Page 38 of 46 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 ... LastLast
Results 556 to 570 of 689
  1. #556
    Scarlet and Proud! Star_Jammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    That looks awfully better than what the books have going on right now.
    I, personally, can't wait to have Bendis have Luthor talk to Lois Lane like Doom did to Carol Danvers:

    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."

  2. #557
    Heavy Vinyl Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Vinyl Mayhem
    Posts
    3,327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    I, personally, can't wait to have Bendis have Luthor talk to Lois Lane like Doom did to Carol Danvers:

    That's quite bad, but Bendis is still going to be better than either Tomasi/Gleason or Jurgens.

    It's a low bar to clear.
    Creativity without constraint comes with responsibility. We do not make art in a vacuum isolated from sociopolitical context - RG

  3. #558
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Not liking a writer having a character "forget" that she ever had any kids (quoted because it was never explained why she didn't remember them), while giving her an insanely huge powerboost while at the same time saying that this powerboost isn't caused by the source of power that has had consistent validation, and then leaving the mess for other writers to clean-up/retcon into reasoning isn't "being protective of the status quo", it's being mindful of the thought and creativity of the authors before you.

    Everything Bendis did with the above character could have been done numerous other ways, with more care and concern for the continuity before his. Yet his method reeks of the "Eh, it's mine now" mindset.



    Here's the kind of dialogue you can come to expect:

    I'm glad that he wants to make an impact. I wouldn't want a writer who just wants to write static characters and is scared to do too much. I don't know which character you're referencing, but I would rather read that story than one where she does what she always has done, we learn nothing new and there's no advancement. I understand that some fans would rather everything stay mostly the same, I'm just not one of those fans.

    It seems like most fan reaction isn't about the actual change, but whether they like the change. So if Bendis, say, kills Luthor, someone who hates Luthor won't feel like he changed too much. Someone who likes Luthor will. Bendis did the same thing in both cases, changed the same amount, but one fan will think it's dynamic while the other fan will feel he went too far.

    Bendis' dialogue is one of my favorite things about him. I get that some people feel like everyone talks the same, and I can see that up to a point, but I like that style of dialogue so it doesn't bother me.

  4. #559
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    I'm not into continuity at all. If he did a story that revealed Superman wasn't actually an alien but some sort of science experiment, I'd be cool with that. Turn it all upside down just tell a good story. The writing is what matters most to me.
    The hypocritical thing is that every single author adds to the overall story, it's just when they add things someone likes it's ok but when they don't like it they're going too far. I'm not sure where the idea came from that there is some sort of creative ceiling, that we want big bold ideas but not TOO big and bold. We wouldn't want them to not fit with a story that was published decades ago and set three universes back.

    I want good stores and continuity concerns secondary also. In my experience most posters are the opposite, they care very deeply that not too much is changed and there is usually a period they would like each character to remain in forever.

  5. #560
    Ultimate Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,806

    Default

    That Doom panel was bad. That X-Men panel is fine, not seeing what the problem is there.
    They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son. - Jor-El.

  6. #561
    Scarlet and Proud! Star_Jammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    I'm glad that he wants to make an impact. I wouldn't want a writer who just wants to write static characters and is scared to do too much. I don't know which character you're referencing, but I would rather read that story than one where she does what she always has done, we learn nothing new and there's no advancement. I understand that some fans would rather everything stay mostly the same, I'm just not one of those fans.

    It seems like most fan reaction isn't about the actual change, but whether they like the change. So if Bendis, say, kills Luthor, someone who hates Luthor won't feel like he changed too much. Someone who likes Luthor will. Bendis did the same thing in both cases, changed the same amount, but one fan will think it's dynamic while the other fan will feel he went too far.

    Bendis' dialogue is one of my favorite things about him. I get that some people feel like everyone talks the same, and I can see that up to a point, but I like that style of dialogue so it doesn't bother me.
    You keep confusing "character stagnation" with "character growth, with respect to the continuity that came before that", and I really can't figure out why.

    People can dislike change not just because it's "change", but because it was handled poorly.
    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."

  7. #562
    Notorious M.O.S. Kuwagaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    That's quite bad, but Bendis is still going to be better than either Tomasi/Gleason or Jurgens.

    It's a low bar to clear.
    I didn't take any real offense when I read that and still don't, because it's just comics, but... come on.

    So if you're not familiar with Marvel, Doom speaks nothing like that, and if he did there was no reason to have him bind Carol, leader of this powerful and competent version of the Avengers, and call her a "fat whore." While Bagley slides in a butt shot, because she's both so unappealing and also worth objectifying (not on Bendis, just a general wonky scene unlike the Superman titles right now). That's good and well worse than how Jurgens or Tomasi treat their heroines and at some point it's just a spiteful denial.

    Of course, it's kinda weird to take some of the worst dialogue from a completely different title when considering a new writer. That's like fearing Lois will catch J'onn in a psychic affair with Clark because Grant Morrison is writing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    That Doom panel was bad. That X-Men panel is fine, not seeing what the problem is there.
    Bendis has a very large catalogue of pages where people essentially just say the same words in repetitive panels with minimal rearrangement and maybe a few question marks to mask it. Once you notice it, you might not read without noticing it.


  8. #563
    Heavy Vinyl Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Vinyl Mayhem
    Posts
    3,327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I didn't take any real offense when I read that and still don't, because it's just comics, but... come on.

    So if you're not familiar with Marvel, Doom speaks nothing like that, and if he did there was no reason to have him bind Carol, leader of this powerful and competent version of the Avengers, and call her a "fat whore." While Bagley slides in a butt shot, because she's both so unappealing and also worth objectifying. That's good and well worse than how Jurgens or Tomasi treat their heroines and at some point it's just a spiteful denial.
    I've read worse from both teams.

    Jurgen's stuff goes back further, Tomasi's is more recent.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Of course, it's kinda weird to take some of the worst dialogue from a completely different title when considering a new writer. That's like fearing Lois will catch J'onn in a psychic affair with Clark because Grant Morrison is writing.
    Or that Superman would be a cannibal because Tomasi was writing him.
    Creativity without constraint comes with responsibility. We do not make art in a vacuum isolated from sociopolitical context - RG

  9. #564
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    4,639

    Default

    Expect a big promotional poster for the Bendis run

    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/02...promo-posters/


    Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    That's quite bad, but Bendis is still going to be better than either Tomasi/Gleason or Jurgens.

    It's a low bar to clear.
    Oh stop it. Tomasi and Jurgens were fine, and they got me back into the books...so much for the "low bar" as you claim. As far as I'm concerned, they raised the bar higher than it'd been in years.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    That Doom panel was bad. That X-Men panel is fine, not seeing what the problem is there.
    What he did to the X-Men was worse than what he made them say.

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    The only difference between a cool addition to the mythos and shitting on established canon is whether that particular person likes the idea or not.
    Or has enough taste and common sense to point out b.s and awful writing when they see it, rather than like the change because it's "cool" for "cool"'s sake.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 02-13-2018 at 02:53 AM.

  10. #565
    Heavy Vinyl Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Vinyl Mayhem
    Posts
    3,327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Oh stop it. Tomasi and Jurgens were fine, and they got me back into the books...so much for the "low bar" as you claim. As far as I'm concerned, they raised the bar higher than it'd been in years.
    We've been over this before.

    You are a fan of their work, while I'm not and take issue with much of their writing.
    Creativity without constraint comes with responsibility. We do not make art in a vacuum isolated from sociopolitical context - RG

  11. #566
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    You keep confusing "character stagnation" with "character growth, with respect to the continuity that came before that", and I really can't figure out why.

    People can dislike change not just because it's "change", but because it was handled poorly.
    I understand the difference. We just define those things differently, it seems like, and put different value on the previous continuity.

    Second point.. I agree, that can happen. When it seems like fans find some fault with EVERY change, though, it feels like they dislike change in general, regardless of how it's handled.

  12. #567
    Incredible Member Lukmendes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    I, personally, can't wait to have Bendis have Luthor talk to Lois Lane like Doom did to Carol Danvers:

    Is this the story where Carol replies to that with "That hurt my feelings"?

  13. #568
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Is this the story where Carol replies to that with "That hurt my feelings"?
    Yep!

    10char.

  14. #569
    Fantastic Member Lvenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    I, personally, can't wait to have Bendis have Luthor talk to Lois Lane like Doom did to Carol Danvers:

    This is an example of why I'm not spending a penny on Bendis' Superman run no matter how long it lasts. Stuff like this is painfully awful and Bendis is going to have a similarly cringeworthy line of dialogue in his run at some point.

  15. #570
    Notorious M.O.S. Kuwagaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    I've read worse from both teams.

    Jurgen's stuff goes back further, Tomasi's is more recent.



    Or that Superman would be a cannibal because Tomasi was writing him.
    I meant regarding the current runs, definitely didn't mean to imply ever because I know no writer is immune to coming from a weird place with their writing. Makes me both morbidly curious and suspicious of what happens when editors read scenes like that, detached from the writer's head space.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •