Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Wonder Woman's Gods Should Not Be Relegated as Just Another Bunch of Meta Humans

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect them to be super above the human intellect, especially in terms of morality, but don't you think each Olympian god should be way more powerful than Wonder Woman, considering Diana is the daughter of Zeus and a immortal-living (age-wise) but mortal Amazon?

I don't mind them being used to help defeat Darkseid's army but I am certainly hoping that the invading Apokalyptian army came in full force, with or without Darkseid, to validate their necessary participation. It would seem rather silly, that an entire Pantheon of Greek Gods (at least 13 of them, not to even mention to the dozens of demi-gods that exist under Greek mythology that will be in the hundreds) is less effective than the Justice League (not to take anything away from the League). However, I can probably accept a story line that since gods exists within the worship of people, the greek gods were able to preserve themselves by having created the amazons while the other gods of myth died out. They were still around but weakened to almost meta human level, I can understand.

What's your take on this?

WW gods should be like GL Oans

GL Oans literally pretty much are just another bunch of metas.

And Darkseid is supposed to be a higher order of God than the Olympian bunch anyway.
    "One may be intelligent, and a Nazi. Then one is not decent. One may be decent and a Nazi. Then one is not intelligent. And one may be intelligent and decent. Then one is not a Nazi"
    - Gerhard Bronner

Spectacular Member

New Gods are singular in their world, Greek gods share their domains with other pantheons on earth and in universe.

Mighty Member

I wish the distinction between Old and New Gods was more Gaiman in its interpretation.

The Gaiman interpretation of the old gods is stuff that people made up and gave life through the power of belief.
    "One may be intelligent, and a Nazi. Then one is not decent. One may be decent and a Nazi. Then one is not intelligent. And one may be intelligent and decent. Then one is not a Nazi"
    - Gerhard Bronner

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    The Gaiman interpretation of the old gods is stuff that people made up and gave life through the power of belief.
    And that the New Gods are a fairly recent product of human achievement exponentially changing belief structure and cultural mechanics. Divine "power" is clearly a resource whose effectiveness and limitations are reliant on confidence of the god employing it. Old Gods should feel out of place and weak. New Gods should obey no other context than the one they agree to: Darkseid Is. The Old Gods should be terrified of the modern world, and the New Gods should have no understanding of their relationship to human thought.

maybe the problem is that us westeners do not think of gods as God(s), we were indocrinated early on that every other depiction of godhood is but fantasy because it does not comes from our cultral standards, and thus we fail in both portraying and understanding such concepts

that is imho why we see gods in comics as not much as ubermench instead of forces beyond nature whose rights and wrongs are but triffle human pettyness

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    And that the New Gods are a fairly recent product of human achievement exponentially changing belief structure and cultural mechanics. Divine "power" is clearly a resource whose effectiveness and limitations are reliant on confidence of the god employing it. Old Gods should feel out of place and weak. New Gods should obey no other context than the one they agree to: Darkseid Is. The Old Gods should be terrified of the modern world, and the New Gods should have no understanding of their relationship to human thought.
    Meh.
    Gaiman's new gods are portrayed as fragile creatures because modern man's faith is fickle.
    - Gerhard Bronner

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Gaiman's new gods are portrayed as fragile creatures because modern man's faith is fickle.
    Eh, I agree with that. I got as far as Minnesota and never picked the book back up. My hopes for the show were dashed by the second episode. Way too adherent to the beats of the source material.

My wishes regarding the Old vs New is that I wish Darkseid and company were treated as a true novelty by ancient divinities, despite the timelessness of their own context. I don't particularly love Kirby's idiosyncracies, but given Darkseid's popularity and Wonder Woman's origins, I wish the push and pull between Old and New was more fraught and dissected.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 11-10-2017 at 07:05 PM.

I know more about Wonder Woman’s Greek gods. How are they connected? I mean sometimes it seems messy. Should they be connected?
    Please sign this so we can at least show DC we want Legend of Wonder Woman part 2.

https://www.change.org/p/comic-fans-...part-2-back-on

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I know more about Wonder Woman’s Greek gods. How are they connected? I mean sometimes it seems messy. Should they be connected?
    What? I don't understand what you're asking.

Ultimate Member

My view on the matter the rankings should be like this:

1. Old Gods (ala Titans and other primordial entities that predate the current gods)
    2. Olympians, Asgardians etc. (current benevolent gods humans have worshiped)
    3. New Gods and Aliens (The race of New Gods, and demi-gods)

And my reasoning is thus:
    -Pretty much where-ever you go in fiction, when you deal with a god of any sort, their power (and often the magnitude of threat they pose) is connected to their age. The older they are, the more powerful they tend to be.
    -Therefore we always ends up with characters like the Titans looking more powerful and dangerous than the younger Olympians.
    -Also there is the matter of how scarce old gods get, not that there were many to begin with, but in most traditions you could barely fill a bus with any single group of gods if you stick with the big-shots. Like traditionally there is only counted 12 major Olympians, with only a few others like the Fates and Hestia existing outside of the power-structure.
    -So with their teeming numbers, I tend to think of the New Gods as more of a race of powerful aliens not unlike the Guardians of Oa than I consider them to be deities. This is find to be a bit more supported by Kirby himself, who's original vision for the New Gods was that they were the race that emerged after the generation of Zeus and Odin had torn itself apart in civil war.
    -However, there are members of each level who are vastly more powerful than their companions where their power sits more in the level above them.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Theo View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I don't expect them to be super above the human intellect, especially in terms of morality, but don't you think each Olympian god should be way more powerful than Wonder Woman, considering Diana is the daughter of Zeus and a immortal-living (age-wise) but mortal Amazon?

I don't mind them being used to help defeat Darkseid's army but I am certainly hoping that the invading Apokalyptian army came in full force, with or without Darkseid, to validate their necessary participation. It would seem rather silly, that an entire Pantheon of Greek Gods (at least 13 of them, not to even mention to the dozens of demi-gods that exist under Greek mythology that will be in the hundreds) is less effective than the Justice League (not to take anything away from the League). However, I can probably accept a story line that since gods exists within the worship of people, the greek gods were able to preserve themselves by having created the amazons while the other gods of myth died out. They were still around but weakened to almost meta human level, I can understand.

What's your take on this?

WW gods should be like GL Oans
    I think your getting the Greek Gods mixed up with The Christian One. The Thing about most of the Ancient gods was that they were very Human. They needed to eat Ambrosia and Nectar to maintain there Immortality and Youth. They could be wounded with mortal weapons. Were they Powerful Sure, They were that which they presided over but they could also be the dude looking for a place to stay hense why hospitality was so important cause you never know.

Spectacular Member

I see the new gods as more like an alien race with great power, wherein the Olympians are more like very like gods that can create stuff and perform various magical feats, unless Darky can do the same thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Theo View Post
    I see the new gods as more like an alien race...
    Welp, they're not.

Except when Jim Bloody Starlin writes them. But then Starlin also thinks the Anti-Life Equation is some dude and that Darkseid represents chaos instead of absolute order.
    - Gerhard Bronner