Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Harvey Weinstein scandal: No honor among Hollywood elites?

When the scandal broke out, many actors including Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio, Meryl Streep, Angelina Jolie and Gywneth Paltrow are already speaking out about it. The entertainment industry has some stink in it but then I shouldn't be surprised that some women are willing to sell their dignity and sleep with Harvey Weinstein and maybe other Hollywood moguls for big favors like getting the cast roles they hungrily sought for. They probably have been doing it for decades. Maybe Hollywood isn't as clean as you think now. Harvey Weinstein is a disgusting piece of garbage but Even if it wasn't consensual, those women kept quiet about the sexual harassment as long as it helps enhancing their careers. If the women, who Weinstein had sexually assaulted, didn't like it, then why did it take so long for them to speak out about being sexually harassed by him?

The actors who weren't involved with Harvey Weinstein or another big-time exec probably knew about the sexual harassment for long, most likely from their friends or their wives who did it with him. I wonder if high-profile actresses including Vivien Leigh, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Elizabeth Taylor, Katharine Hepburn, Ingrid Bergman and Marilyn Monroe also did it? I wonder if the sex for favors stuff contributes to the actresses' divorces and drug addictions? How many high-profile actors would remain married to their spouses until their death?

Entertainment is not the only industry that is full of sex scandals. Politicians do it with their interns. Wall Street Businessmen do it with their clients. Company execs do it with their subordinates.
    Last edited by Zetsubou; 10-11-2017 at 11:03 PM.

Someone is judgy.

You realize a lot of these women are blackmailed by Hollywood suits who can destroy their careers with a phone call? It's more about preserving their future than 'doing a favor', at least that's what I imagine. Why else would anyone willingly touch Harvey Weinstein? Dignity is nice and everything, but it doesn't pay the bills.

Anyways, sexually harassing/assaulting adult women is probably just a fraction of the debauchery and degeneracy found in the Hollywood circuits.
    Last edited by Vegan Daddy; 10-11-2017 at 11:31 PM.

Yeah, let's blame the victims. How awesome and classy.
    A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker

Siddhartha Gautama.

Standing Member

I'm not that shocked. This is what everyone assumes goes on in Hollywood. And there's been reports about this and much worse for a hundred years now. Anyone remember Fatty Arbuckle?

The hypocrisy is a bit rich. Granted most of us don't live the high Hollywood lifestyle, but bad behaviour is not contained to the wealthy and the powerful. At a lower level, this kind of stuff goes on in work places, on college campuses, among our own social set--and even if you don't participate in it, you should be asking yourself questions about where to draw the line and what could you have done to change the behavour? Nobody's morally pure and I'm dubious of anyone who pretends to be.

That line about casting the first stone was delivered for a good reason. We all have skeletons in our closets we don't want to look at.
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ‬ Blessings of Beebo Be Upon You

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Every so often I ask myself, "how could he possibly have thought he'd get away with this -- so many incidents with so many different women over such a long period? In this age of instant 24-hour news and heavy surveillance of every celebrity's private life?"

And then I think, Jimmy Savile. Bill Cosby. Donald Trump. And God knows how many others that will come to light in the future.

It almost makes me not want to admire *anyone* for fear that I will one day have to hate myself for doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    Entertainment is not the only industry that is full of sex scandals. Politicians do it with their interns. Wall Street Businessmen do it with their clients. Company execs do it with their subordinates.
    As you say, it happens everywhere - and not even just in industries with millions of dollars - anytime there's someone who has a position of power over another, you'll find this kind of behavior and many times, people will turn a blind eye. It's no wonder people are afraid to speak out when there are people ready to jump on the victim and scrutinize them as much as the offender. (something similar happened in my office and the guy who was in charge is still here and the woman he sexually harassed eventually left - partially because she felt the people in charge - some of whom are women - clearly were able to accept his behavior) And I take issue with it being called a "sex scandal" - this is about a predator preying on victims.

Invincible Member TheInvisibleMan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Every so often I ask myself, "how could he possibly have thought he'd get away with this -- so many incidents with so many different women over such a long period? In this age of instant 24-hour news and heavy surveillance of every celebrity's private life?"

And then I think, Jimmy Savile. Bill Cosby. Donald Trump. And God knows how many others that will come to light in the future.

It almost makes me not want to admire *anyone* for fear that I will one day have to hate myself for doing so.
    indeed

I have a disturbing Bill Cosby story - so this was late 90s

He spoke at a lot of colleges during and after The Cosby Show

He was slated to speak at Southern CT State University (which is 10-15 min from where I live), a friend of mine was part of a student group that met with him prior to the speaking engagement

Apparently, he told someone he would be inclined to return if one or more of the female students would have dinner with him, they all declined (my friend included) save one

now I didnt hear about the rest of this story till much later on when I ran into my friend again a few years back

so this girl went to dinner with him on a Friday night, no one heard from her till Saturday night, and she transferred out at the end of that semester, basically disappeared
    “If you listen to the fans, you’ll find yourself sitting with them”

- Joe Kuharich

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I'm not that shocked. This is what everyone assumes goes on in Hollywood. And there's been reports about this and much worse for a hundred years now. Anyone remember Fatty Arbuckle?

The hypocrisy is a bit rich. Granted most of us don't live the high Hollywood lifestyle, but bad behaviour is not contained to the wealthy and the powerful. At a lower level, this kind of stuff goes on in work places, on college campuses, among our own social set--and even if you don't participate in it, you should be asking yourself questions about where to draw the line and what could you have done to change the behavour? Nobody's morally pure and I'm dubious of anyone who pretends to be.

That line about casting the first stone was delivered for a good reason. We all have skeletons in our closets we don't want to look at.
    This disgusting behavior is rampant and has been since almost the beginning of Hollywood but to be fair Fatty Arbuckle might not be a good example a lot of accounts point to him being railroaded by William Randolph Hearst. I mean the people at the party even called the Hotel Doctor when she got ill they weren't trying to hide it. It was after she went to the hospital that accusation were made and some were later proven to be extortion attempts. Hollywood has a long sad history of scumbags but Arbuckle does feel like guy who was falsely accused.

I'd like to point out Terry Crews was sexually assaulted a year ago and he feared coming forward out of fear of not being believed and ostracized from the business. I mean if a 240lb grown man with a career can be scared to come forward imagine young girls just starting in many cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I'd like to point out Terry Crews was sexually assaulted a year ago and he feared coming forward out of fear of not being believed and ostracized from the business. I mean if a 240lb grown man with a career can be scared to come forward imagine young girls just starting in many cases.
    and Terry is part of a successful network TV show, and was still scared of saying anything in fear that his future opportunities would be compromised

- Joe Kuharich

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I think Fatty Arbuckle's innocence is pretty well accepted now.

yes and no, a number of his films have been lost because of the scandal and the Arbuckle case is still looked at as a prime example of getting blacklisted in Hollywood

- Joe Kuharich

Standing Member

I was thinking more about the whole storm of controversy around Hollywood that erupted out of the Fatty Arbuckle affair and not his innocence. The licentious behavior in Hollywood shocked middle America. Arbuckle was the fall guy for other people's bad behaviour.

What does someone learn from the Weinstein affair if they're either a target or a witness? Well, you see that anyone who was a target didn't get justice and anyone who was a witness is damned if they report it and damned if they don't report it. So anyone right now who may be going through similar experiences doesn't have a lot of hope, if this is the example they're left with.

If you're the target of a predator and you report them, you have to worry about what could be done to you by the press. Will they dig through your personal life? Weinstein was able to use the press to destroy anyone who didn't do what he wanted.

If you're the witness, which may just be hearing second hand talk, you have to worry about people looking into your past and dragging up any bad acts from twenty or thirty years ago. Do you want to expose yourself to that kind of scrutiny? And is anyone going to believe you if you do speak up?

So everyone should look at how this affair is being reported--maybe more damage is being caused than good--if we lash out at everyone involved rather than the perpetrator himself.

I havent read all the alegations did this guy like full on rape anyone like Bill Cosby? Did he threaten peoples careers if they didnt sleep with him. Or was it a you scratch my back ill scratch yours(Still disgusting but much less so then the other two) .

@Jimkelly

I dont blame anyone for staying quite. But according to Rose Mcgowan Ben made a joke about it like it was funny. Most comedians knew about Cosby i dont blame them for not saying anything. Hannibal wasnt blowing a whistle he just made a joke about info that had been out there for awhile that wasnt reported or no one cared. And Cosbys legal team did a good job of supressing it. But the internet ran with it and that enboldened girls to come forward.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 10-12-2017 at 11:09 AM.

Standing Member

I saw a clip this morning of Gwyneth Paltrow on Letterman many years ago where Dave was making jokes about Harvey that seemed to be very on the nose, while Paltrow laughed nervously.

From what I've seen in the press, Weinstein harassed these women in private, where nobody could have seen what he was up to. So while people might have heard things, unless they were there they'd have no way of knowing what happened for sure. And sometimes you want to believe that it's not as bad as what you hear. Especially if your job is at stake.

Joking about things that make us uncomfortable is one of the ways we handle stress.