Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the problem is that there's hardly ever any middle ground with Slott.

If Slot wants to try and go into "classic Spider-Man" with a down-on-his-luck Peter, he goes overboard with it and emphasizes how much of a loser and layabout Peter can look and that people can walk all over him.

If Slott wants to try for a "successful Peter," he goes overboard with an instant tech company that spins out kooky gadgets, vehicles, and really changes the feel of Peter/Spider-Man.
    This is precisely why i can't get on board with Slott, with JSM i could get that balance but Slott completely lacks it. I don't want to see a hated Peter and loved Spider-man or vice versa, i want a balance that i haven't seen since the JSM run.

Not gonna lie, the first half of the issue was rough. I haven't been really keeping up with stuff lately, but it just looked odd seeing him in this position. The part where MJ talked about how he was too old to surprise was also pretty bad. I like the fact that Mockingbird helped him clear his mind by getting him to put the costume back on to fight crime. So it started bad, but ended better than I was expecting. Seeing them kiss was pretty surprising, too.

I don't understand why the Griffin is such a joke of a villain, though. With his stats, he should be able to tear Spider-Man apart. It seems like he has trouble against everyone and no one takes him seriously.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I don't think it's so hard to fathom Robbie's position. He saw Peter making a very public screw-up and reported it. And privately, he explained why, without sugar-coating it. He's always been a mentor figure to Peter - telling him straight-up that he let a lot of people down is just him being honest. As readers, we know there's more to the downfall of PI than most will ever know but it's the mistakes that most people will see. And the downfall of PI did negatively impact a lot of people so Peter's going to have to just shoulder that.

Robbie's not out to hurt Peter - as we see in this issue, it's already occurred to him how to help him get back on his feet.
    This I can agree with. However, Robbie is also the kind of reporter who would report both sides of the story. If he is dealing in stone hard facts, then yes, Peter did let others down by destroying his company. Yet he did so to prevent Hydra's forces getting their hands on it. He had no other option but to pull a self-destruct on the whole thing. People are worse off now its gone, but It would have been much worse if Hydra had taken control.

Seriously...you do know that this is just the first issue of the new arc and that Peter won't be crashing on Bobbi's couch for the rest of his comic book existence, right?

And you do know that he's not going to be chased through the streets by an angry public in every issue forever and ever, right?

It's like some comic fans somehow have no idea how serialized fiction even works. Here's a tip - let the story play out.

We already have a very clear, impossible to miss hint in this issue that Peter will soon have a new job that makes use of his scientific expertise. He's going to bounce back and put his life back together. Guaranteed. Stop acting as though this issue is somehow the end of a journey rather than the start of one.
    Literally nothing about my post mentioned him crashing on Bobbi's couch or being chased through the streets. That's not the matter at all but the fact that it's basically shunting Peter back down to a status that he's long since outgrown. I'm sorry for all those who enjoy him being at the Bugle, but it just isn't interesting anymore even with it being in a new position. The Bugle is basically Peter's stomping grounds; it'll always have a place in his like, but he's evolved past working there. It's akin to working a part-time job at a store back in college and moving on to getting a professional job upon getting your degree only to come back to the store as a manager after something happens to the position. It's not the old position but it doesn't feel like a lateral move or even modest step down but rather a major step downward. And that's how I feel about this "new" status for Peter. We saw him living up to his potential as a scientist and genius and now he's back to a newspaper worker.

Fantastic Member

This issue was rough in places. Although there were a number of positive points to take from it.

Postives:
    • The art was phenomenal as always.
    • The foreshadowing of Peter becoming a science reporter for The Daily Bugle (a nice new spin that hasn't been done before.)
    • Harry and Liz back together again (this can only lead to trouble once Norman pops up again.)
    • Flash Thompson being used again.

Negatives:
    • Slott overdid the "Loveable Loser" angle to the point Peter came across as pathetic.
    • His "Best Friends" taking cheap shots behind his back. Especially MJ. That really surprised me, because if anyone would understand the reasons behind Peter's actions, it would be her. Plus May was tarnished with the same brush for allowing them to do that in her presence.
    • Peter shedding his life as Peter Parker and becoming Spider-Man fulltime has been done before. Back when he became "The Spider." Most notably when he became darker and more violent in the lead up to Amazing Spider-Man #400.
    • Not thrilled with Bobbi. Shall see how it goes.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Turlast View Post
    Not gonna lie, the first half of the issue was rough. I haven't been really keeping up with stuff lately, but it just looked odd seeing him in this position. The part where MJ talked about how he was too old to surprise was also pretty bad.
    Especially since earlier in this year, MJ gave him a surprise party over in Renew Your Vows

I like the fact that Mockingbird helped him clear his mind by getting him to put the costume back on to fight crime. So it started bad, but ended better than I was expecting. Seeing them kiss was pretty surprising, too.
    Why? They kissed in the Secret Empire story
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 10-13-2017 at 12:56 AM.

I never read Secret Empire. This issue is the 1st I've read in awhile since Clone Conspiracy. I missed a lot.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Turlast View Post
    I never read Secret Empire. This issue is the 1st I've read in awhile since Clone Conspiracy. I missed a lot.
    Ah, thanks for clarifying.

