Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 58
  1. #16
    Invincible Member XPac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    18,296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    You don't get murderous gangs to shake hands and make peace. You send them to jail. Sam shouldn't be stupid enough to try that. Like the new costume a lot, but the story was very disappointing IMO.
    From a purely legal perpsective, that's probably what he should do. If you commit a crime you should go through proper due process, especially if the crimes are as serious as murder.

    But super heroes have danced around due process for years. 75% of the Kooky Quartet Avengers should have been in jail rather than hanging around Avengers mansion back in the day. Sam in particular probably would have strong feelings about giving these people a second chance. I wouldn't buy this from every hero, but I'd buy it from Sam.

  2. #17

    Default

    LOL

    That was hilarious.

    Sam Wilson, a guy who should know WAY better, creates a situation in which a man dies in front of him and a bunch of people are endangered by violent gang-bangers.

    Gotta say, I kind of like how accurate this is to how Sam's newfound unrealistic, out of touch view of reality would actually go down. He put feels above reals and someone got their brains blown out.

    Will Sam reassess his massive mistakes? Or will he follow the rules and double down? Hmm

  3. #18
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yagamifire View Post
    LOL

    That was hilarious.

    Sam Wilson, a guy who should know WAY better, creates a situation in which a man dies in front of him and a bunch of people are endangered by violent gang-bangers.
    Sam created a situation that he hoped would lead to a decrease in violence. Is it his fault that he didn't know a demon was involved? No.

    His intentions at bringing about a peaceful resolution were sound. It's not his fault that an unknown element derailed that.

  4. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yagamifire View Post
    LOL

    That was hilarious.

    Sam Wilson, a guy who should know WAY better, creates a situation in which a man dies in front of him and a bunch of people are endangered by violent gang-bangers.

    Gotta say, I kind of like how accurate this is to how Sam's newfound unrealistic, out of touch view of reality would actually go down. He put feels above reals and someone got their brains blown out.

    Will Sam reassess his massive mistakes? Or will he follow the rules and double down? Hmm
    Sam ain't the only one, I found the dialogue in this book hilarious for the wrong reasons. As someone born/living in Chicago(hood born/hood raised), I certainly didn't get a Chicago vibe from the story... so far. This all felt very "Meteor Man" to me. Honestly, I don't really care when comics go the social commentary route because something always feels off when these stories are told in a world super powered being and the like. Comics to me are about escapism, but when you're living the life and see how inaccurate it's presented in the "funny" pages, it's hard to take it serious... that's just my opinion though.

  5. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Sam created a situation that he hoped would lead to a decrease in violence. Is it his fault that he didn't know a demon was involved? No.

    His intentions at bringing about a peaceful resolution were sound. It's not his fault that an unknown element derailed that.
    Yes, I understand that Sam was unbelievably irresponsible and stupid. I don't care what his intentions were...it was a stupid action. His statements also show how wrong-headed he was as he blames EVERYTHING but the agency and desires of the people involved in the violence. It's naive in the extreme and would lead to EXACTLY what happened. He tried to be Cyrus and was simply lucky he didn't get his own head blown off. In fact, I would have laughed out loud if he had because of how incompetent he was shown to be. The Meteor Man comparison Sin Nick made is SUPER accurate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    Sam ain't the only one, I found the dialogue in this book hilarious for the wrong reasons. As someone born/living in Chicago(hood born/hood raised), I certainly didn't get a Chicago vibe from the story... so far. This all felt very "Meteor Man" to me. Honestly, I don't really care when comics go the social commentary route because something always feels off when these stories are told in a world super powered being and the like. Comics to me are about escapism, but when you're living the life and see how inaccurate it's presented in the "funny" pages, it's hard to take it serious... that's just my opinion though.
    Agreed. Reading this made me laugh in the same way it's funny to watch someone well meaning but totally ignorant try to do something in a viral video where you KNOW it's going to end poorly.

    I also prefer escapism in comics and seeing stuff like this in books makes me half laugh and half cringe. Sam is written as so totally ignorant that it's laughable.

  6. #21
    Spectacular Member Anthony W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    You don't get murderous gangs to shake hands and make peace. You send them to jail. Sam shouldn't be stupid enough to try that. Like the new costume a lot, but the story was very disappointing IMO.
    Whenever Marvel heroes try to venture outside of New York it doesn't go well. You would think that a city like Chicago would have a Superhero population that could handle some gangs. If you think this is bad just wait until Captain America goes on his journey of discovery.....again.

  7. #22
    Incredible Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    From a purely legal perpsective, that's probably what he should do. If you commit a crime you should go through proper due process, especially if the crimes are as serious as murder.

