Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Cloonan, Fletcher & Kerschl Discuss "Gotham Academy" Enrollment

Becky Cloonan, Brenden Fletcher & Karl Kerschl discuss the unique premise of "Gotham Academy," the premiere boarding school of the DC Universe.

Full article here.

Really excited for this after reading the interview. How soon until we see this story?..... Gotham Academy is taken hostage by a super villain. One of the Bat family comes in to rescue them but gets injured. Without his/her help the kids have to work together and use the skills they learned at Gotham Academy to save the day. Would be a cool story.

This is amazingly exciting. The last time I read an interview like this and wished I already had the first issue in my hands was Ms. Marvel. This book will probably replace Wonder Woman as my sole DC title (depending how the Finches turn out).

It is very heartening to see the spirit of change brought along by Mark Doyle, and it's good to see that the innovation of books like Lumberjanes is spreading to the Big Two. I wonder if this will be the book to bring back Cassandra Cain?

And what was your pitch? Nancy Drew/Harry Potter/"Glee" comes to Gotham?

Fletcher: Almost. Minus the "Glee."
    Oh hell yeah.

I really hope Damien and Steph can show up at some point.
    Last edited by Kid A; 07-15-2014 at 06:35 AM.

Was going to say "pass" when I saw Becky Cloonan's name, but if she's not doing the art I might check it out. Hadn't hear of Brenden Fletcher, google just had an odd looking actor's work coming up but I'm guessing (hoping) that's not who they're talking about. Kerschl's art looks decent, and they definitely have a void when it comes to school-age heroes, so I'm hoping it ends up being decent. And if nothing else, at least they're trying something new instead of Bat-book #24 (though using the Gotham name helps).
    Formerly finfangfool

Kerschl: Much like the first "Harry Potter" started out as an innocent boarding school mystery story and then spiraled into a richer exploration of Hogwarts and the wizarding world. And it also got a lot darker. We're definitely following a similar path.

I like the sound of that. As much as I'm excited for this lighter tone/teen/coming-of-age story, this is Gotham. There has to be doom and gloom. This whole interview has gotten me more excited. I can't wait enough for this
    Currently Reading: Batman and Robin, Gotham Academy, The Last Broadcast, LOW, Southern Bastards, Swamp Thing

Well, now, that sounds like all kinds of awesome. I'll have to check it out.

Cannot wait to get my hands on this! I love that there's gloom but still appropriate for all ages.

I've got Batman in my Basement.

They did mention a character from BTAS and anyone of those kids would fit.

Sounds odd, cute, and intriguing.

Will definitely give it a shot. The writing team is completely unproven to me at this time, but Doyle is a strong editor and I believe he'll shepherd the talent as best as possible. Kerschel is already a god.

Sounds Rad, but I have to admit when they were saying the Pitch I have to admit Harry Potter didn't come to mind. My guess as this was going to be a cross between Gossip Girl and pretty little liars in Batman universe.

Like the sound of this a lot.

This....sounds really fun.

Now I'm intrigued.

Sounds like they got the idea from some of that "Gotham High"-esque fanart from tumblr and deviantart.

Could be interesting nonetheless.

I was originally skeptical, but this sounds fantastic if done right. Kudos to Mark Doyle for thinking outside the box