Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Punisher 2017

Default Punisher 2017

So the reviews are starting to come out. Its weird the RT score is middle of the road but when you read the reviews its interesting. A few people just flat out think its garbage but alot of the reviews of ppl who did like it think its the best marvel netflix show so far. Actually makes sense the Punisher is such a polarizing charatcer im guessing most ppl with either love it or hate it

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I've read some reviews and definitely the positive ones seemed more persuasive (at least as far as you could tell not having watched an episode).

Some negative reviews think the show was too thoughtful or too trying to avoid a exploitative old school or Ennis take on Punisher. Some say "too talky"...I like talky when done well. At least two negative reviews said or suggested part of it was the gun violence political issue.

One negative review (at least) missed (understandably so perhaps if you're not a big Punisher reader) that the show perhaps deliberately adopts some storytelling tactics that Ennis employed:
    ...there are times when The Punisher seems much more interested in Micro than it does Frank, almost as if the showrunners could sense that The Punisher isn’t a strong enough character to carry the show on his own.
    Ennis kept Frank pretty laconic and killing machine-esque and thus in many or most stories developed the rest of the characters a lot in arcs and not Frank. In a way, Ennis was kinda saying Frank couldn't carrry Punisher comics (and shouldn't!)
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 11-16-2017 at 12:51 PM.
    Thank you America for voting for change.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I've read some reviews and definitely the positive ones seemed more persuasive (at least as far as you could tell not having watched an episode).

Some negative reviews think the show was too thoughtful or too trying to avoid a exploitative old school or Ennis take on Punisher. Some say "too talky"...I like talky when done well. At least two negative reviews said or suggested part of it was the gun violence political issue.

One negative review (at least) missed (understandably so if you're not a big Punisher reader) that the show perhaps deliberately adopts some storytelling tactics that Ennis employed:

Ennis kept Frank pretty laconic and killing machine-esque and thus in many or most stories developed the rest of the characters a lot in arcs and not Frank. In a way, Ennis was kinda saying Frank couldn't carrry Punisher comics (and shouldn't!)
    Yea i saw a couple that were trashing the show for its timing because all the mass shootings. Thats a dumb reason to not like the show.

Im excited to see this friday

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post

One negative review (at least) missed (understandably so if you're not a big Punisher reader) that the show perhaps deliberately adopts some storytelling tactics that Ennis employed:

Literally every negative review that I've read has made it a priority to harp on the excessive gun violence.

To which I ask, did you guys not have the slightest damn clue as to who Frank Castle is? Never mind reading the comics or watching Daredevil S2...you couldn't even do a quick 30 second google search and learn the basic background of the character before jumping into a 13 hour series? The guy isn't a superhero doing superheroic things. He's a murderous vigilante who ruthlessly slaughters criminals. Anyone with a functional brain should've expected this to be by far the most brutal, violent Marvel Netflix series. As it should be. Who the hell wants to watch some watered down, PG-13 version of Frank Castle?

Another knock I've read in some reviews is that it's essentially a standalone series with no ties to any of the other Netflix/Marvel shows other than a few Karen Page appearances....this is a GREAT thing from my perspective. I don't want to see Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, the Hand or even Daredevil in my Punisher series. The best Punisher stories have always been the ones that are completely separated from the main Marvel universe. When I'm watching Frank brutally stomp the hell out of some murderer or child rapist, the last thing I want to see is some costumed, superpowered hero come swinging in to deliver some morality speech and totally break the immersion.
    Last edited by Cimmerian; 11-16-2017 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Thats a dumb reason to not like the show.
    That's a perfectly valid reason to not like the show, actually.

Invincible Member TheInvisibleMan's Avatar

im looking forward to it because I know exactly what Im getting
    “If you listen to the fans, you’ll find yourself sitting with them”

- Joe Kuharich

"As usual, the production is immaculate, and Bernthal -- who never disappoints -- is his usual self. You may, however, wish (I did) that his Punisher wasn't such a humorless, unmitigated jerk." - Verne Gay, Newsday

Holy hell

So they wanted to see Frank Castle cranking out one liners and patting people on the back evidently...

www.taurianfilms.com

this i cannot wait for. Imma get at least two episodes in before I go to bed after I get home from Justice League.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar
    In the Tardis reading The Expanse book series

Quote Originally Posted by Cimmerian View Post
    "As usual, the production is immaculate, and Bernthal -- who never disappoints -- is his usual self. You may, however, wish (I did) that his Punisher wasn't such a humorless, unmitigated jerk." - Verne Gay, Newsday

Holy hell

So they wanted to see Frank Castle cranking out one liners and patting people on the back evidently...
    Right? This is the Punisher, not Spider-Man. I, for one, am stoked for this! One more day!
    “I will fight. Forever. For everyone, whether they know it or not. Whether they are watching or not. I will always fight.”---Daredevil

"There is a difference between you and me. We both looked into the abyss, but when it looked back at us... you blinked."---Batman

"I am a mad man with a box!"---The Doctor

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.---John 3:16

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post
    this i cannot wait for. Imma get at least two episodes in before I go to bed after I get home from Justice League.
    No rest for the wicked

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    That's a perfectly valid reason to not like the show, actually.
    Ok let me rephrase its a dumb reason to criticize a show about the Punisher. A valid reason to not like it sure. Gin violence is a fact of life in America unfortunately. But when you turn into a punisher show after 3 movies and DD S2 you know what your gonna get. So if yout sensative to that atm maybe this show wasnt for you but dont bash the movies for doing soemthing a Frank Castle lead movie has to do. Which is show alot of gun violence.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 11-16-2017 at 03:10 PM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I'm excited for this. I'm ready to see Frank drop bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Ok let me rephrase its a dumb reason to criticize a show about the Punisher. A valid reason to not like it sure. Gin violence is a fact of life in America unfortunately. But when you turn into a punisher show after 3 movies and DD S2 you know what your gonna get. So if yout sensative to that atm maybe this show wasnt for you but dont bash the movies for doing soemthing a Frank Castle lead movie has to do. Which is show alot of gun violence.
    You're talking about early reviews from people paid to watch it for review purposes, though.

Fantastic Member

I'm excited! Show drops at 2 AM for me, probably watch 1 maybe 2, see JL in XD 3D at 11 am then more punisher sprinkled through the weekend.