View Poll Results: How has THE LAST JEDI affected your view of Luke Skywalker?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Luke is GREATER than ever!

22 31.88%
  • No change. Luke is Luke, just older.

11 15.94%
  • Didn't like this take on him at all.

36 52.17%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Indeed he wouldn't.

We are talking about the man who believed there was still good even in a despicable person such as Vader. But in the last joke they would have us believe that this man would murder his own nephew, during his sleep no less, just because he was a bit edgy.

Yeah, brilliant. Truly a masterpiece of writing.
    They would not have us believe he'd murder his own nephew. Because, well, he didn't murder his own nephew. He didn't even try. The movie suggested he had a passing dark thought that lasted literally only a second and he came to his senses. Problem was that one second of a passing dark thought had major consequences.

There's at least the argument to be made about Luke's isolationist behavior. I get that. I subscribe to some of it. But this never had a leg to stand on and still doesn't. It actually fits his character. The temptation and brief touching of darkness only to relent. Its happened before. And to squash a common rebuttal immediately, "He's older now and should have learned his lesson" doesn't work. Because that is not how the dark side of the Force works. A Jedi doesn't just "learn his lesson" from one temptation and that's it. Even the most dedicated Knight has to always be vigilant to not let it creep in, all the time. There is no point of immunity. That's just one of the realities in this mythos of utilizing the Force.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-01-2018 at 09:16 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

"Now why don't we step up here and everybody get stepped up, and let's get some stepped up personal space up in this place." - Phillip Jacobs

Quote Originally Posted by Serpico Jones View Post
    Luke Skywalker would never abandon his friends.
    In Lucas's original ending for Return Of The Jedi, Luke abandoned his friends to go off and do his own thing.
    "One may be intelligent, and a Nazi. Then one is not decent. One may be decent and a Nazi. Then one is not intelligent. And one may be intelligent and decent. Then one is not a Nazi"
    - Gerhard Bronner

Lucas also planned on killing Luke if he got around to his version of a sequel trilogy. In IX, not VIII, but he still would've died nonetheless. Its actually kinda amusing in that aspect, that everyone saying Johnson ruined the character yet in in some very important key ways he actually took directly from the creator of said character's plans.

That doesn't mean its not okay to not like Luke's direction Whether Lucas did it or someone else, if you didn't like it you didn't like it. But all too often people take their own personal offense and try and pass it as offensive to someone with at least the allure of more authority than them, to make their personal offense seem more factual and less opinionated.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-01-2018 at 11:13 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

"Now why don't we step up here and everybody get stepped up, and let's get some stepped up personal space up in this place." - Phillip Jacobs