put their tentacles on it.

    And nobody recognize his success? Not even the Avengers?!!! (By the way, Parker Industries' fallout was actually Hydra Cap's fault, as far as I see). And not even his friends try to support him?!!! I know Peter doesn't do this for gratitude, but I wouldn't blame him if he decides to quit helping such a bunch of imbeciles and look only after himself from now on!!

  11. #11
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    6,982

    Default

    Yeah, even the Avengers. They don't know the truth of what happened. They don't know Peter is Spidey - if they did, he'd have probably been kicked off the team. Nadia yelled at Spidey because Peter lost them their HQ... not knowing that the person she was angry at was actually the person under the mask!

  12. #12
    Spectacular Member SilverSpider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Land of Dreams
    Posts
    177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    People are just an amount of ungrateful sons of (*censored*)!!!!!!!

    OK, it's true, Peter really messed up, but they only focus on his mistakes after all he has done?:
    + He stopped the zombie apocalypse from the carrion virus.
    + He helped to stop Scorpio and the zodiac.
    + He helped to free Silver Sable's country from Norman Osborn.
    + Even although it wasn't the best move, he did the right thing destroying everything in Parker Industries before Octopus AND Hydra put their tentacles on it.

    And nobody recognize his success? Not even the Avengers?!!! (By the way, Parker Industries' fallout was actually Hydra Cap's fault, as far as I see). And not even his friends try to support him?!!! I know Peter doesn't do this for gratitude, but I wouldn't blame him if he decides to quit helping such a bunch of imbeciles and look only after himself from now on!!
    Noone could blame him, hell I would if I were him in that situation. Thenagain I'm not a hero obviously
    Creativity is awesome.

    It's a cruel world, that doesn't care for you. Which is why remember to always smile.

  13. #13
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Peter was so pathetic this issue (spending weeks moping around in Bobbi's apartment? Ignoring Harry's calls and being completely irresponsible regarding his company's IP which he was protecting before?) and Bobbi's character fluctuates wildly (from being a complete POS in the first part to being supportive in the last part of the issue).
    I don't think Peter was pathetic at all. He's at a bit of a low point here but we know he'll climb back up.

    Also, I don't see Bobbi's character as fluctuating wildly. And definitely not being a "complete POS". She gives him some affectionate ball busting and essentially tells him to start getting himself in gear. Most would not find that anything other than what any friend and/or lover would do. Pete's not going to take anything Bobbi says as mean-spirited because it clearly isn't meant to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Peter's "friends" were written so badly as well, what with them getting together and making fun of Peter behind his back (especially MJ).
    This is a ridiculous reading of what actually happens in the issue. All of Pete's friends - especially MJ - are sympathetic to his current problems. No one makes fun of him in this issue and when recalling the last time they had to help a down and out Peter and they refurbished his pad (nice old school shout out on Slott's part), MJ simply notes that he's too old for that now and something like that would likely only be embarrassing for him, saying "Poor Petey..."

    These people clearly care about Peter and aren't making fun of him in the least.

    Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    I think everyone could see the foreshadowing of Peter becoming a science writer at the Bugle a mile away, but that's hardly an interesting status quo for Peter. This issue doesn't leave any reason why Peter is hated by everyone (he was the only tech CEO who stood up to Hydra, people should love him) and doesn't bother to explain why Peter doesn't just become a freelance inventor selling patents to other companies instead of becoming broke again.
    The foreshadowing in this issue wasn't meant to be subtle so no one would've missed it. However, as some people - including yourself - were bitching in advance about how Slott was just going to make Peter a photographer again (despite Slott saying ahead of time that he wasn't), clearly his new position wasn't something that "everyone" saw coming.

    Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Overall, if this is what Legacy is bringing to Spider-Man, I'm staying as far away as I can. Every time Marvel tries to undo character progression and being Spider-Man "back to basics" (which I predict will soon become a trigger phrase for Spider-Man fans) - ie. Clone Saga, Brand New Day, now Legacy, etc. - they just end up ruining the character and providing evidence that Marvel will never let Peter make any meaningful progression. And if Peter is always going to remain stagnant, why should anyone care about his stories? I think they really should take a page out of DC's book, especially regarding their treatment of Batman (which is ironic since Marvel used to be the company which was more open to progressive storytelling) if they don't want to continue to drive their sales into the ground.
    At the moment, Peter is currently dating Mockingbird - a completely new relationship for him - and is lined up to start a job at the Bugle that he's never held before. How is that keeping the character "stagnant?"
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 10-11-2017 at 12:11 PM.

  14. #14
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    People are just an amount of ungrateful sons of (*censored*)!!!!!!!

    OK, it's true, Peter really messed up, but they only focus on his mistakes after all he has done?:
    + He stopped the zombie apocalypse from the carrion virus.
    + He helped to stop Scorpio and the zodiac.
    + He helped to free Silver Sable's country from Norman Osborn.
    + Even although it wasn't the best move, he did the right thing destroying everything in Parker Industries before Octopus AND Hydra put their tentacles on it.

    And nobody recognize his success? Not even the Avengers?!!! (By the way, Parker Industries' fallout was actually Hydra Cap's fault, as far as I see). And not even his friends try to support him?!!! I know Peter doesn't do this for gratitude, but I wouldn't blame him if he decides to quit helping such a bunch of imbeciles and look only after himself from now on!!
    We haven't seen the reactions of every single person around Peter/Spidey yet. Some might be more supportive than others.

    But Peter/Spidey being dumped on - even when it's not fully deserved - is a staple of the character so it's not surprising that he isn't getting much credit for his good deeds.

  15. #15
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    104

    Default

    I can't say I enjoy this return to status quo. There were few more things that could be done with CEO Parker before it's over and at the moment nothing in a new-old direction for his character appears to be nearly as good.

    His romance with Mockingbird could be it since he rarely dates female superheroes.

    Though wasn't Dan Slott the writer who once said that he wouldn't have Peter date Captain Marvel, when someone asked about this their one-off meeting in the past, because it goes against his everyman status? It was a long time ago so I could be confusing his with someone else.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •