Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Default Does the World need the Fantastic Four ? If so, then why and not because history

If it wasn't for its history within the Marvel Universe and the way they helped paved the way for current MCU and its popular characters, then what's the purpose for the Fantastic Four Outside the science exploration and all that ?

I mean does the world need the FF in the Marvel Universe of X-men, Avengers, Spider-man and Street level heroes ?

They aren't heroes, that I been hearing so much and sort of understand, then if they aren't heroes, then explain the Skrulls, Kree or Inhumans ?

How about their fights with the Mole Man and/or Dr. Doom and his ego ?

How about Galactus and his purpose in the Universe ?

If they aren't heroes, then what are they ?

They're more a dysfunctional family than heroes that often get into more trouble thanks to their fame and powers.

As fans of the franchise: What do you think of this ?

They're Marvel's First family.

That's enough for me.
    Enjoying the camraderie of friends and family is all that matters in the world.

Mr MajestiK took a short hiatus and the Chaos Bringer was reborn.

............why would anyone want to take history out of the fantastic four......................
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

Are you talking about the real world or the MU?
    Check out : The Invisible Woman Appreciation thread!

I NEED an Invisible Woman solo! It's got to happen sometime right?......right?

If you are talking about the MU then yes the FF are needed. Outside of their history (which is very important) they are scientific explorers which is a pretty niche role in the MU that not many occupy. I don't why you want to exclude that too, that would be like excluding the X-Men's prejudice allegory. It's a role that's meant expand the MU and be one of the most creative books in both art and concepts. Unfortunately, Marvel is too beholden to the Lee/Kirby run that they will not take the risks necessary for the FF as the book is meant to grow and change constantly. I think that is part of the reason of the teams decline over the years, they are meant to be team that has these crazy adventures as well as continuously change and grow but they haven't. Too many runs have them face the same villains, "explore" the same places, and any growth is reverted by the next run.

They may fight villains, but that is usually a byproduct of their adventures as they usually don't go out patrolling like a police force or the Avengers. In the early days when facing villains they often didn't even do the usual superhero beatdown to deal with their enemies, they found others ways. Which I wish they did more now as it showed that violence (while cool to read) isn't always the answer. They are definitely heroes.

Their exploring is meant to be for the betterment of mankind by expanding what people on Earth know about the universe as well as discovering places, species, and things that could improve life on Earth. I believe this is just as important as what the other teams do, it's just another facet of making the world a better place. They are 100% needed in the world.

They are just as needed in the real world as the other teams too. They bring something different than the other teams, with the exploration/adventure and family aspect. There are countless superhero teams that do the usual vigilante justice thing, the FF bring something different to the table which is always valuable.

The FF are scientific explorers, heroes, and a family. They are just as needed and important as the Avengers and X-Men with or without the history aspect.
    Last edited by Crimz; 11-12-2017 at 08:27 PM.
    Check out : The Invisible Woman Appreciation thread!

I NEED an Invisible Woman solo! It's got to happen sometime right?......right?

The Fantastic Four are heroes that could be you. Obviously, none of us and the overwhelmingly vast majority of the MU have taken a space flight and been hit by cosmic rays, but we've all had the family experiences. The FF's lives are on public display unlike most of the other Marvel heroes. The MU needs them as it humanizes the heroes there and makes them easier to deal with.

Spectacular Member parker stark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    They're Marvel's First family.

That's enough for me.
    Well said!!
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible Adult

Not really I like Sue and Ben a lot but they have been made redundant long ago. The future foundation is more appealing than just the FF.

The FF are the Star Trek of Marvel.

I'd argue that the MCU could be proof that the Marvel Universe doesn't "need" the F4.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I'd argue that the MCU could be proof that the Marvel Universe doesn't "need" the F4.
    I think the MCU would be even better with the Fantastic Four. You can't have Doom without them, or Galactus and the Surfer. Plus they would bring an original wrinkle to the MCU. We got a taste of it when Hawkeye of all people was shown to have a wife and kids. I think they could be a team that has a natural synergy to them that the Avengers would find hard to top. And Reed is smarter than Tony or Banner Have them come back from their discovery of the Negative Zone or something like that.
    Doctor Doom Appreciation Thread at CBR Forums
    My old SuperHero Squad name: Steel Divine Duke

No need to over-analyse it. It’s just a set-up that “works”. That is..in hands of right writer they can be used to produce wonderful stories.

Apart from the Lee/ Kirby original run, the Byrne and Hickman runs were wondrous. Other runs that were at least very good include Millar’s, Waid’s, and Simonson’s.

That’s way above most characters.

And...pragmatically..they do have a fairly substantial set of loyal fans.

All-New Member

You don't need *anyone* but Galactus.

I think the Future Foundation alone is a goldmine of potential stories.

From the lighthearted (will there there be annual soccer matches between them and the X-men academy?) to as “serious” as it gets in mainstream superhero comics.

The way the X-men books have gone they intrinsically almost portray conflict between mutants and non-mutants as inevitable..the Future Foundation is a challenge to that fundamental pessimism.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I think the MCU would be even better with the Fantastic Four. You can't have Doom without them, or Galactus and the Surfer. Plus they would bring an original wrinkle to the MCU. We got a taste of it when Hawkeye of all people was shown to have a wife and kids. I think they could be a team that has a natural synergy to them that the Avengers would find hard to top. And Reed is smarter than Tony or Banner Have them come back from their discovery of the Negative Zone or something like that.
    A well-made MCU movie with the F4 wouldn't be a bad thing and if it ever happens, I hope it does well. I guess that, IMHO, the MCU doesn't feel like it's missing something without the F4, unlike how it did seem incomplete without Spider-Man.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)