    But super heroes have danced around due process for years. 75% of the Kooky Quartet Avengers should have been in jail rather than hanging around Avengers mansion back in the day. Sam in particular probably would have strong feelings about giving these people a second chance. I wouldn't buy this from every hero, but I'd buy it from Sam.
    Yeah, the idea that a legit legal perspective should be considered in comic books is laughable. I mean, from a legal perspective, what is Punisher even still doing around? That guy would've gotten a life sentence years ago.

  8. #23
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    With the Orishas
    Posts
    4,037

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Sam Wilson is the kind of socially aware hero that would attempt to get opposing gang members to seek more productive and socially acceptable position in life so I for one, see nothing wrong with the approach he took within the story as presented.

    We have gang outreach initiatives in the real world, geared towards steering disadvantaged youths away from gang membership/activity so having Sam operating on this premise is logical unless one is of the mindset that such individuals are beyond redemption.
    Exactly.

    I think it's good idea for Sam to try to resolve the situation regarding the gangs peacefully.

    There's no way Sam Wilson can stop the gang violence and/or arrest all the gang members. Even if he did, it doesn't address the underlying problems that created the gangs in the first place.

  9. #24
    BAMF!!!!! KurtW95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    There's no way Sam Wilson can stop the gang violence and/or arrest all the gang members.
    Why not? These are killers. They belong behind bars.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

  10. #25
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    469

    Default

    Maybe Sam should call in Miles to venom blast black heart, black heart tossed all the avengers aside, Sam included, in Spider-man #1, so I know who’d I call to one shot black heart!

  11. #26
    BAMF!!!!! KurtW95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bossace View Post
    Maybe Sam should call in Miles to venom blast black heart, black heart tossed all the avengers aside, Sam included, in Spider-man #1, so I know who’d I call to one shot black heart!
    We already know who can defeat Blackheart.

    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

  12. #27
    Mighty Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Ruins of Genosha
    Posts
    1,936

    Default

    So what i got from this issue was Sam thought just going to the gangs off his name recognition as Falcon would bring them peacefully to the table.I thinnk Sam may have to lean more on his skills of being a social worker and someone that can interact with the people on a more personal level. I think this book maybe a good start as a hands on approach to Falcon and Patriot getting their feet wet as a duo. Nice start.

  13. #28
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Why not? These are killers. They belong behind bars.

    https://duckduckgo.com/?q=mediation+...v78-4__&ia=web

  14. #29
    Invincible Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    10,015

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    You don't get murderous gangs to shake hands and make peace. You send them to jail. Sam shouldn't be stupid enough to try that. Like the new costume a lot, but the story was very disappointing IMO.
    Are all gang members "killers"?
    Besides, don't you think law enforcement officials have already tried to arrest & convict the gang leaders?
    One other saying to consider: "Nature abhors a vacuum." Just because you do incarcerate the leaders of the gangs (if you're able to) doesn't mean all the violence necessary ends. Other gang members who weren't arrested may be very likely to take over as the new leaders and continue the violence, maybe even stepping up the levels of murders as they try to consolidate their power.
    If there are leaders already in place and you can bring about a truce, then you should be able to see a decrease in violence between those gangs / less collateral injuries to non-gang members who were unfortunate to be caught in the crossfire.

  15. #30
    Ultimate Member jackolover's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drakeon View Post
    Not a bad issue. Really dug the art.

    The thoughts on Steve was odd considering Sam knows that hydra cap was a cube alteration (Patriot even mentions this) so why would he think all of it was a lie. He gave Cap back the shield in Generations so he knows that the Cap he trusts still exists.
    I'm thinking Sam was okay with the returned good Steve, but shitty on the Hydra Steve for Hydra Caps betrayal of everything -America, the mission, the lie of making Sam believe him, and the Captain America uniform. I think Sam hates the Captain America symbol now, and that's why he gave it back. Sam doesn't want to be associated with it anymore, because it was a lie in Sams eyes.

    Quote Originally Posted by SignorMiracolo View Post
    I don't think the sequence means Falcon believes or consider Steve to be a liar or traitor, that's made clear by Patriot saying something along the lines of «we know it's been a cosmic cube messing with reality». It's more about the experience that Sam had, and the things he saw when Hydra raised and Steve was believed to be Hydra. Even if it all happened because of the cosmic cube, he learned the lesson that believing, and contributing to the belief, that a single person or idea can be perfect and flawless can lead to negative outcomes. Like the government thinking it's a good idea to give all the power to a single person or the people believing that if Captain America says something doesn't automatically means he and what he says are always right.
    This could be more the truth, but we'll have to see.
    Last edited by jackolover; 10-12-2017 at 04:58 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •