Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 62
  1. #46
    Mighty Member WontonGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    1,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    Romance never goes well in superhero comics, I doubt it would go well in superhero movies. Did anyone watch the thing between Captain America and Black Widow in the Winter Soldier film?
    Romance never goes well in superhero comics or movies? Of course it does. And that goes for TV too.

  2. #47
    Mighty Member WontonGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    1,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    RE: Flash television show

    this is a whole other conversation, but a lot of the heat Iris gets isn't because of her relationship with Barry
    You can say that again.

  3. #48
    Mighty Member WontonGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    1,425

    Default

    Romance works fine and to be honest, most mature Males don't have a problem with it. For most folks, if the show is supposed to be action oriented, as long as they keep that up, then people are fine with it.

    For example, I think Iris and Barry on The Flash works fine. But I think the Rachel Dawes character in Batman Begins should had just been a close friend. BUT Rachel's romance with Harvey Dent worked as a nice subplot because it made sense for his story.

    So it just depends. And also if they are with people that they match well with. If they are, then the romance won't take away from the story.

  4. #49
    Death becomes you Osiris-Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    3,577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    RE: Flash television show

    this is a whole other conversation, but a lot of the heat Iris gets isn't because of her relationship with Barry
    Quote Originally Posted by WontonGirl View Post
    You can say that again.
    But the point is the whole reason Iris is on the show in the first place is to be the romantic interest for Barry. Any other quibbles are because they are trying to make her more than just the romantic interest.
    It's not like with Felicity, where she was on the show just as a tech support character and evolved into the romantic interest. Felicity would have functioned just fine if she had never became a romantic interest
    and had always been the tech support character. What purpose would Iris have served if not being the romantic interest?

  5. #50
    Astonishing Member AJBopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    But the point is the whole reason Iris is on the show in the first place is to be the romantic interest for Barry. Any other quibbles are because they are trying to make her more than just the romantic interest.
    It's not like with Felicity, where she was on the show just as a tech support character and evolved into the romantic interest. Felicity would have functioned just fine if she had never became a romantic interest
    and had always been the tech support character. What purpose would Iris have served if not being the romantic interest?
    TBF, that's the only reason most romantic interests ever existed in the comics too. That doesn't make it bad, in my opinion.
    Why yes, I AM a Mark Goodson/Bill Toddman production.

  6. #51
    Invincible Member TheInvisibleMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Northeast US
    Posts
    11,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    But the point is the whole reason Iris is on the show in the first place is to be the romantic interest for Barry. Any other quibbles are because they are trying to make her more than just the romantic interest.
    It's not like with Felicity, where she was on the show just as a tech support character and evolved into the romantic interest. Felicity would have functioned just fine if she had never became a romantic interest
    and had always been the tech support character. What purpose would Iris have served if not being the romantic interest?
    she wasn't his romantic interest the whole of the first season and a good part of the second
    “If you listen to the fans, you’ll find yourself sitting with them”

    - Joe Kuharich

  7. #52
    Boisterously Confused
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    she wasn't his romantic interest the whole of the first season and a good part of the second
    They weren't in a relationship (at least, she wasn't with Barry), but everybody that knew anything about Flash had baked-in expectations, and the entire first season featured Barry pining for her. That would seem to fall within the range of a romantic interest for Barry's character, even if it's unrequited (and the scripts gave enough conflicted signals to throw the "unrequited" part into doubt).

  8. #53
    Invincible Member TheInvisibleMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Northeast US
    Posts
    11,225

    Default

    mmmmm baked in

    I liked baked goods
    “If you listen to the fans, you’ll find yourself sitting with them”

    - Joe Kuharich

  9. #54
    Death becomes you Osiris-Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    3,577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    mmmmm baked in

    I liked baked goods
    I just baked an apple pie.

  10. #55
    Boisterously Confused
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I just baked an apple pie.
    I'm frequently told that I'm half-baked.

  11. #56
    Incredible Member Jackalope89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    787

    Default

    Romance can work fine. It doesn't need to be the main focus, but if done right, only adds to the story rather than detracts. For example, many people are quite receptive to Bat/Cat marriage, and Supes and Lois being back together since Rebirth.

    Dinah and Ollie in the comics is as good as ever, no one is complaining about that.

    While, I would have preferred Ollie with Dinah in Arrow, the way the series went, made that all but impossible. But Barry and Iris' relationship in Flash is actually pretty solid. I think its her lack of being a reporter the last couple of seasons is what would be her main issue.

  12. #57
    Astonishing Member Powerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,906

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cadet View Post
    If it wasn't for the romance subplot, a lot of action movies wouldn't even have a named female character.
    Also, the CW shows have to have romance. Without it, you'd have five minutes of episodes and 55 minutes of commercials.
    Superman was a beacon to the world. He didn’t just save people, he made them see the best part of themselves.

  13. #58
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Bronx, New York
    Posts
    3,503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    she wasn't his romantic interest the whole of the first season and a good part of the second
    Yes she was. It was made clear from episode one that Barry was crushing on Iris.

  14. #59
    "Emma is STILL right! Vegeta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,305

    Default

    I like it. I know it's cheesy but a "world without love" never really feels like a world worth fighting for, and the best way to exemplify that in a 1-2 hour film is with a love interest for the lead character. Close friends or parental figures can sometimes work in that same capacity but it's rare. (And if the friend is part of the hero squad then they are usually cannon fodder for the purpose of hero angst) Movies and shows where it is just about completing "the mission" bore me. A "job well done" pat on the back before they are sent off on another mission just isn't as rewarding as a romantic kiss, imo.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

  15. #60
    Invincible Member TheInvisibleMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Northeast US
    Posts
    11,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    I like it. I know it's cheesy but a "world without love" never really feels like a world worth fighting for, and the best way to exemplify that in a 1-2 hour film is with a love interest for the lead character. Close friends or parental figures can sometimes work in that same capacity but it's rare. (And if the friend is part of the hero squad then they are usually cannon fodder for the purpose of hero angst) Movies and shows where it is just about completing "the mission" bore me. A "job well done" pat on the back before they are sent off on another mission just isn't as rewarding as a romantic kiss, imo.
    oh but to the neckbeards out there, its ALL ABOUT THAT

    the lone warrior who rejects all but their sworn duty

    they get a boner off that ish

    probably the only thing that gives them a boner
    “If you listen to the fans, you’ll find yourself sitting with them”

    - Joe Kuharich

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •