View Poll Results: How has THE LAST JEDI affected your view of Luke Skywalker?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Luke is GREATER than ever!

    22 31.88%
  • No change. Luke is Luke, just older.

    11 15.94%
  • Didn't like this take on him at all.

    36 52.17%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 123
  1. #46
    Astonishing Member Soubhagya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    2,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    There's also the ending of ESB, where he decides to not kill Piett, hinting that there was some subtle change due to his encounter with Luke.
    I had not considered that. Good call.

  2. #47
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    189

    Default

    the most painful part of this film was Luke.What some people don't seem to understand is whatever they decided to do with Luke after The Battle of Endor would inevitably affect how we view the OT. So to create this character who has made mistakes, thought of killing his own nephew, gave up on the Jedi and lost hope, you essentially rob the original films of their feeling of positivity and hope for the future as represented through Luke. You can't watch the celebrations at the end of TROTJ without thinking 'well Luke goes back on everything he believes in, runs away from everyone into seclusion and requires a Miss Nobody to come along and kick out him out of it. That, to some people, has damaged their enjoyment of the original films. You can look to the future, but whatever Rian chose to do, he should have allowed the past to remain unchanged so at least we could go back and experience the original films as we always did.

  3. #48
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,691

    Default

    While the fan in me would have loved a balls-out (not literally) lightsaber and Force duel between Luke and Snoke/Kylo Ren, the way that Luke handled Kylo at the end was, to me, as Jedi-like as how Luke confronted Vader thirty years earlier. Overcoming the Dark Side without using violence is probably the highest level of Jedi attainment.

    Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

    First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

    First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

  4. #49
    Looney Toon Carabas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    16,539

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    While the fan in me would have loved a balls-out (not literally) lightsaber and Force duel between Luke and Snoke/Kylo Ren, the way that Luke handled Kylo at the end was, to me, as Jedi-like as how Luke confronted Vader thirty years earlier. Overcoming the Dark Side without using violence is probably the highest level of Jedi attainment.

    Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    The way I see it, in Return Of The Jedi Luke went at Vader, practically foaming at the mouth, beat him into submission, chopped off his hand, and if the Emperor of all people hadn't stopped Luke and made him look at what he was doing, he probably wouldn't have stopped for a while yet.
    "One may be intelligent, and a Nazi. Then one is not decent. One may be decent and a Nazi. Then one is not intelligent. And one may be intelligent and decent. Then one is not a Nazi"
    - Gerhard Bronner

  5. #50
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    The way I see it, in Return Of The Jedi Luke went at Vader, practically foaming at the mouth, beat him into submission, chopped off his hand, and if the Emperor of all people hadn't stopped Luke and made him look at what he was doing, he probably wouldn't have stopped for a while yet.
    Palpatine offered Luke a choice...just as he had to Anakin some twenty-plus years earlier. What surprised Palpatine, though, was that unlike Anakin, Luke made the right choice.

    Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

    First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

    First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

  6. #51
    Looney Toon Carabas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    16,539

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Palpatine offered Luke a choice...just as he had to Anakin some twenty-plus years earlier. What surprised Palpatine, though, was that unlike Anakin, Luke made the right choice.

    Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    The way I see it, Anakin fell to the Dark Side years before Palpatine tried to turn him, back when he butchered an entire tribe of sandpeople. And he was gray at best even before that.

    Really, Palpatine is like the dumbest Sith Lord ever. Only reason he won is because the Jedi Order was already falling apart.
    "One may be intelligent, and a Nazi. Then one is not decent. One may be decent and a Nazi. Then one is not intelligent. And one may be intelligent and decent. Then one is not a Nazi"
    - Gerhard Bronner

  7. #52
    Incredible Member Godzilla2099's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    833

    Default

    I don't blame Mark for being upset with Luke's Character

    The original trilogy, Luke was very hopeful and determined. IV, he goes against all odds to destroy a super weapon, V after finally convincing Yoda to train him, he drops everything he's doing despite warnings and odds to save his friends and VI, he was the only one trying to save his Father despite everybody including Obi-Wan saying he was a lost cause.

    Now Luke is this miserable hermit drinking milk from a Dr Seuss Space Donkey? I understand things and people change but Luke has always been the Moral Compass.

    Luke should have been the one to try to save his nephew, not overpowered Rey

  8. #53
    Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Palpatine offered Luke a choice...just as he had to Anakin some twenty-plus years earlier. What surprised Palpatine, though, was that unlike Anakin, Luke made the right choice.

    Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Yeah, I think Lucas made that parallel explicitly clear with the Count Dooku scene in ROTS.

  9. #54
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,691

    Default

    Re: Luke's green lightsaber.

    Considering both Darth Vader and Ben Solo, Luke TWICE came close to killing a Dark Side user using this green lightsaber, only to relent in the end.

    Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

    First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

    First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

  10. #55
    Spam Hunter Conn Seanery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1997
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Posts
    3,864

    Default

    Conn Seanery
    CBR Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Eddard Stark's other bastard

    "Looks like someone is going to college! And that person and I have something in common; college!" ~Kimmy Schmidt

  11. #56
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Re: Luke's green lightsaber.

    Considering both Darth Vader and Ben Solo, Luke TWICE came close to killing a Dark Side user using this green lightsaber, only to relent in the end.

    Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Conversely, the blue Skywalker lightsaber has killed two Dark Side users (Dooku, Snoke) and dealt a defeat to a third (Kylo Ren).

    Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

    First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

    First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

  12. #57
    Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Outta Town
    Posts
    2,179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Conversely, the blue Skywalker lightsaber has killed two Dark Side users (Dooku, Snoke) and dealt a defeat to a third (Kylo Ren).

    Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Plus it was used to remove Jedi master, Mace Windu's arm,leading to his death and also killed numerous Jedi in the Jedi temple including younglings.

  13. #58
    Spectacular Member MagnusRex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Elizabeth, NJ
    Posts
    154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    Except that Obi-Wan and Yoda both had an entire Empire against them. Darth Vader who was hunting down all remaining Jedi and other force users. Then there was hiding that Luke and Leia were alive. So situations where totally different.

  14. #59
    Spam Hunter Conn Seanery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1997
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Posts
    3,864

    Default

    I wonder if the creator meant for you to take it as seriously as you are.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Eddard Stark's other bastard

    "Looks like someone is going to college! And that person and I have something in common; college!" ~Kimmy Schmidt

  15. #60
    Fantastic Member ClanAskani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MagnusRex View Post
    Except that Obi-Wan and Yoda both had an entire Empire against them. Darth Vader who was hunting down all remaining Jedi and other force users. Then there was hiding that Luke and Leia were alive. So situations where totally different.
    Exactly. Obi-Wan and Yoda were facing impossible odds and only helped when they were needed. Luke went into hiding allowing billions of people to die at the hands of the First Order. If he had gone after Snoke rather than going into hiding, everything happening in the sequel trilogy could have been avoided.

    If Obi-Wan was like Luke in TLJ, he would have told them he wouldn't help Leia, and that Luke shouldn't become a Jedi. Luke didn't become Obi-Wan or Yoda, he grew up to be Uncle Owen.
    Last edited by ClanAskani; 01-08-2018 at 05:06 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •