View Poll Results: How has THE LAST JEDI affected your view of Luke Skywalker?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Luke is GREATER than ever!

    20 32.79%
  • No change. Luke is Luke, just older.

    9 14.75%
  • Didn't like this take on him at all.

    32 52.46%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 114
  1. #1
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,242

    Default For fans who have seen THE LAST JEDI only: opinion on Luke Skywalker

    This poll is for fans who have seen STAR WARS VIII: THE LAST JEDI.

    How has this film affected your view of Luke Skywalker?

    Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

    First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

    First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

  2. #2
    iMan 42s
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,670

    Default

    He's literally the most powerful Jedi we've seen yet. He got his groove back and showed Kylo Ren why he's a Jedi Master. I'd argue that kind of beats Galen Marek cause invincible projection from across the galaxy that can still duel you is probably the most powerful ability seen yet.

    He's bitter, anyone would be after what set this story up, but it goes to show why he's the Jedi we need right now.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

  3. #3
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,871

    Default

    I voted for didn't lie this take at all, but please understand that comes with a great big caveat:

    I personally and vehemently disagree with the core concept of Luke's status quo and ethos at the start of TLJ... But I can deny that outside of that judgement, I think they executed their idea perfectly. My issues are strictly personal, and rooted in a belief that they started from the question "how can we make sure Luke doesn't take over this film entirely" instead of "what's the most logical thing that could happen to the guy from ROTJ that would send him on a mission to find the earliest Jedi Temple?" And that in so doing, they kind missed their goal (he does take over the last bit of the film pretty handily) and that they could have told a more satisfactory but equally moving story with a different take,

    By that I mean that at the same time that while I'm watching Luke's exit and grading its execution as perfect for what it is, emotionally it failed to connect because of my issues with the Genesis for this version of the character. Instead of getting tears eyes, I was getting frustrated, and was simulataneously grading the moment as good cinema I was rolling my eyes.
    Co-Host of FranchiseWars podcast on ITunes with the Condor, which you can find in ITunes.
    Most recent episode: STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI- Great? Good? Frustrating? All of the above!
    (Spoilers at 27:50, crazy rant about Finn at 1:02:40)
    https://www.buzzsprout.com/132209/61...spoiler-review

  4. #4
    Fantastic Member regg215's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    283

    Default

    While I think Mark Hamill gave a great performance for the material that he was given overall I would have to say I didn't like this take on Luke at all. To me his character in this movie went completely against the established character he was in the Original trilogy. One of the defining things about Luke for me was that he never gave up on people, I mean he is the one guy in the galaxy who thinks Vader can be redeemed and believed it so strongly that he was willing to die for it. Yet more experienced Luke, who personally saw that nobody was beyond redemption just decides that his teenage nephew is so evil that he believes he needs to kill him. Even if you excuse the whole Jedi temple thing when Kylo is younger it still doesn't explain why at the at the end of the film Luke still thinks Kylo is beyond saving. Kylo is way more conflicted than Vader ever was and instead of searching for the good like he repeatedly did with Vader he just accepts that Kylo can't be saved.

    Also of the Jedi in the Stars Wars series, Luke seemed like he was the most optimistic of the group. Yet Ben and Yoda who saw order 66 and the betrayal of annakin didn't become broken depressed people looking for death like Luke did after Kylo went to the dark side. Overall the last Jedi just presented a version of Luke that seemed unrecognizable to what the character was established to be in my opinion. It was a great performance by Hamill but overall much like he initially stated, I fundamentally disagreed with the way this movie saw Luke as a character and the direction that they went with him.
    Favorite Characters

    DC-Mr. Miracle, Big Barda, Batman, Green Arrow, Black Canary, Superman, Wonder Woman, Deathstroke

    Marvel- Thor (Odinson), Wolverine(Logan),Daredevil, Elektra, Mr. Fantastic, Invisible Woman,Spider-Man (Peter), Vision

