Page 30 of 89 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080 ... LastLast
    BANNED

McCoy gets a harsher rap than he deserves IMO, but some of the heat is not unwarranted

I remember a kids' show, here in Canada, that had a guy talking to a robot. And when I was a kid, i was really amazed by that even though it was one set with cheap production. So I can see why little kids took the raw material of DOCTOR WHO and made it into something more with their imaginations.

But not having come into DW as a little kid, it's a bit harder for me to see what is so wonderful. On the other hand, not having been a fan from birth, I don't look at everything with such scrutiny and hold it up to some impossible standard that I've arbitrarily set.

Yet when I see a show like "The Two Doctors," "Battlefield," "School Reunion," or even "Day of the Doctor"--I appreciate that there are rewards for the the long suffering viewer who has invested so much time in the series.

Out of interest, what episode are you people mostly looking forward to when season 8 starts? Of course we we're all very excited for Deep Breath, but as of right now am very curious when it comes to Into the Dalek. Yes, the Dales are back...again ( after too many appearances ) but this episode holds a lot of promise. It's got a good, interesting and different premise then all the other Dalek stories we've had in a long time.

Just please make the Daleks scary again. We haven't even seen them exterminate anyone in a long time now. I mean, come on.
    I look around at us and you know what I see? Losers... I mean like, folks who have lost stuff. And we have, man, we have, all of us. Homes, and our families, normal lives. And you think life takes more than it gives, but not today. Today it's giving us something. It is giving us a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by THE DANGER965 View Post
    Out of interest, what episode are you people mostly looking forward to when season 8 starts? Of course we we're all very excited for Deep Breath, but as of right now am very curious when it comes to Into the Dalek. Yes, the Dales are back...again ( after too many appearances ) but this episode holds a lot of promise. It's got a good, interesting and different premise then all the other Dalek stories we've had in a long time.

Just please make the Daleks scary again. We haven't even seen them exterminate anyone in a long time now. I mean, come on.
    I'm actually quite alright with a lack of murder, but it is Doctor Who. Asking for a lack of murder there is like asking for a lack of it in Sherlock.

Watching the specials where they talk about how Capaldi's Doctor is going to be darker and more 'alien', I now wonder if the canonical explanation for it will come in later that his regeneration and for that matter his whole series of new regenerations....were generated by the Time War Gallifreyan Time Lords. Like maybe they kind of....added some input into them?

A creepy thought that.
    OPINION: Noun: O-pi-nion
    The belief in the ratio of the circumference of an aromatic bulb the essence of which can make people cry tears of sadness or outrage. Most commonly found in boiling substances when not hidden underground.

I think the Doctor was the darkest at the very beginning in "An Unearthly Child." If we forget all that we know and watch that first serial as something completely new, then we have no idea what the Doctor will do--is he moral, immoral, amoral? He's a dubious figure and seems to have dark intentions. The Doctor can never be that dark again, because we know he's going to be a hero in the end.

My complaint against DOCTOR WHO throughout its history is that they murder characters (almost always expendable characters) just to make the show look serious. They're trying to get some cred for being bad ass, so look what horrible stuff they can do to random characters. But I think that damages the Doctor's credentials as a hero. If everyone dies except the companion of the month, how is the Doctor heroic?

I think a death here and there is a good way to remind us that the menaces they're fighting against do indeed mean business.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    I think a death here and there is a good way to remind us that the menaces they're fighting against do indeed mean business.
    Here and there, yeah. But when I was watching the classic series, I started to notice how often massive death happens with the '70s and '80s stories--and there are times when I found it excessive. Seems to depend on who was the writer at the time.

But I've also noticed it with some modern stories, where the Doctor will make a resolution to save everybody and next thing you know everybody dies except him and the companion.

I feel that if I'm really invested in the outcome of the story, then I need to see that something good can happen--otherwise it's just nihilism.

Oh, sometimes the bad guys do win ... and it's important that every now and then that they do. The Doctor does, sometimes, lose and I would argue that is also very necessary - otherwise you head straight into DoctorJesus and other such silliness.
    And sometimes he has complete victories, where everyone lives. And sometimes (such as Adric, yay!) companions do kick the proverbial bucket.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"

So...question. Exactly how many versions of the Doctor Who theme have their been? Thinking of making a compilation of them. To my knowledge, there's:

1. Original Derbyshire version played from "An Unearthly Child" until "The Macra Terror"
    2. Modified Derbyshire version played during Troughton's, Pertwee's and part of Tom Baker's runs
    3. Delaware version played during Australian Broadcast of "Carnival of Monsters"
    4. Howell version played from "The Leisure Hive" until the end of Colin Baker's first season
    5. Glynn version played during the entirety of "The Trial of a Timelord"
    6. Mculloch version played during McCoy's run
    7. Version played for Doctor Who: The Movie
    8. 1st Gold version played during Eccleston's and part of Tennant's runs
    9. 2nd Gold version played from "Voyage of the Damned" until "Partners in Crime"
    10. 3rd Gold version played from "Partners in Crime" until "The End of Time"
    11. 4th Gold version played from "The Eleventh Hour" until the 1st half of Series 7.
    12. 5th Gold version played from "The Snowmen" until "The Time of the Doctor"
    13. 6th Gold version played for "The Day of the Doctor"
    14. 7th Gold version played starting from "Deep Breath"
    15. Arnold version played for 8th Doctor BFA's.

Am I missing others?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    I'm actually quite alright with a lack of murder, but it is Doctor Who. Asking for a lack of murder there is like asking for a lack of it in Sherlock.

Watching the specials where they talk about how Capaldi's Doctor is going to be darker and more 'alien', I now wonder if the canonical explanation for it will come in later that his regeneration and for that matter his whole series of new regenerations....were generated by the Time War Gallifreyan Time Lords. Like maybe they kind of....added some input into them?

A creepy thought that.
    I feel that a lack of murder is fine when it comes to Doctor who, but when it comes to the Daleks it just ain't right. Am not sure if am right here, but from the last 2 appearances that we've had from the Daleks we haven't even seem them exterminate anyone. I mean, we're talking about the Daleks here ; the Doctor's most fearsome and evil foe. They certainly haven't been living up to their reputation for a long time now. I hope that Phil Ford can make them scary again( I have a lot of hopes too, as the waters of mars is one of my all time favourite Doctor who episodes ).

And We now have less then 5 hours til Deep Breath comes along now ( well, in the UK anywho ), !
    I look around at us and you know what I see? Losers... I mean like, folks who have lost stuff. And we have, man, we have, all of us. Homes, and our families, normal lives. And you think life takes more than it gives, but not today. Today it's giving us something. It is giving us a chance.

Regarding the violence/death thing, Doctor Who did get a bit of controversy at times for it's violence. The early Tom Bakers, Colin Baker's first etc. had their share of violence and even a bit of gore here and there. This usually ended up with the show getting toned down somewhat-Tom's later stuff for example -produced by Graham Williams and often written and edited by Douglas Adams-focused more on his comedic talents than the more serious approach of his work with Phillip Hinchcliffe (producer) and Robert Holmes(Script editor).

Even some of Davison's final stuff is a bit OTT in violence such as Warriors of the Deep and Ressurection of the Daleks. In fact in the second Davison's longest-running companion Tegan leaves because she's disgusted by all the death.

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    So...question. Exactly how many versions of the Doctor Who theme have their been? Thinking of making a compilation of them. To my knowledge, there's:

1. Original Derbyshire version played from "An Unearthly Child" until "The Macra Terror"
    2. Modified Derbyshire version played during Troughton's, Pertwee's and part of Tom Baker's runs
    3. Delaware version played during Australian Broadcast of "Carnival of Monsters"
    4. Howell version played from "The Leisure Hive" until the end of Colin Baker's first season
    5. Glynn version played during the entirety of "The Trial of a Timelord"
    6. Mculloch version played during McCoy's run
    7. Version played for Doctor Who: The Movie
    8. 1st Gold version played during Eccleston's and part of Tennant's runs
    9. 2nd Gold version played from "Voyage of the Damned" until "Partners in Crime"
    10. 3rd Gold version played from "Partners in Crime" until "The End of Time"
    11. 4th Gold version played from "The Eleventh Hour" until the 1st half of Series 7.
    12. 5th Gold version played from "The Snowmen" until "The Time of the Doctor"
    13. 6th Gold version played for "The Day of the Doctor"
    14. 7th Gold version played starting from "Deep Breath"
    15. Arnold version played for 8th Doctor BFA's.

Am I missing others?
    Big Finish has done quite a few new versions of the theme. Thers an alternate version at the beginning of part 3 of The One Doctor, David Warner's Unbound Doctor has his own theme, there's the Bowie-esque version from Horror of Glam Rock, a big epic version for their 50th anniversary story The Light at the End...

Also, does Night of the Doctor have its own theme? I can't remember.

Thanks for those. I'll look into them.

Night of the Doctor doesn't have its own theme, but that hasn't stopped people from giving it one from the BFA's:

BANNED

as for themes, the one they used when Smith first came on is my favorite to date

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    as for themes, the one they used when Smith first came on is my favorite to date
    Any particular reason? Also, would you be able to post it for clarification?

Am both looking forward to and anxiously anticipating the new episode, new Season, new Doctor tonight. Not a fan of 1/3 of Paternoster, ambivelant about another 1/3, could take or leave other 1/3, though still amusing.

Also, not sure how exciting as a plot, or episode it is, with threat, monster, etc, mainly judging by trailer for Deep Breath. Just not sure what to expect from Capaldis' Doctor either.

BUT. Though I wasn't sure going into Season 5, Smiths' 11 quickly became my favourite Doctor, really, out of Nine and Ten, at least, at that point. So, wouldn't necessarily do so here, be it Clara, or Danny, or Moffat, or anything else. I just hope he isn't too similar to Ten, though Eleven was, for me, and not as angry, hateful as Nine.

Cold, like One, might be good, Secretive, like Seven, perhaps. His own kind of manic, like a different Ten, but definitely not the overly excitable Eleven.

I hope I like it, Daleks, Cybermen, Mummies, mystery and all.