I wouldn't say you missed much, things were in a holding pattern up until Secret Empire.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by jyamen View Post
    wow...I loved this issue. You guys wanted classic down on his luck Peter, you get it and then you hate it? Girl problems, the entire old school cast back, no job, and now both his public and superhero personas are under fire by the media? Great setup. Def ready for more
    I actually have ZERO interest in this whatsoever. I'm tired of writers reverting to stuff that was done decades ago and assuming that it's going to work now. "Down on his luck Spidey who constantly gets crapped on" hasn't been interesting to me in a long time. It's no longer charming, it's just pathetic.

MOVE ON ALREADY WRITERS!! Stop living in the past.

Invincible Member

Seriously...you do know that this is just the first issue of the new arc and that Peter won't be crashing on Bobbi's couch for the rest of his comic book existence, right?

And you do know that he's not going to be chased through the streets by an angry public in every issue forever and ever, right?

It's like some comic fans somehow have no idea how serialized fiction even works. Here's a tip - let the story play out.

We already have a very clear, impossible to miss hint in this issue that Peter will soon have a new job that makes use of his scientific expertise. He's going to bounce back and put his life back together. Guaranteed. Stop acting as though this issue is somehow the end of a journey rather than the start of one.

Yeah and then down the road they will have Peter screw it all up again, lose everything, be a pathetic loser again, get a new job, and the cycle repeats itself again. Because they never actually let him grow and mature for any real length of time, he keeps screwing things up constantly, and it's no longer fun. If he were still a teenager, then maybe. But he's a 30-something adult with years of experience, he should not be screwing up in this way still.

So no, I will NOT "let the story play out" this time, because I know where it's going because it's what they always do with him. Sorry, tired of it.

This is the first issue of ASM I've picked up in several years and I think Slott nailed it.

I don't have any problem with the setup. It seems like classic Peter Parker to me. He did the right thing by destroying Parker Industries, but not in the most optimal way. Maybe someone with more business acumen could have pulled it off without all the collateral damage, but there's really no shame in that. Not everyone is cut out to be the CEO of a Fortune 500 tech company.

I thought the scene with Robbie was handled well. Robbie's journalism isn't driven by his emotions like Jonah's was; he feels obligated to look at the human cost of Peter's decision in spite of his own feelings about whether it was right or wrong. And let's be clear, saying Peter failed his employees isn't the same as arguing that he should have let his tech fall into Hydra's hands.

I definitely don't think Peter came across as a loser here. If I'd gone from billionaire to crashing on someone's couch for doing the right thing I'd be moping for a while too.

On another note, the jokes were really funny. I loved how Peter thought Bobbie was cutting out the article to protect his feelings, only to find she'd posted it on the fridge. And the notes on the food were hilarious.

I don't think Slott's heading toward Peter being Spidey all the time. That's already been done twice, once during the 'I am the Spider' phase and then with Mark Waid's 24/7 story arc. I think he's just showing that Peter sees Spider-Man as a release right now from his personal troubles. It's an interesting inversion, and one that's not too far off from the Lee/Ditko vibe, when Peter was getting harassed at school.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Glad to see Robertson, and it sure sounded like Robertson, the voice of reason at the Daily Bugle counter to Jameson , to me. Peter needed to hear about how his actions put people out of work, he also deserved to hear about how he needed to not mope and get back up. Looking forward to the rest of the transition. Still I admit to liking Horizon, but curious to see what the Daily Bugle deal wI'll be.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Yeah and then down the road they will have Peter screw it all up again, lose everything, be a pathetic loser again, get a new job, and the cycle repeats itself again. Because they never actually let him grow and mature for any real length of time, he keeps screwing things up constantly, and it's no longer fun. If he were still a teenager, then maybe. But he's a 30-something adult with years of experience, he should not be screwing up in this way still.

So no, I will NOT "let the story play out" this time, because I know where it's going because it's what they always do with him. Sorry, tired of it.
    That is what so many people do not understand or seem to not care to understand. This is the same pattern over and over and over again. Hell, even Doc Ock said this much when he was the Superior Spider-Man. Peter always mucks everything up and its the same repeated process. The lesson i learned on this site is to not waste my breath about it. People here are stuck in the same limbo as Marvel in that they need a pathetic Parker for some odd reason. This story reminded me too much of the 1998 reboot where MJ dies and suddenly everything May and Peter had was gone and he was sleeping in an alley. Granted, he was on a couch this issue but didn't he do that with Vin and Michelle? That was literally a decade ago in 2007 and in 1998 he was sleeping in an alley. In 1988 weren't he and MJ getting kicked out of their brownstone and live with Aunt May?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    That was literally a decade ago in 2007 and in 1998 he was sleeping in an alley.
    That was 2008 and 1999 respectively.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post

Then you're free to stop reading, of course.

But pointing out that life will get better for Peter but then get bad again and then good and so on is just acknowledging the cyclical nature of comics as well as the way that the pendulum must always swing in drama. If Peter never screwed things up, how boring of a book would that be? If he learned so well from every prior mistake that he never made a mistake again and misfortune never again knocked on his door, what kind of banal book would that be? Who wants to read a book where the protagonist - whether it be Peter or anyone else - never slips up?

And, by the way, Peter is not a 30-something adult and he never will be. He'll always be in his mid-20s, topping off at 27 at the oldest. Peter will never celebrate his 30th birthday in regular continuity. Point being, no comic character will ever truly go through a true maturation process. They'll always be essentially frozen in time. Either you accept that as the conceit of comic book characters - that they don't age and mature like normal people - or you don't.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 10-13-2017 at 09:47 AM.