Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Incredible Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Underneath the Brooklyn Bridge
    Posts
    660

    Default What would happen if Bendis was put in a Geoff Johns like position at DC?

    Many people have speculated that one of the main factors that lead to Bendis's desire to go to DC is to become Chief Creative Officer at the company, a position held by Geoff Johns, but because of Johns's commitments to the DC films division, he is rumored to be backing away from comics.
    ( https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/10...n-warner-bros/ )

    So what do you think DC would look like if Bendis had strong creative control?

  2. #2
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,383

    Default

    Ahem the CCO position Johns has actually is more involved with the media tie-ins such as the cartoons, video games, tv shows and also movies. His remit doesn't actually cover comics. He was just involved in Rebirth and Nu52 because of position as DC's star writer and not because of his CCO position.

    If the most recent BC article is true, then Bendis was brought in to disrupt Johns involvement in the comics aspect of DC and the various books involved in Rebirth despite appearing to have no actual position in DC editorial. Another theory is that Johns brought him in (using his influence with the movies) to gain favor with editorial. But it's all rather confusing given how the article writers don't seem to have a good grasp of the internal politics/people at DC.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 11-09-2017 at 06:59 PM.

  3. #3
    Astonishing Member Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    3,150

    Default

    I think Bendis should have some tenure at DC first. Johns worked for DC for about a decade before he started climbing up the food chain. You can't bring in someone, even a name like BMB and just hand him a position like that. If the BC articles are to be believed, Bendis would already be given a lot of freedom, which is understandable, but don't give him too much pull just yet. Let's see what he gets to do in this company first.

  4. #4
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    24,220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I think Bendis should have some tenure at DC first. Johns worked for DC for about a decade before he started climbing up the food chain. You can't bring in someone, even a name like BMB and just hand him a position like that. If the BC articles are to be believed, Bendis would already be given a lot of freedom, which is understandable, but don't give him too much pull just yet. Let's see what he gets to do in this company first.
    Yeah, I really don't want them putting Bendis in such a major position before he's even written his first DC book yet.

  5. #5
    Astonishing Member sakuyamons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    2,260

    Default

    I'd finally go full Boom! Studios and never touch the Big 2 again.

  6. #6
    Astonishing Member Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    3,150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, I really don't want them putting Bendis in such a major position before he's even written his first DC book yet.
    I mean, I'm not saying Bendis doesn't deserve to be in a position like that, but it just doesn't feel right just yet. I saw another BC article claiming their "sources" told them Bendis was Johns' "worst nightmare" or whatever. lol These guys just love to start shit any chance they get.

  7. #7
    Astonishing Member sakuyamons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    2,260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I mean, I'm not saying Bendis doesn't deserve to be in a position like that, but it just doesn't feel right just yet. I saw another BC article claiming their "sources" told them Bendis was Johns' "worst nightmare" or whatever. lol These guys just love to start shit any chance they get.
    Geoff and Bendis seem very eager to work with each other. BC is awful tbh

  8. #8
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    24,220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I mean, I'm not saying Bendis doesn't deserve to be in a position like that, but it just doesn't feel right just yet. I saw another BC article claiming their "sources" told them Bendis was Johns' "worst nightmare" or whatever. lol These guys just love to start shit any chance they get.
    My experience with Bendis at Marvel makes me think he's not cut-out for a chief creative officer's position, at least compared to Johns.

    But I'm willing to see what he's like at DC before I pass any serious judgements.

    Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    Geoff and Bendis seem very eager to work with each other. BC is awful tbh
    Well, they're at least useful for leaks and certain behinds the scenes information sometimes .

  9. #9
    Superman of E-6 Thor-Ul's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Astounding World of Argon.
    Posts
    2,024

    Default

    I'm not the biggest fan of Bendis. I like few of their works (mostly Powers, he could return to them in Vertigo,considering than Michael Avon Oeming is working close to DC in Young Animal too), but I admit even if his narration is not my cup of tea, he is a good man of ideas, ok not always good idas, but different ideas and that could mean he can offer a different perspective of certain concepts.
    I must add than all this seen under a very optimist perspective.
    But think about this: we like the work of Geoff johns and we trust Geoff Johns. And if it was Geoff Johns the one who convinced Bendis to join DC, we should trust his judgment.
    I hope.
    If everything goes to hell, we can put Geoff and Bendis a lot of dislikes in any post DC related later.
    “When you're arguing with a fool, make sure he isn't doing the same thing.”

  10. #10
    Incredible Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Underneath the Brooklyn Bridge
    Posts
    660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Ahem the CCO position Johns has actually is more involved with the media tie-ins such as the cartoons, video games, tv shows and also movies. His remit doesn't actually cover comics. He was just involved in Rebirth and Nu52 because of position as DC's star writer and not because of his CCO position.

    If the most recent BC article is true, then Bendis was brought in to disrupt Johns involvement in the comics aspect of DC and the various books involved in Rebirth despite appearing to have no actual position in DC editorial. Another theory is that Johns brought him in (using his influence with the movies) to gain favor with editorial. But it's all rather confusing given how the article writers don't seem to have a good grasp of the internal politics/people at DC.
    Maybe not Geoff Johns's exact position, but just creative power over the DC Universe in general.

  11. #11
    Ultimate Member Lee Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    8,201

    Default

    I wouldn't be surprised.
    There's no telling what was offered to Bendis to get him to leave Marvel.
    "The definition of all ages is it’s not just for little kids." - Greg Goldstein, President of IDW.
    Currently reading: Camelot 3000, Dreadstar, Omega Men

  12. #12
    Heir of Batman adrikito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    3,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised.
    There's no telling what was offered to Bendis to get him to leave Marvel.
    Seems that marvel never wanted his participation in the films, but DC wants him even here.. get a raise..

    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/11...vel-dc-comics/

    Quote Originally Posted by Reservoir Dog View Post
    Last edited by adrikito; 11-10-2017 at 01:59 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •