Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 113
  1. #76
    Fantastic Member Lukmendes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Like that time he let a random thief go because it "wasn't his job" to stop thieves and said thief later killed his Uncle Ben after breaking into the Parker household?
    Or that time he decided to not see the results of a test to see if he's a clone or not during the first clone saga.

  2. #77
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    4,105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Or that time he decided to not see the results of a test to see if he's a clone or not during the first clone saga.
    Yeah, that led to a big mess later, but I suppose the universe sees fit to punish Peter for even the smallest and most seemingly insignificant of selfish/stupid/short-sighted acts or decisions as a means of keeping him on a heroic track and not getting so full of himself that he forgets what great power really means.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  3. #78
    Fantastic Member Lukmendes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Yeah, that led to a big mess later, but I suppose the universe sees fit to punish Peter for even the smallest and most seemingly insignificant of selfish/stupid/short-sighted acts or decisions as a means of keeping him on a heroic track and not getting so full of himself that he forgets what great power really means.
    Probably less of that and more of some sadisctic thing writters like to do with Spidey (Or think that readers only like to see him being the universe's punching bag), which, admitedly can be fun, but overdoing it is boring.

  4. #79
    World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    spoilers:
    Words cannot express how big a waste this was. It was in character for Peter, but, man, anticlimactic much?
    end of spoilers
    Haha, I actually really liked Peter using his favor on that, thought it was a great touch. I'm only pissed because Slott had Peter turn down Loki offering him another favor to reinstate Parker Industries after it was wrongfully blamed for HYDRA's evil deeds for absolutely no reason in universe. Goddammit Slott - even when you do something good, you ed up messing something else up.

    Did anyone else hate how lazily Slott resolved Peter and Bobbi's relationship? Off panel break up? Come on! And I wasn't even a huge fan of that pairing in the first place...

  5. #80
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Haha, I actually really liked Peter using his favor on that, thought it was a great touch. I'm only pissed because Slott had Peter turn down Loki offering him another favor to reinstate Parker Industries after it was wrongfully blamed for HYDRA's evil deeds for absolutely no reason in universe. Goddammit Slott - even when you do something good, you ed up messing something else up.
    As I said, it was 100% in character for Peter to use his favor here, and I’m not upset with him in-universe for spoilers:
    saving someone’s life.
    end of spoilers

    I am upset out of universe with Dan Slott for spoilers:
    using what could have been a major game changer for “save background red-shirt #36529” instead of something creative.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by SilverWarriorWolf; 02-07-2018 at 03:57 PM.

  6. #81
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    4,105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Probably less of that and more of some sadisctic thing writters like to do with Spidey (Or think that readers only like to see him being the universe's punching bag), which, admitedly can be fun, but overdoing it is boring.
    Point taken, and I'd agree with that.

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    As I said, it was 100% in character for Peter to use his favor here, and I’m not upset with him in-universe for spoilers:
    saving someone’s life.
    end of spoilers

    I am upset out of universe with Dan Slott for spoilers:
    using what could have been a major game changer for “save background red-shirt #36529” instead of something creative.
    end of spoilers
    I think Slott did it like that so that however "Go Down Swinging" turns out, it's something Peter has to live through with his own powers, skills, determination, and moral fortitude --- not just calling in favors from (somewhat) morally dubious gods --- thus proving his innate heroism and strength of character.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  7. #82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    As I said, it was 100% in character for Peter to use his favor here, and I’m not upset with him in-universe for spoilers:
    saving someone’s life.
    end of spoilers

    I am upset out of universe with Dan Slott for spoilers:
    using what could have been a major game changer for “save background red-shirt #36529” instead of something creative.
    end of spoilers
    In the story, it was also used to set up the final arc by suggesting bad stuff is coming, and that Peter won't be able to use this tool.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

  8. #83
    Fantastic Member Lukmendes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Haha, I actually really liked Peter using his favor on that, thought it was a great touch. I'm only pissed because Slott had Peter turn down Loki offering him another favor to reinstate Parker Industries after it was wrongfully blamed for HYDRA's evil deeds for absolutely no reason in universe. Goddammit Slott - even when you do something good, you ed up messing something else up.
    It was to keep the point "There's always a cost", which is immediately ignored when he asks for Loki to do something as big as turning back time to save some random guy and refusing to go back to PI era for no reason (Not even with some excuse like him not wanting to alter too many events in fear of fucking with the timeline).

    Did anyone else hate how lazily Slott resolved Peter and Bobbi's relationship? Off panel break up? Come on! And I wasn't even a huge fan of that pairing in the first place...
    At the very least, it was more remarkable than the relationship itself

    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I think Slott did it like that so that however "Go Down Swinging" turns out, it's something Peter has to live through with his own powers, skills, determination, and moral fortitude --- not just calling in favors from (somewhat) morally dubious gods --- thus proving his innate heroism and strength of character.
    It could either be that he's doing something for the next writter and took out Loki's favor on the request of the other writter just to remove it, or he's pulling a Grant Morrison and is leaving something that can't be easily removed lol.

    Either way, Peter already solves his problems usualy by himself is already part of what Spider-Man is about, so Loki's favor shouldn't even be something to worry about it, and fact that Peter used it to do something as big as going back in time to save some guy breaks that point.

  9. #84
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,498

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    It was to keep the point "There's always a cost", which is immediately ignored when he asks for Loki to do something as big as turning back time to save some random guy and refusing to go back to PI era for no reason (Not even with some excuse like him not wanting to alter too many events in fear of fucking with the timeline).
    I think it's clear that Peter wouldn't want to use Loki's favor for something so selfish as to make himself rich again. Altering the timeline would also be a concern, as PI's collapse has already put so many lives on different courses.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Either way, Peter already solves his problems usualy by himself is already part of what Spider-Man is about, so Loki's favor shouldn't even be something to worry about it, and fact that Peter used it to do something as big as going back in time to save some guy breaks that point.
    Given that Peter's actions (despite Loki setting him up) led an innocent to die, there was no way for Peter not to ask Loki to undo that.

  10. #85
    Fantastic Member Lukmendes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I think it's clear that Peter wouldn't want to use Loki's favor for something so selfish as to make himself rich again. Altering the timeline would also be a concern, as PI's collapse has already put so many lives on different courses.



    Given that Peter's actions (despite Loki setting him up) led an innocent to die, there was no way for Peter not to ask Loki to undo that.
    He already altered the timeline when he asked Loki to go back in time and prevent those bugs from being released in the first place, sure, going back in time even further to PI era would alter the timeline even more, but the fact is he's already okay with an altered timeline and doesn't make any mention of something like "I'm already taking a risk by asking to go back in the past, going further would be too risky.", and getting back to PI era wouldn't be that selfish considering how he was legit helping people, and all web wares being destroyed might've fucked a lot of people's lives to begin with, at the very least people using prosthesis would have some problem (Since it was mentioned Flash's legs he got from it weren't working anymore).

    Not saying that I want him to go back to PI era, just saying that when he mentions "I'm not asking for magic favors because they have a cost" and in the same issue he basicaly says "Let's use time travel to save this guy", well, good intentions or not, he just ignored his own point.

  11. #86
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Point taken, and I'd agree with that.



    I think Slott did it like that so that however "Go Down Swinging" turns out, it's something Peter has to live through with his own powers, skills, determination, and moral fortitude --- not just calling in favors from (somewhat) morally dubious gods --- thus proving his innate heroism and strength of character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    In the story, it was also used to set up the final arc by suggesting bad stuff is coming, and that Peter won't be able to use this tool.
    Maybe, but he did it in a way that felt like an afterthought. "Oh, I've got to have some horrible consequence for the future! Better make sure this element from the past is completely gone, not just make it spoilers:
    Peter couldn't contact Loki, meaning it could be used for later"
    end of spoilers or something like that.

  12. #87
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,498

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    He already altered the timeline when he asked Loki to go back in time and prevent those bugs from being released in the first place, sure, going back in time even further to PI era would alter the timeline even more, but the fact is he's already okay with an altered timeline and doesn't make any mention of something like "I'm already taking a risk by asking to go back in the past, going further would be too risky.", and getting back to PI era wouldn't be that selfish considering how he was legit helping people, and all web wares being destroyed might've fucked a lot of people's lives to begin with, at the very least people using prosthesis would have some problem (Since it was mentioned Flash's legs he got from it weren't working anymore).

    Not saying that I want him to go back to PI era, just saying that when he mentions "I'm not asking for magic favors because they have a cost" and in the same issue he basicaly says "Let's use time travel to save this guy", well, good intentions or not, he just ignored his own point.
    Not really, no. Going back like two minutes to stop some innocent guy from getting killed by a mystical wasp while walking down the sidewalk seems like the right thing to do and much different than going back months to completely change a whole series of events that had a global impact.

    And he doesn't want to ask for magic favors for his own behalf. This is entirely to save a stranger's life.

  13. #88
    Incredible Member Hulkout42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    703

    Default

    The only thing i liked about this issue was the potential end of that ridiculous pair of Peter and Morse.
    Everything else was just so painful to see, do we really need to be reminded of OMD? Why does Slott have May immediately say it is Peter's fault? Why have Peter feel worse by causing a death even if it gets erased later on when we know he won't forget it? I mean if Slott is trying to convey he hates Peter than i think we got that message a while back. I just want Slott gone, please can they just hurry this up, get their precious Red Goblin out and gone and let someone else try to salvage the character?

  14. #89
    Incredible Member Hulkout42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    703

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Not really, no. Going back like two minutes to stop some innocent guy from getting killed by a mystical wasp while walking down the sidewalk seems like the right thing to do and much different than going back months to completely change a whole series of events that had a global impact.

    And he doesn't want to ask for magic favors for his own behalf. This is entirely to save a stranger's life.
    Problem is that he will remember it still and we all know about his issues with guilt.

  15. #90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    Maybe, but he did it in a way that felt like an afterthought. "Oh, I've got to have some horrible consequence for the future! Better make sure this element from the past is completely gone, not just make it spoilers:
    Peter couldn't contact Loki, meaning it could be used for later"
    end of spoilers or something like that.
    Slott also made it so that no one could spoilers:
    use Loki to undo Parker Industiries. There was some speculation that a One More Day type story would happen at the end of Slott's run that would reverse all the new stuff, but now this particular option isn't available to the next guy. Peter's allusion to One More Day is something the next writer could build on, or it's something that could be ignored for another decade.
    end of spoilers
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •