Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    wasn't set on fire in a trash can, was she?
    That was Druid, who certainly deserves to be mentioned on the conversation.

Ellis does not kid around with this sort if stuff.

When Hawkeye dies during dissembled

When Vison got torn apart at the same time more for She Hulk reaction.

Banner recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Did Pym work on Clor? I thought it was a Reed/Tony project because Reed looks up to Tony so much Didn't he provide the strand of hair from Thor?
    Skym did while Hank was on the Skull ship.

Oh when The Whizzer died.

Guess Skurge technically wasn't a complete superhero or villain, but his (first and iconic) death and last stand is one of the most poignant to me. More triumphant than depressing, but it's kinda tragic considering his character and what led up to that moment.

Oh, the death of Bill/William Cobb III as well

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    Banner recently.
    Banner's death was pretty darn depressing.

He's cured of being The Hulk and then he gets an unceremonious arrow through the head.

Mighty Member

Magik.

She's kidnapped as a small child, tortured, has her soul ripped out and toyed with, made into a living weapon. She comes back a broken human being, knowing that she's mostly evil because of what someone else did to her and that she has to maintain 100% control at all times or else she'll cause the destruction of the world and the deaths of everyone she loves. Her parents reject her and all the X-Men and New Mutants are terrified of her. She finds a way to erase her own existence to save her younger self from having been kidnapped in the first place, and it looks like she'll get a happy ending after all, with her being taken back to her parents.

Then her parents are killed and as soon as she is brought back to live with the X-Men she contracts the Legacy virus and dies horribly at the age of 6-7. No happy endings allowed in comics.

Astonishing Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Illyana's death may be the saddest X-Men death I read. Doug is up there as well. Piotr and Illyana's parents getting killed just pissed me off due to the pointlessness of it all.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Freedom Ring. Tone deaf and mean-spirited, both in-story and on the part of Quesada and Kirkman

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    Being a teenage super hero who is not part of the Legacy Diversity Darlings means your life is worth nothing, in the Marvel Universe.

Mettle.
    He got a perfect happy end in Avengers Academy.
    Then Arcade kidnapped him and his girlfriend Hazmat, at christmas eve, and killed him in the first issue of Avengers Arena.
    By "killed him", I mean he made him explode, Dr Manhattan way.
    And later he used his skin to create a Mettle LMD in order to fool Pym and Tigra, making them believe that their proteges were safe.
    And after having slaughtered many teen super heroes, Arcade is back to being a joke villain, like nothing happened. The super heroes are not even hunting him to make him pay.

Juston Seyfert
    He spent years in limbo after Christos Gage, who was a fan of the Sentinel series, brought him back in Avengers Academy.
    As soon as Avengers Academy was cancelled, Dennis Hopeless decided to "use" him in Avengers Arena.
    His Sentinel pal got hacked, then destroyed. Juston got paralysed.
    And then one of the "players" broke his neck. He died afraid, crying, and probably shitting his pants.
    Moral of the story: Marvel writers, be careful when you bring back one of your faves from limbo. You are exposing them to this kind of sadistic shit.
    Avengers Arena was shock-value garbage. The way Avengers Undercover tanked was a pretty good case that folks weren't showing up for Hopeless' ability to craft a story. I still think Kyle and Yost killing off half the Xavier's student body was in very poor taste, but at least they managed to get some good character work out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    I really liked mettle

Much undervalued and dismissed imo by the publisher

thought he had a lot of potential like a lot of those characters from academy

where are they now?
    I don't think they've been seen since the Inhumanity tie-ins.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    How about when Bendis slaughtered the Alpha Flight team just to prop up his "new big villain". A team with decades of history just slaughtered in the span of a few pages for absolutlly no good reason. The worst part is his "next big bad villain" is now just pretty much forgotten because he was a garbage character to begin with. This is where my hatred of Bendis really took form.

Ugh. I hate this instance specifically and the trend in general of killing off established heroes to prop up a writer's new character/villain/romance. Nine times out of ten, the new character vanishes along with the writer, and we've lost an established piece of the narrative for no good reason. See also: Diamond Lil - killed off so that her husband, Madison Jeffries, could fuck a toaster. This new and thrilling development was turfed off-screen as soon as the next writer made Danger part of a team, and Lil was still dead.

This Week's Comics: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #76, Fence #1, Wicked + Divine #33, Kill the Minotaur #6, Gundam Wing: The Glory of Losers v. 3

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    I just started rereading Brubaker's Cap run and finished "The Lonesome Death of Jack Monroe". I'd forgotten how this story was a portrait of a man spinning out of control at the end of his life and then being put down with no real understanding of why it was happening. Really dark, depressing stuff. This also made me think of White Tiger meeting his end around the same time also under less than heroic circumstance. What are some other examples of heroes dying tragically in fairly mundane ways (by comic standards).
    The Death of Captain Marvel. Dying of cancer; one of the best books ever done by Marvel.

Sandy Hausler