Page 76 of 76 FirstFirst ... 26667273747576
Results 1,126 to 1,139 of 1139

I thought the effects this episode were pretty good--it's nice to see all that forest around familiar monuments. The lighting gave Clara's face a soft warm glow. The fireflies reminded me of those I saw in evenings walking around the lake at Bled in Slovenia--they didn't seem alien to me. I thought the children were much less irritating than children in other stories--it's always tricky working with children.

I didn't think the teachers were very good at being teachers. They seem to forget their responsibilities and then every so often remember to do their job. I wonder what parents would sign the permission papers letting these two have their kids overnight in a museum.

I think the whole to-do about Clara lying to the Doctor about Danny and lying to Danny about the Doctor is overdone. This is the kind of artificial plotting you have in romantic comedies. X lies to Y and keeps lying, when telling the truth would clear up the whole misunderstanding. You see this on THE BIG BANG THEORY or in Adam Sandler movies.

It's not proof that Clara is a devil woman capable of crimes equal to the Master or that Clara is on the same moral/amoral footing as a Time Lord.

I don't like it when DOCTOR WHO takes something trivial, silly or mundane and tries to give it an unearned importance--often by having characters make speeches or using dramatic lighting or employing heavy music.

Also at the end when they cut away to Missy, yet again, I started to groan. They've gone once too often to the well with her and now it doesn't build suspense for me. I'm just tired of it. And that scene was so mechanical--a throwback to the old series, but not in a good way. It was as bad as if Missy had been watching the whole episode on a viewscreen and then cackled while she tented her fingers and gloated about her dastardly plans.

I agree with your assessment. I just don't think there is much chemistry with Clara and the Doctor, it all feels very manufacturered by the writers who don't know what to do with them. I liked Clara with Smith, and I like Capaldi's Doctor, they just don't sync.

I also haven't found any of the stories this season particularly compelling. They are not bad, just not special.

And yes about Missy, get on with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I have really enjoyed the character building from this season. However, I do miss the monsters. I am liking the 12th Doctor, and his relationship with Clara. I am a fan of Danny Pink, as well. As a character, Clara really needed this season.

Based on the pre-season trailers, I thought we would get more hard-hitting & dark stories. I never read the spoilers online.

I do look at 12, and think......was this how 6th was supposed to be?

I want to see 12 match wits with a true villain again.
    Didn't they hint at Davros during the pre-season trailer with his voice narration ?

Quote Originally Posted by fmvgamer View Post
    Didn't they hint at Davros during the pre-season trailer with his voice narration ?
    They might have altered what was being said by the Dalek to sound like Davros.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Quote Originally Posted by fmvgamer View Post
    I thought that too until realized it was just a 'dalek' voice.

Am really tired of Clara and especially Clara and Danny.
    Amy and Rory were great as was Donna's relationship with her grandad Wilf, but Clara and Danny seem so....forced. Maybe it's just because it's early on in the relationship, but I never got that feeling with Amy and Rory before their wedding.

Also frightfully tired of children in general.

Lord Nelson (the statue) got busted!
    Obviously not a Weeping Angel then.

Missy uses a tablet. That just.... Somehow I would expect a person with futuristic tech around them to have something more advanced than a tablet.
    At least she wasn't playing Angry Birds or Candy Crush on it.
    OPINION: Noun: O-pi-nion
    The belief in the ratio of the circumference of an aromatic bulb the essence of which can make people cry tears of sadness or outrage. Most commonly found in boiling substances when not hidden underground.

I keep forgetting: In Flatline when the Doctor is struggling to get out of the child-sized Tardis...why didn't he just open the other door so as to make a wider exit? Did I miss something there?

