Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default In Your Face Jam - Jul 16, 2014

In a move that should surprise absolutely no one, Brett White loves the reimagined Thor!

Full article here.

Im in the give it a chance category. Not keen on it, just like I was not keen on Spider-Ock, that still seemed rushed to me, then I remembered the Movie came out...

"THOR is the latest in the ever-growing and long list of female-centric titles that continues to invite new readers into the Marvel Universe. THOR will be the 8th title to feature a lead female protagonist and aims to speak directly to an audience that long was not the target for super hero comic books in America: women and girls."

Doesn't get much more clear than that, does it? Seriously, that last sentence is like a hammer drop to all the haters who have constantly said that women can't flex their spending muscles at the box office or in the TV ratings or at comic shops. It's phrased in press release prose, sure, but it's also kinda gleefully defiant towards naysayers and firmly on the right side of history. I love that paragraph.
    How does that "drop the hammer on the haters" that says that women can't flex their muscles in comic shops makes sense when the new Thor book has not been released yet?

Not only that but so far, with all the initiatives Marvel has done in recent years, it's not like women characters like Sif or the Fearless Defenders have been box office giants. So Marvel has tried this before.

. I've gone years without seeing Boom Boom in a regular comic and I'm doing okay.
    Boom Boom was a core member of Cable and X-Force, and that was only 7 months ago...just saying Brett
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

If more than a curious few of the people that watch the View regularly actually buy this new series, I'd be in a state of pure amazement.

The comic will probably sell well because of the press, just as previous major mainstream-press-focussed releases have. I don't really think it's going to do a lot to either increase the audience numbers for comics, or any real change in the demographics.

More likely it's just creating options for when Hemsworth's contract ends.

I don't really mind the move in general (though the guy's name is Thor, and he is still around, so what exactly is he meant to refer to himself as if someone's come along and taken his name as well as his powers - it's just confusing, really). Hopefully it at least results in a good story, as was the case with Superior Spidey (boo to the haters - it's a fantastic story arc).

There's no question at all that the male, Hemsworth-looking, Thor will be back in the role just in time for Thor 3, though. That's just 100% inevitable.

Perhaps White needs to explain to everyone how exactly Odinson is a ridiculous last name. He's the son of Odin, therefore under Nordic naming conventions, which are still used in places like Iceland and have parallels in many other cultures across the world, he would be named Thor Odinson, nothing ridiculous about it.

Also slightly ironic that he chose to make this comment on Wednesday, which as we all know is named after Odin's Anglo-Germanic counterpart Wodanaz. No points for guessing who Thursday is named after. (Hint - it's not a woman, Friday was named after one though).
    Last edited by PwrdOn; 07-16-2014 at 05:41 PM.

now if only they could could equal out the playing field with race. they have about 5 books lead by minorities.

I'm just upset they didn't make Thor a woman of color. This is such a half-measure, and such an opportunity lost...

Give me a freakin break! Stop wishing Marvel to pander to the screwed up polly correct crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Boat View Post
    How does that "drop the hammer on the haters" that says that women can't flex their muscles in comic shop...
    I just wonder who these haters are. Seems like a pretty big leap from most of the complaints I have seen on this forum, which should be representative of this male dominated geek culture he is alluding to, to go from the nitpicks he nitpicks about to some sort of sexist stereotyping of the target audience of this book (which I guess is still aimed at selling to all of the males who were buying Mighty Thor or whatever it is called now).

I have no problem with this book switching out the title character as they are but that does not mean I cannot point out flaws, for example calling her Thor is beyond silly even for a comic book. Just because it might be step forward for comic book equality or whatever, it does not mean I cannot criticize it.

See, my problem with this story is not that Thor will be a woman.

I'm not reading Thor, but it's been getting a lot of great reviews, so I have no doubt they can do something great with this new Thor storyline too.
    New female character? That's a great thing too!

My problem is that they're going for the 'main character gets replaced by someone else' gimmick.

Again.

They're doing the same thing in Captain America right now. Which they already did a few years ago when he died and Bucky took his place.
    They just did it with Superior Spider-Man. They just introduced a new Spider-powered Girl. And Spider-Verse will soon bring along a ton of Spider-Characters.
    They did it with Red Hulk.
    They did it with Fake Movie Nick Fury. (ok so I suppose he's a whole other kind of problem)
    They did it with...

Get my drift?

By now the Replacement Character trope is just getting stale because they do it to EVERYONE!!
    Last edited by Iam Fear; 07-16-2014 at 08:29 PM.

My wife, who doesn't read comics, asked me this morning "Why does Marvel keep doing this stuff?". My cynical answer was "The View, Colbert, USA Today..." but I thought about it, isn't she supposed to say "WOW that's great!!! I want to go read a Thor comic this very minute!". I grew up reading Thor and he was a character I loved then as a pre-teen the Walt Simonson run began, and Thor was cemented as one of my all-time favorite characters. I think for a certain segment of readers, those of us who read comics before the 90's cartoons before the movies, have a definitive view of certain characters. What has Marvel given us over the past few years? Bucky-Cap now Falcon, Doctor Octopus as Spider-Man, Sam Jackson Fury as Nick Fury Jr. to take Nick Fury's place, a female Thor...is it really going to bring in new readers as opposed to those who just want good stories and great art in a comic book starring our favorite characters? Does it give people fodder for internet columns and then more fodder to shoot down those who don't like the moves that Marvel has made? Is it worth losing a recognizable character (AGAIN) for a few years? I don't know.

I honestly would like for Marvel to be more creative and create NEW characters.
    Last edited by Shawn Kane; 07-17-2014 at 06:29 AM.

While I am 100 % in support of new titles with Female protagonist I can't say I'm in support of this move. I wish I could support it because God knows the genre needs to do something about its lean towards misogyny. One only has to look at the costumes of Power Girl and Sue Richards throughout the 80's to see it. Unfortunately for me there are some undeniable canons: Peter Parker is Spider-Man, Bruce Wayne is Batman, Clark Kent is Superman and yes both Hercules and Thor are male. That being said there are plenty of characters in both the DC & Marvel Universes that can be built upon and developed but these take vision and adherence to the Long Plan. DC seems to have done better in this area than Marvel although not strikingly so, the short lived Hawk-girl, Cat-woman, Batgirl, and the ever lasting Wonder Women.

I know I'll get some hate on this but truthfully my issue is this: this to me is a cheap theatrical shot, which lacks creativity. The hope here is to turn and existing title which draws revenue, create some buzz and more revenue, without really and truthfully addressing an issue that exists in the industry - Balance.

THANK YOU for calling people out on their crap about this.

Quote Originally Posted by greenteeth View Post
    I'm just upset they didn't make Thor a woman of color. This is such a half-measure, and such an opportunity lost...
    I think they'd run the risk of too many Storm comparisons that way.