Page 189 of 245 FirstFirst ... 89139179185186187188189190191192193199239 ... LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,835 of 3667
    Standing Member

Not really spoilers, I don't thnk, but fair warning --

Nardole doesn't seem much like the old Nardole in this series. For one thing, he's not very funny.

A fan theory about the First Doctor is that, in the stories leading up to his final story, he went through experiences that wore him out until finally he had to regenerate. In reality, William Hartnell had arteriosclerosis and wasn't always well. But one can say that the Doctor's lack of energy and lapses in memory are due to his body giving up the ghost.
    If you would be beloved and die regretted
    Profit by the example of
    DASH

Duly appointed enforcer of the Admin Accord Matt's Avatar

Capaldi's run has, unfortunately, been tarnished by some truly terrible stories such as Kill the Moon and whatever the hell that forest thing was. This season, however, has been great episode after great episode. Oxygen is no exception.

This one really harkens back to the days of the early 4th Doctor wherein they go to a space station and try to fix and/or survive a terrible situation. Oxygen has a real Ark in Space vibe to it, even down to the space station aesthetics (which some time is actually spent focusing on).
    The opening scene is great hide-behind-the-sofa stuff that Who has done really well in the past and I'm pleased to see it done so well here.

The one thing I'm unsure of is the depiction of vacuum on a Time Lord. Back in Four to Doomsday (5th Doctor), we see the Doctor in space pretty much completely unprotected and he suffered essentially no ill effects that I can recall. Here it seems to be somewhat different. I'm trying to think if this condition has ever been applied to the Doctor before but I can't think of an example.

Bill continues to be interesting and not annoying as initial indications hinted at. Not a fan of Nadal still, though much better this story than previous ones.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"

Duly appointed enforcer of the Admin Accord Matt's Avatar

The First Doctor actually went through some physical torments, the worst probably exposure to the Dalek's time weapon in The Dalek's Masterplan. The same weapon aged Sarah Kingdom to death so goodness knows what pressure it put on the Doctor's already ageing form.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    The First Doctor actually went through some physical torments, the worst probably exposure to the Dalek's time weapon in The Dalek's Masterplan. The same weapon aged Sarah Kingdom to death so goodness knows what pressure it put on the Doctor's already ageing form.
    He also had his life essence taken from in The Savages, and by Mondas in The Tenth Planet, when he finally reached the point where he needed renewal (it wasn't named regeneration until Planet of the Spiders). I wonder if the planet Mondas will play a part in the finale, and a role in the Twelfth Doctor's regeneration.

Standing Member

It might be that I really liked Clara a lot, one of my favourite companions, but I don't think that explains it. However, it used to be that I looked forward to each episode--even the not so great ones--because it felt like watching a mini-movie. I really was excited to enter this fantastic world.

But this series, I'm just not feeling it. My level of enthusiasm is somewhere in between THE FLASH and ARROW. And I never used to think of DW as just a TV show--yet now I have that feeling.
    Profit by the example of
    DASH

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Finally! Now THAT is a Doctor Who episode! "Oxygen" is the best episode of the season so far.

spoilers:
    So we find out that the Doctor has to stay close to earth because he's guarding the vault. HAS to guard it. The person in the vault has to be the Master. Just makes too much sense. So it probably won't be. Ha!

Cool story. Liked how they had to use the space suits even though the suits would try and kill them.

"I'm maxing out your adrenaline". LOL

Nardole was funny in this episode. His banter with the Doctor was really good. Bill didn't so much though. Kind of just another background character it seemed.

And what the heck? The Doctor is still blind??

This episode was so good that before I knew it, it was over
    end of spoilers
    Im Mary Poppins, yall.---Yondu

"There is a difference between you and me. We both looked into the abyss, but when it looked back at us... you blinked."---Batman

"I am a mad man with a box!"---The Doctor

"Man wants to punch a beehive, let him punch a beehive"---Mark Waid

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.---John 3:16

Mighty Member
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

It was a good episode from what I could hear (as with bugs...not a fan of corpses.). Well, in storytelling. The actual plot was chilling.

However, unless the next Doctor is spectacularly good, this may be my last season watching Who. Slowly coming to realize that my love for Who is hanging on for the mystery of the Doctor (which they have been gutting) and the Tardis. I'm just loathe to let one of the. Last remnants of my youth go.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Standing Member

They put a lot of effort into making the futuristic technology look right, yet I prefer the silly tech on the old DW series.

For the old series, I can come up with my own theory on why humans seem to have reel to reel tape computers in the far future, for example. That might only appear to be reel to reel tape and actually is some sophisticated future tech dressed up to look old school--the way radios and phonographs used to be hidden inside fancy wood cabinets or the way the recycling bin on my screen looks like a rubbish bin when it's not one.

But at the beginning of last night's program, I was already asking myself if in such a distant future, given science has progressed so far that humans can travel great distances in spaceships, would we still use clunky space-suits, or would we have figured out ways of getting around in the vacuum of space that allow greater freedom of movement?

Maybe making tech look real, based on what's real now, is not the way to go.
    Profit by the example of
    DASH

[QUOTE=Kyer;2810762]It was a good episode from what I could hear (as with bugs...not a fan of corpses.). Well, in storytelling. The actual plot was chilling.

However, unless the next Doctor is spectacularly good, this may be my last season watching Who. Slowly coming to realize that my love for Who is hanging on for the mystery of the Doctor (which they have been gutting) and the Tardis. I'm just loathe to let one of the. Last remnants of my youth go.[/QUOTE
    I'll really be happy when moffat is gone; hopefully with the next doctor, we'll get stories that won't tie into an overall season arc, and a companion who is just the companion, and doesn't have some greater mystery tied to her.
    Last edited by protege; 05-16-2017 at 07:13 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    This goes way back to when Jon Pertwee got his best mate to play the Doctor's best frenemy on the show though. They've taking the Master back to his roots.
    Exactly!!!

Those two would have sword fights between civil conversations.

Astonishing Member

I liked last night's episode. I love Bill. I really like Nardole. I thought Nardole was gonna be stupid comic relief, but I am glad he is wary of 12. I like how both companions question the Doctor for different reasons. I was surprised about the Doctor's new condition. I like this season.

I have to say that I really enjoyed this episode.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

All-New Member

Guys check this video out!!!

https://vimeo.com/217611884

I really want a nice replica/model of the mark IX sonic screwdriver, but I'm struggling to find one that isn't either a load of crap or many hundreds of pounds. Does anybody know of any really nice options?
    "Live a poem... or die a fool!"

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    I really want a nice replica/model of the mark IX sonic screwdriver, but I'm struggling to find one that isn't either a load of crap or many hundreds of pounds. Does anybody know of any really nice options?
    Have you tried Ebay?
    Im Mary Poppins, yall.---Yondu

"There is a difference between you and me. We both looked into the abyss, but when it looked back at us... you blinked."---Batman

"I am a mad man with a box!"---The Doctor

"Man wants to punch a beehive, let him punch a beehive"---Mark Waid

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.---John 3:16