Also, I want the Tardis Cube as a paperweight. This has got to come out as a toy sometime.
    Last edited by Kyer; 10-26-2014 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Flatline comments
    OPINION: Noun: O-pi-nion
    The belief in the ratio of the circumference of an aromatic bulb the essence of which can make people cry tears of sadness or outrage. Most commonly found in boiling substances when not hidden underground.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    Also, I want the Tardis Cube as a paperweight. This has got to come out as a toy sometime.
    It has. A prop company is making an official licensed thingy of it.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    I keep forgetting: In Flatline when the Doctor is struggling to get out of the child-sized Tardis...why didn't he just open the other door so as to make a wider exit? Did I miss something there?
    Yeah, that seemed illogical to me too, especially since he opened both doors when the TARDIS shrunk even further so that his hand could go through.

However, irritating to me was the fact that the sound FX team "shrunk" the creaking door sound, too. And that sound already grates on my teeth. There were a few episodes early in the Smith era where the doors would open and they wouldn't make that sound, and I rejoiced. Then they brought it back for some reason, and continue to use it to this day. Ugh.

I know the TARDIS is full of timey-wimey advanced tech, but just give me a can of WD-40 for that door hinge!

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    I agree with your assessment. I just don't think there is much chemistry with Clara and the Doctor, it all feels very manufacturered by the writers who don't know what to do with them. I liked Clara with Smith, and I like Capaldi's Doctor, they just don't sync.
    Wow! The interplay between The Doctor and Clara has been my favorite single thing about this series!

This series has just been excellent all-around, in my opinion. Unless the finale is a failure of spectacular proportions this'll usurp the first Matt Smith season as my favorite. I think Listen, Mummy on the Orient Express, and Flatline are all top-tier Doctor Who (and Into the Dalek and Time Heist are right under 'em).

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Wow! The interplay between The Doctor and Clara has been my favorite single thing about this series!

This series has just been excellent all-around, in my opinion. Unless the finale is a failure of spectacular proportions this'll usurp the first Matt Smith season as my favorite. I think Listen, Mummy on the Orient Express, and Flatline are all top-tier Doctor Who (and Into the Dalek and Time Heist are right under 'em).
    I guess it comes down to personal POV of it. Thanks for the response.

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    I guess it comes down to personal POV of it. Thanks for the response.
    We all see things differently, 'cause we're all snowflakes.

I'm hoping this finale is a good outing for the Cybermen. I love 'em, but I can't deny that there are only a few truly great Cybermen stories.

I like both Jenna Coleman and Peter Capaldi and I think they're all right in their parts. But this reminds me of CASABLANCA. Ingrid Bergman said that they didn't know at the outset which direction her character would go. Would she stay with Rick or Lazlo? Did she love Rick of Lazlo? So she had to play it very cold, not giving away much emotion.

I think neither Coleman nor Capaldi know from one script to the next which way their character is supposed to go. So they just have to play the scene as writ and hope that they get the right direction.

But it's all these little bits that add up to nothing big. There's no reason in the script for Clara to be so angry with the Twelfth Doctor--or to really like him that much, either. There's no big reason for the Twelfth Doctor to mistrust Clara nor to trust her so much. Based on her history with the Eleventh Doctor, Clara should be trusted (she sacrificed everything for him) and Clara ought to trust the Doctor--however since the regeneration they have just gone back and forth, dancing around vague questions, hemming and hawing.

Given the lukewarm (at best) reception to In the Forest of the Night, I've started thinking back to subpar episodes that tend to come before the season finale:

-Boom Town
    -Fear Her
    -Closing Time
    -Nightmare in Silver

Now, opinions will surely differ of course, and I wouldn't say it's a pattern because we've had some strong exceptions in the past (Turn Left is definitely one; Blink was smackdab in the middle of a string of really strong episodes). I'm also on the fence on The Lodger -- a decent romp, not horrible, but definitely not close to the finale, either. But after 8 seasons, I've come -- later than others, admittedly -- to be wary of pre-finale episodes, especially since this last one came after a handful of quite excellent episodes.

I'm also willing to stretch this into the year of movies and count Waters of Mars in there -- I feel like I'm the only one in the world who thought it was "meh" -- but then again, I don't think I really liked any of the movies that year, and only watched out of obligation.
    Last edited by Cyke; 10-28-2014 at 08:11 AM.

Senior Member Art School Dropout's Avatar

"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison