Page 96 of 96 FirstFirst ... 46869293949596
Results 1,426 to 1,430 of 1430

Yeah, I think Star Trek TOS (Series and movies) was probably the most ambitious with the aliens. A lot of the spin-offs (TNG and later) didn't really have that much non-humanoid aliens, and the makeup for the humanoid aliens was often not that elaborate either (or not even tried with some races that were identical to humans. Then again we're talking about Doctor Who here where the main character is an alien who on the exterior is identical to humans!). There's some exceptions of course. Oddly enough even the JJ Abrams films don't seem to have that many elaborate non-humanoid aliens either despite the larger budget (Although there were plans for redesigned Gorn and Salt Vampires for a prison scene cut out of the film).

Doctor Who I always think has been somewhat more inventive with the non-humanoid aliens although they did look often look cheap at times.

Veteran Member Monkey Astronaut's Avatar

John Hurt awarded Knighthood!

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Who News

John Hurt, who played the War Doctor in the 50th Anniversary special The Day of the Doctor, has been awarded a knighthood in the Queen's New Year Honours list.

The actor was given his award for services to drama. Sir John Hurt has had a career lasting more than five decades, appearing in films such as The Elephant Man, where he played John Merrick, Nineteen Eighty-Four where he played Winston Smith and Scandal where he played Stephen Ward. On Television he is best known for playing Caligula in the renowned I, Claudius and Quentin Crisp in The Naked Civil Servant. His distinctive voice has been used in many productions such as Watership Down and the animated The Lord of the Rings.

Also honoured is actor James Corden who played Craig Owens alongside the Eleventh Doctor, who has been made an Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, or OBE. Corden, who was also honoured for services to drama said he was delighted at with award.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Astronaut View Post
    Well, he's certainly earned it. Well done, John. Hope all those years without didn't 'Hurt'.
    With Great Power, There Must ALWAYS Come Great Responsibility.

Closing Time,
    Every last beginning
    Is another beginnings'
    End'

HULK SMASH...but not box office receipts...

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Yeah, I think Star Trek TOS (Series and movies) was probably the most ambitious with the aliens. A lot of the spin-offs (TNG and later) didn't really have that much non-humanoid aliens, and the makeup for the humanoid aliens was often not that elaborate either (or not even tried with some races that were identical to humans. Then again we're talking about Doctor Who here where the main character is an alien who on the exterior is identical to humans!). There's some exceptions of course. Oddly enough even the JJ Abrams films don't seem to have that many elaborate non-humanoid aliens either despite the larger budget (Although there were plans for redesigned Gorn and Salt Vampires for a prison scene cut out of the film).

Doctor Who I always think has been somewhat more inventive with the non-humanoid aliens although they did look often look cheap at times.
    Oh well....I did grow up surrounded by cheap aliens (Everything from reruns of Buck Rogers/Flash Gordon movie serials on so I'm not really complaining. Meaning everything has been pretty much uphill from that starting point.)

Sir John Hurt. Sounds good.
    Any other Doctor Who actors/actresses that received such an honor via their royalty?

Aw dang! Now that I re-read the article I can 'hear' John Hurt's voice from Watership Down but can't recall which character he voiced.
    Last edited by Kyer; 01-13-2015 at 03:52 PM.
    OPINION: Noun: O-pi-nion
    The belief in the ratio of the circumference of an aromatic bulb the essence of which can make people cry tears of sadness or outrage. Most commonly found in boiling substances when not hidden underground.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2015/01/14/do...s/#more-199854

Paul Kaye, of Game of Thrones and Dennis Pennis fame, has joined the two part Season 9 premiere.

Also includes Morven Christie, Arsher Ali, Colin McFarlane, Steven Robertson, Neil Fingleton, Zaqi Ismail and Sophie Stone
    With Great Power, There Must ALWAYS Come Great Responsibility.

Closing Time,
    Every last beginning
    Is another beginnings'
    End'

HULK SMASH...but not box office receipts...