  5. #5
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    473

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    While I think Mark Hamill gave a great performance for the material that he was given overall I would have to say I didn't like this take on Luke at all. To me his character in this movie went completely against the established character he was in the Original trilogy. One of the defining things about Luke for me was that he never gave up on people, I mean he is the one guy in the galaxy who thinks Vader can be redeemed and believed it so strongly that he was willing to die for it. Yet more experienced Luke, who personally saw that nobody was beyond redemption just decides that his teenage nephew is so evil that he believes he needs to kill him. Even if you excuse the whole Jedi temple thing when Kylo is younger it still doesn't explain why at the at the end of the film Luke still thinks Kylo is beyond saving. Kylo is way more conflicted than Vader ever was and instead of searching for the good like he repeatedly did with Vader he just accepts that Kylo can't be saved.
    But where Luke was in the OT isn't comparable to where he is when things hit the fan with Ben. In the OT, he's the young upstart with nothing to lose. The challenger with all the potential and nothing holding him back. Once he begins training new Jedi, he stops being a radical, outsider presence and becomes an institutional presence. His decision in dealing with Ben (pre-film) aren't about whether or not Ben can be redeemed. We even see him ultimately make the choice that Ben can be (it's just too late, as Ben has woken up to find his uncle standing over him with a murder weapon). One thing to keep in mind is that Luke never actually CONSIDERED killing Ben. It was an instinctive, fear based reaction that he was immediately ashamed of. That fear is born from the radically different circumstances Luke finds himself in. Now he's become the head of an institution, and has considerations that are much more conservative in approach. If you'll excuse a poor analogy, it's the difference between winning $5000 when you're freshly 21, and you blow it all in Tijuana because you have no responsibilities and you can, and doing so when you're 35 and have kids. Your entire thought process changes. Young Luke can be bold and act on his radical instincts with Vader (remember, both Yoda and Obi-wan warned him what he was trying would fail) because the odds are so long and it's only his life on the line. Older Luke has different priorities and expectations, which inform his different position.

    As for Luke's assessment that Kylo can't be saved, I have two arguments. The first is that when talking with Rey, Luke isn't acting rationally, but once again out of fear. For all his conflict with Jedi doctrine and his own sense of failings, he recognizes that Rey is the future of the Order. He likely also fears Snoke's influence, having already lost Ben to him. The second is that when talking with Leia, Luke never says that Ben can't be saved. Just that he (Luke) can't save him. Given Ben's hatred of Luke, this comes as no real surprise. Luke isn't going to be the one gets through to Ben, if anybody does.

  6. #6
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    With the Orishas
    Posts
    4,133

    Default

    I don’t like the way Luke was handled.

    The way Luke ended up in TLJ is more befitting of someone like Wolverine who has always operated in the gray areas and is eventually overcome by everything.

    Luke is the guy that sees the good in everything no matter the situation. Yeah, he saw the dark side in Kylo but Darth Vader was THE scourge of the galaxy and Luke still saw little good in him and successfully changed him. He might have experienced a moment of weakness with Kylo but after Ben lost his mind and destroyed the temple, Luke simply ran away. This is very problematic because Luke knew Snoke was corrupting Ben, so why didn’t he try to track down and take out Snoke before he corrupted even more potential Jedi? The rise of the dark side was fatal to the Old Republic; seeing this Luke should have alerted Leia and the government and the armies to a potential new threat. He didn’t and he only showed up after the Republic and the Resistance have been decimated.

    Luke wasn’t just being weak here, he was being foolish which is totally unforgivable in my book.
    Race, sexuality and genders are not weapons. They should not be used to guilt people and they should not be used to judge people. Life is much easier when we simply accept people that are different than us and realize there is strength in diversity.

  7. #7
    Mighty Member ChrisIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,467

    Default

    He seems to be a bit more like the more naive and impatient Luke we see in ANH and ESB at times, rather than the more calm and composed Luke of ROTJ (who still had some failings, in particular during the confrontation with Palpatine and Vader when he let anger control him twice.)
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

    https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

  8. #8
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,808

    Default

    I like how Mark Hammil played the part, but ultimately I don't think I like this take on the character.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

    “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

  9. #9
    Original CBR member Jabare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,923

    Default

    Hammil had a good performance

    Skywalker is not the most powerful we've ever seen. He projected a hologram because he was too lazy to show up himself.

    How long was he in hiding, just chilling at that temple again?

    Also what's he doing creeping into his nephews room at night while Kylo is sleeping? Creeper alert.
    The J-man

    I post via my phone a lot, therefore I make the occasional grammatical error. Not an excuse just forewarning you. Feel free to call me out I won't mind.

  10. #10
    Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I voted for didn't lie this take at all, but please understand that comes with a great big caveat:

    I personally and vehemently disagree with the core concept of Luke's status quo and ethos at the start of TLJ... But I can deny that outside of that judgement, I think they executed their idea perfectly. My issues are strictly personal, and rooted in a belief that they started from the question "how can we make sure Luke doesn't take over this film entirely" instead of "what's the most logical thing that could happen to the guy from ROTJ that would send him on a mission to find the earliest Jedi Temple?" And that in so doing, they kind missed their goal (he does take over the last bit of the film pretty handily) and that they could have told a more satisfactory but equally moving story with a different take,

    By that I mean that at the same time that while I'm watching Luke's exit and grading its execution as perfect for what it is, emotionally it failed to connect because of my issues with the Genesis for this version of the character. Instead of getting tears eyes, I was getting frustrated, and was simulataneously grading the moment as good cinema I was rolling my eyes.
    I think it's weird that they came in with the mentality that the older generation can't co-exist alongside the newer characters without co-opting the story.

  11. #11
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    With the Orishas
    Posts
    4,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I think it's weird that they came in with the mentality that the older generation can't co-exist alongside the newer characters without co-opting the story.
    There-in lies the problem.

    Surely Disney plans to make more movies with the new characters? So why not just give the OT heroes a respectful send off in this trilogy by handing over to Rey and co instead of breaking them and throwing them into the dump?
    Race, sexuality and genders are not weapons. They should not be used to guilt people and they should not be used to judge people. Life is much easier when we simply accept people that are different than us and realize there is strength in diversity.

  12. #12
    Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    There-in lies the problem.

    Surely Disney plans to make more movies with the new characters? So why not just give the OT heroes a respectful send off in this trilogy by handing over to Rey and co instead of breaking them and throwing them into the dump?
    I mean, there's really no reason why Luke couldn't hang around for the foreseeable future, assuming Hamill was willing.

    Harrison Ford wanted for Han to be killed off but Hamill didn't want Luke to die. And it makes sense that some of the characters would indeed survive.

    And I am perfectly capable of loving Luke and Rey in future installments. It's not like, "Oh, wow, now that Luke's dead I'm finally freed to like the new guys!"

    I loved the new characters from the moment they appeared in TFA.

  13. #13
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,712

    Default

    Newbie Jedi Luke Skywalker in his mind had nothing to lose by believing in his lost dad.

    Jedi Master Luke Skywalker saw possibility of a Dark sider Ben Solo as a threat to everything he had personally build over who knows how long.

    He didn't act on his fears but the damage was done and now his only option was to confront his former student, and very likely kill the son of his sister and best friend. Whose life he ruined by putting him on the Jedi path.

    Then he would have to explain all this to Han and Leia after he did it.

    NO WONDER he gave up and hid.

    Everything the guy did for the last 25 years turned to ash.

  14. #14
    Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,160

    Default

    I think one of the biggest questions going forward is whether Disney created a generational rift in their big tent fanbase?

    TFA felt like it brought generations of fans together, TLJ feels like it might be polarizing them.

  15. #15
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post

    Skywalker is not the most powerful we've ever seen. He projected a hologram because he was too lazy to show up himself.
    He also had no ship to get off of Ahch-To on. His X-Wing must have been completely totaled after being submerged in the ocean for so long.

    Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

    First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

    First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •