Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Results 91 to 104 of 104
  1. #91
    World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post

    Brian Michael Bendis's first 133 issue-run on Ultimate Spider-Man is easily the best comic Marvel has had in recent memory.
    I think it is extremely overrated. There have been tons of better comics Marvel has put out in both the 00's and 10's.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spider-Man View Post
    And once again, you're changing the argument. So I'll ask again: which stories from the past decade do you believe are as good as, or better than, the best stories of the 90's?
    Okay, I'll bite:

    Spider-Man: Back in Black
    New Ways to Die
    Unscheduled Stop
    American Son
    ASM 600
    The Gauntlet (Rhino and Lizard parts especially)
    Big Time (first arc)
    No One Dies
    Spider-Island
    Agent Venom first arc (including ASM 654.1)
    Danger Zone
    Scarlet Spider (the whole series)
    Superior Spider-Man first arc
    Avenging Spider-Man/Superior Spider-Man Team Up by Chris Yost
    Worldwide Volume 1
    Spider-Man/Deadpool by Kelly and McGuiness
    Superior Foes of Spider-Man

    And that's just off the top of my head.

  2. #92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bor View Post
    Although to be fair most of those 133 issues are not from the last decade. And none of them are from the 2010s as far as I can recall. If its from the post 90s in general I will take most of early JMS before the vast majority of the 90s.
    If we were talking 2000's, I would absolutely concede the excellence that was the USM comic. In fact, the 2000's had a number of good things worth noting before 2007.

  3. #93

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    I think it is extremely overrated. There have been tons of better comics Marvel has put out in both the 00's and 10's.



    Okay, I'll bite:

    Spider-Man: Back in Black
    New Ways to Die
    Unscheduled Stop
    American Son
    ASM 600
    The Gauntlet (Rhino and Lizard parts especially)
    Big Time (first arc)
    No One Dies
    Spider-Island
    Agent Venom first arc (including ASM 654.1)
    Danger Zone
    Scarlet Spider (the whole series)
    Superior Spider-Man first arc
    Avenging Spider-Man/Superior Spider-Man Team Up by Chris Yost
    Worldwide Volume 1
    Spider-Man/Deadpool by Kelly and McGuiness
    Superior Foes of Spider-Man

    And that's just off the top of my head.
    Some of that stuff (like Back in Black, which was excellent) was prior to the past decade.

    Most of that other stuff is completely forgettable, IMO. And, yes, I have read them all.

  4. #94
    Astonishing Member WebLurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    2,684

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spider-Man View Post
    Miles was created strictly so that there would be a black/hispanic Spider-Man. That is the very definition of pandering.
    As I understand it, the plan to kill off and replace Ultimate Peter Parker with a legacy character was set long before it was decided who that character would be. So, Miles was not created to be a black Spider-Man, he was a replacement Spider-Man who was made a black character during the creation process.

    Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    I think it is extremely overrated. There have been tons of better comics Marvel has put out in both the 00's and 10's.
    I'm sure a case can be made and fair enough if you think it's overrated. Heck, I find Dan Slott to be grossly overrated, at best, but other's find him to be the best of the best. Mileage always varries. Just because I think it's the best Spider-Man run of the century so far with no other viable contenders doesn't mean others agree, nor should they have to.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

  5. #95
    Astonishing Member boots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,720

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    As I understand it, the plan to kill off and replace Ultimate Peter Parker with a legacy character was set long before it was decided who that character would be. So, Miles was not created to be a black Spider-Man, he was a replacement Spider-Man who was made a black character during the creation process.
    this is how messed up the world is rn; the creative process is "suspect"is when it's female or not white. the weird weird logic doesn't hold up.

    the thing is, there is always a certain amount of conscious creation when writing a character who isn't white, because the instinctual bias is to simply make one who is.
    troo fan or death

  6. #96
    Astonishing Member WebLurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    2,684

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    this is how messed up the world is rn; the creative process is "suspect"is when it's female or not white. the weird weird logic doesn't hold up.

    the thing is, there is always a certain amount of conscious creation when writing a character who isn't white, because the instinctual bias is to simply make one who is.
    I don't see why it was a problem that they choose to replace a white character with a non-white one after committing to a legacy character in the first place.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

  7. #97
    Astonishing Member boots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,720

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I don't see why it was a problem that they choose to replace a white character with a non-white one after committing to a legacy character in the first place.
    that's the thing, there is no problem unless we invent one

    ben reilly wasn't pandering. even mayday wasn't pandering. but somehow miles is.
    troo fan or death

  8. #98
    Astonishing Member WebLurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    2,684

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    that's the thing, there is no problem unless we invent one

    ben reilly wasn't pandering. even mayday wasn't pandering. but somehow miles is.
    Re-read your post. Think I misunderstood your point.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

  9. #99
    Astonishing Member boots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,720

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Re-read your post. Think I misunderstood your point.
    happens all the time. i blame the internet, but it's probably poorly constructed sentences on my part. actually nah, i'm sticking blaming internet
    troo fan or death

  10. #100
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Someplace thats not here
    Posts
    1,562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spider-Man View Post
    Miles was created strictly so that there would be a black/hispanic Spider-Man. That is the very definition of pandering.
    Show me where that was proven. Because that is never what creators involved have said. You are confusing your own opinion here with reality. Please join us in the real world.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spider-Man View Post
    My argument was always entire decade vs. entire decade. You can't change the criteria to suit your needs.
    As I already shown with your quote that is completely untrue. That is not what you said or what people responded too. I am not changing anything here I am asking you to stand by what you wrote and is there for everyone to see. But apparently you dont want to do that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spider-Man View Post
    I didn't say they were all equally successful. I said they were all successful. Again, you're creating a straw man to try to make your point. And using an insanely small sample size as an example does not help your argument. I know plenty of younger viewers who think the show was garbage. What did YOU think of the show? Was it as good or popular as the 90's show?.
    Again: Not true. Not all shows were indeed succesful. I am not creating a straw man. You simply do not understand the difference between the real world and your own biased view. I am not just using an insanely small sample size I am going by viewers, toys sales and statements from the creators. And once again I already said I did not like the show but that does not mean I cant see the difference between my taste and then how succesful it was in general. Do you really think a show like this would have gotten this many season/animated movies/ tie ins if it was not liked by many?


    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spider-Man View Post
    It is my opinion that no stories from the past decade will be as popular or memorable as the aforementioned stories from the 90's. Neither of us can yet prove otherwise, but I fully stand behind my opinion.
    As I already said I think the highs of the 90s will likely stand above the highs of the 2010s but I will still maintain plenty of these stories will be remembered and have an affect in years to come.

  11. #101
    World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I'm sure a case can be made and fair enough if you think it's overrated. Heck, I find Dan Slott to be grossly overrated, at best, but other's find him to be the best of the best. Mileage always varries. Just because I think it's the best Spider-Man run of the century so far with no other viable contenders doesn't mean others agree, nor should they have to.
    True.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spider-Man View Post
    Some of that stuff (like Back in Black, which was excellent) was prior to the past decade.

    Most of that other stuff is completely forgettable, IMO. And, yes, I have read them all.
    Back in Black was in 2007, was it not? And now you are changing your criteria again - are you comparing which decade had more GOOD stories or more REMARKABLE/UNFORGETTABLE stories? Because (IMO) Spider-Verse (for example) is a story which fits in the latter category but not the former. Every story named in my list was (IMO) as good if not better than the peaks of the '90s.

  12. #102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bor View Post
    As I already said I think the highs of the 90s will likely stand above the highs of the 2010s but I will still maintain plenty of these stories will be remembered and have an affect in years to come.
    Finally, that’s all I wanted to hear.

    I still disagree about the second part, but time will tell.

    Moving on now.
    Last edited by Scarlet Spider-Man; 11-22-2017 at 09:04 PM.

  13. #103

    Default

    Double post.
    Last edited by Scarlet Spider-Man; 11-22-2017 at 08:54 PM.

  14. #104
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Someplace thats not here
    Posts
    1,562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spider-Man View Post
    Finally, thatís all I wanted to hear.

    I still disagree about the second part, but time will tell.

    Moving on now.
    I said that a long time ago. If you had bothered actually reading what I wrote you would have seen that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •