Page 235 of 274 FirstFirst ... 135185225231232233234235236237238239245 ... LastLast
Results 3,511 to 3,525 of 4103
    www.taurianfilms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Dr. Who fans have a pattern that repeats itself whenever a new actor/actress is cast.

"Oh no, they're horrible. Totally wrong for the role, the show is RUINED!!"

(Watches show for awhile):

"OMG, BEST DOCTOR EVER!!!!!!!"

It happens over and over and over and over and over again.
    True.

My list runs...

Tennant
    Smith
    Tom Baker
    Paul McGann (his work on the Big Finish audio dramas is amazing)
    Capaldi
    Pertwee
    Davison
    Eccelston
    Troughton
    McCoy
    Colin Baker
    Hartnell

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar
    In the Tardis reading The Expanse book series

Quote Originally Posted by Seth_Brower View Post
    So, just wanted to throw out to those who were curious some other things to check out to see Jodie's acting, other than the more known Broadchurch and Attack the Block that are constantly brought up.

Adult Life Skills (movie)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4211044/combined
    A movie that shows off a pretty good range of emotions & whimsy.

The Assets (TV Series)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3074646/combined
    Didn't quite last on the air, but available on Netflix now I believe, but a "based on real events" tale of mole hunting in the CIA. I'm only 2 episodes in and it's decent overall, and she is quite good in it so far.
    That looks funny. I'm going to have to check it out.
    “I will fight. Forever. For everyone, whether they know it or not. Whether they are watching or not. I will always fight.”---Daredevil

"There is a difference between you and me. We both looked into the abyss, but when it looked back at us... you blinked."---Batman

"I am a mad man with a box!"---The Doctor

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.---John 3:16

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar
    In the Tardis reading The Expanse book series

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I seem to recall Pertwee and Baker The First having massive body counts in their stories.
    And Pertwee in particular having a lot more violence, what with him being the action hero Doctor who was stuck surrounded by UNIT soldiers who always died in droves.
    Yep. Same with Tom Baker
    “I will fight. Forever. For everyone, whether they know it or not. Whether they are watching or not. I will always fight.”---Daredevil

"There is a difference between you and me. We both looked into the abyss, but when it looked back at us... you blinked."---Batman

"I am a mad man with a box!"---The Doctor

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.---John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Yep. Same with Tom Baker
    Some of the Peter Davidson stories had Massive Body Counts as well. I recall a story saying how some Dr.WHO stories had bigger death counts then major action movies at the times. But then back then in Dr.WHO characters actually DIED and it meant something. There was no Magical Fantasy Want Waving to "And EVERYBODY LIVED" nonsense back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyattractor View Post
    Some of the Peter Davidson stories had Massive Body Counts as well. I recall a story saying how some Dr.WHO stories had bigger death counts then major action movies at the times. But then back then in Dr.WHO characters actually DIED and it meant something. There was no Magical Fantasy Want Waving to "And EVERYBODY LIVED" nonsense back then.
    Just because you mention magic JNT got rid of the Sonic Screwdriver because he felt it limited the scripts with it ability to get the Doctor out of situations. I'd love to had been able to see his response to the magic wand it basically is in New Who.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flyattractor View Post
    Some of the Peter Davidson stories had Massive Body Counts as well. I recall a story saying how some Dr.WHO stories had bigger death counts then major action movies at the times..
    Yeah, ''Ressurection of the Daleks'' has a higher death toll than Terminator

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    I think I'd argue that Colin Baker and Peter Capaldi were probably the greatest actors to take on the role. It's unfortunate that their material wasn't all that great.
    Colin had a great first series, Capaldi had series nine, which is a favorite of mine.

I personally found Colin far too bombastic and hammy, and my favourite story from his era, "Revelation of the Daleks", perhaps tellingly has his presence minimised. Just not my kind of thing.

www.taurianfilms.com

Didn't care much for him on screen, but I do fancy his Big Finish work.

Yeah, Peter Davison's final season-and Colin's first-had particuarly high body counts of both good and bad supporting characters, with the Doctor and his companions being the only ones left, more or less-although this certainly applied to some earlier stories as well(Pyramid of Mars, Horror of Fang Rock). It notably happened in Warriors of the Deep, which ended with the Doctor saying "There should have been another way!" and of course "Resssurection of the Daleks" is the one compared to the terminator (The duplicates for instance kill a sympathetic nurse character, as well as just a guy doing some metal detecting) Androzani did this too, although those characters were pretty much all bad guys to some extent or another. "Attack of the Cybermen" "Two Doctors" and "Revelation of the Daleks" had a lot of high body counts.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Nevermind, misread something/
    "One may be intelligent, and a Nazi. Then one is not decent. One may be decent and a Nazi. Then one is not intelligent. And one may be intelligent and decent. Then one is not a Nazi"
    - Gerhard Bronner

Love the casting. Chibnell still worries me but way more excited for series 11 now than before.

Fantastic Member

I'm hesitantly torn on this. I really am. It was inevitable that we would get an actress in the part. Same as it is inevitable that we will get a person of colour or ethnicity in the part. Jodie is a great actress in her own right. Chibnall is a capable writer. There is no denying either of their talents. Thats not really the issue that i have with the news. I will give it a chance and i will check out the first few episodes (will buy the DVD set once it hits the shelves because I'm a completist Dr Who fan and have been a fan for 30 odd years.)

I'll be honest, i welcome the change. I just wish it had been done under different circumstances. I really hope I'm wrong, but this doesn't feel like an organic change (which is what i prefer.) To me, it seems an attempt to be progressive for progressive sake. It also feels like an attempt to appease a very vocal contingent on the Internet.

This is a very big gamble. One that could pay off in dividends. However, what if it doesn't? People are shrugging their shoulders and say, "If it doesn’t work they can always have The Doctor regenerate again." Yes, they can. Of course they can. But lets just say enough people turn off in droves, it is highly unlikely they will return even if they did course correct.

Another downside is, if this doesn't work, it could potentially close the door on any actresses playing the part in the future. Which would be unfair. What happens to Jodie if it fails? She would have a blemish against her that would in no way be her fault. Same as Colin back in the 80s. Big Finish has proven he was an excellent choice to play the part. He was let down by a tired production team.

Also, what happens if they want to change back to a male actor in the future? Will the internet be up in arms about that? Because the same vocal minority online will no doubt be twice as loud once that happens. I'm all for equity. I champion it. However society seems hell bent on this so called "Political Correctness Crusade." Most of it is founded and understandable. Some of it isn't. Heck, here in Australia you can't sing Humpty Dumpty in primary school/kindergarten without changing the song. Because the original is deemed to traumatic for kids. Likewise you can't sing Baa Baa Black Sheep because its deemed to be racist. They changed it to little sheep, but had to ditch that cause it was highlighting the sheeps stature. Its insane.

I don’t want to see this go down the path of The Ghostbusters reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    Admit I kind of saw this coming when that Gallifreyan general changed to (back?) to a female and then the whole Missy thing. It's like they were testing the waters then. Was so hoping I was wrong though.
    I knew about Missy but I didn't know about the general until a couple of days ago, I stopped watching just before the sonic sunglasses came and then I just watched the Christmas special and wasn't disappointed nor was I drawn back. But my last sentence will be the test I think because I hope I'm wrong but now they have had one they will want more just you wait I predict a riot

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    I'm hesitantly torn on this. I really am. It was inevitable that we would get an actress in the part. Same as it is inevitable that we will get a person of colour or ethnicity in the part. Jodie is a great actress in her own right. Chibnall is a capable writer. There is no denying either of their talents. Thats not really the issue that i have with the news. I will give it a chance and i will check out the first few episodes (will buy the DVD set once it hits the shelves because I'm a completist Dr Who fan and have been a fan for 30 odd years.)

I'll be honest, i welcome the change. I just wish it had been done under different circumstances. I really hope I'm wrong, but this doesn't feel like an organic change (which is what i prefer.) To me, it seems an attempt to be progressive for progressive sake. It also feels like an attempt to appease a very vocal contingent on the Internet.

This is a very big gamble. One that could pay off in dividends. However, what if it doesn't? People are shrugging their shoulders and say, "If it doesn’t work they can always have The Doctor regenerate again." Yes, they can. Of course they can. But lets just say enough people turn off in droves, it is highly unlikely they will return even if they did course correct.

Another downside is, if this doesn't work, it could potentially close the door on any actresses playing the part in the future. Which would be unfair. What happens to Jodie if it fails? She would have a blemish against her that would in no way be her fault. Same as Colin back in the 80s. Big Finish has proven he was an excellent choice to play the part. He was let down by a tired production team.

Also, what happens if they want to change back to a male actor in the future? Will the internet be up in arms about that? Because the same vocal minority online will no doubt be twice as loud once that happens. I'm all for equity. I champion it. However society seems hell bent on this so called "Political Correctness Crusade." Most of it is founded and understandable. Some of it isn't. Heck, here in Australia you can't sing Humpty Dumpty in primary school/kindergarten without changing the song. Because the original is deemed to traumatic for kids. Likewise you can't sing Baa Baa Black Sheep because its deemed to be racist. They changed it to little sheep, but had to ditch that cause it was highlighting the sheeps stature. Its insane.

I don’t want to see this go down the path of The Ghostbusters reboot.
    Thank you just what I was thinking you said it better than I did but I hope we are both wrong.
    Last edited by VolcanikTiger86; 07-18-2017 at 01:51 AM.
    Truth is the best policy

Astonishing Member

It took them nine years, but finally we'll have new adventures with Jenny, The Doctor's daughter, courtesy of Big Finish

http://www.cultbox.co.uk/news/headli...ctors-daughter