Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Jessica Jones post Bendis

First I don't think anyone else should write her. I honestly wish he would kill her and that they wouldn't bring her back till he leaves dc to come back to marvel. I honestly thought he was gonna kill her in the most recent issue.

But since they arent ending the series who would you like to see write her post bendis?
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    First I don't think anyone else should write her. I honestly wish he would kill her and that they wouldn't bring her back till he leaves dc to come back to marvel. I honestly thought he was gonna kill her in the most recent issue.

But since they arent ending the series who would you like to see write her post bendis?
    She's got a tv show, so she won't be killed off.

I do think writing her is a challenge... but not an impossible one. It just takes the right writer.

She's going to be around. Her Netflix show is still around and they've made her to integral to Luke Cage right now, unless they Mephisto that away
    The J-man

I post via my phone a lot, therefore I make the occasional grammatical error. Not an excuse just forewarning you. Feel free to call me out I won't mind.

Fantastic Member

Kelly Thompson, most people are thinking she will take over her book

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    She's going to be around. Her Netflix show is still around and they've made her to integral to Luke Cage right now, unless they Mephisto that away
    I think luke as a single father/grieving widow would be an interesting story to tell. But then you would have people saying she got fridges to make him more interesting.

I know she has the show and that's why she won't be killed.
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Steve Niles might be able to do some interesting things with her. Criminal Macabre is a great series about a hair-boiled detective living in a world of superpowered beings. Maybe Ben Templesmith could do the art as well.
    Last edited by Venomous Mask; 02-02-2018 at 10:53 PM.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Quote Originally Posted by Noek View Post
    That's my bet/wish as well. I liked her guest role in Hawkeye and I think it would be awesome if Jessica and Kate investigating things together was the new pitch for the JJ book after Bendis.

Are there people doing anything like the noir books that Bendis was doing just before Alias? Anything else like Jinx or Goldfish or Torso on the market? Whoever knows how to write in that same vein is the best bet for a replacement. Kelly Thompson doesn't sound like a bad choice either.

My biggest concern is actually who'll be drawing Jessica Jones. There's something about the energy of Alias and all its spin-offs that only Gaydos can bring to the table. I mean, outside of Bagley's flashbacks (and only his flashbacks), it usually doesn't even feel like you're reading about the same Jessica Jones from Alias if Gaydos isn't drawing her.

There's something about Gaydos' layouts — the stylistic choices he makes during interview scenes and inner monologues that make the book feel like it's Alias/Jessica Jones. Not to mention, the only artist besides Gaydos who can draw a Jessica that actually looks like Jessica is Michael Lark. Everyone else either draws her like Generic Brunette #48 or to look exactly like Krysten Ritter. If Gaydos is leaving the book with Bendis, it'll be the artist that makes or breaks it even moreso than the writer.

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    Are there people doing anything like the noir books that Bendis was doing just before Alias? Anything else like Jinx or Goldfish or Torso on the market? Whoever knows how to write in that same vein is the best bet for a replacement. Kelly Thompson doesn't sound like a bad choice either.

My biggest concern is actually who'll be drawing Jessica Jones. There's something about the energy of Alias and all its spin-offs that only Gaydos can bring to the table. I mean, outside of Bagley's flashbacks (and only his flashbacks), it usually doesn't even feel like you're reading about the same Jessica Jones from Alias if Gaydos isn't drawing her.

There's something about Gaydos' layouts — the stylistic choices he makes during interview scenes and inner monologues that make the book feel like it's Alias/Jessica Jones. Not to mention, the only artist besides Gaydos who can draw a Jessica that actually looks like Jessica is Michael Lark. Everyone else either draws her like Generic Brunette #48 or to look exactly like Krysten Ritter. If Gaydos is leaving the book with Bendis, it'll be the artist that makes or breaks it even moreso than the writer.
    To be honest I'd probably say someone like Jackson Guice. He could pull off that dark tone pretty well, as he's done that pretty successfully in stuff like Winter Soldier.

I consider Bendis leaving to be more of an opportunity than anything. They could do so much with that character that Bendis would never have done.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    well, since this is all about killing.... kill the baby, too.

Just kill everything tied to Cage.
    Iron Fist, Heroes For Hire, the thunderbolts...
    "Wipe them out, all of them."
    "One may be intelligent, and a Nazi. Then one is not decent. One may be decent and a Nazi. Then one is not intelligent. And one may be intelligent and decent. Then one is not a Nazi"
    - Gerhard Bronner

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    Superhero artists tend to be unskilled in making characters look distinct in any way except by their superhero costume.
    "One may be intelligent, and a Nazi. Then one is not decent. One may be decent and a Nazi. Then one is not intelligent. And one may be intelligent and decent. Then one is not a Nazi"
    - Gerhard Bronner

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noek View Post
    It's the only female writer that came to my mind to take over Jessica (but I would prefer Thompson more in Captain Marvel) or put Al Ewing (he already wrote her well in Mighty Avengers) or Matthew Rosenberg (his work with Kingpin showed he is good at street books and he could have the same fun he had writing Jessica like he did with Quake)
    Last edited by Johnrevenge; 02-03-2018 at 03:57 AM.

We KNOW it's a female writer. The timing matches up with Hawkeye's cancellation, so I'd be surprised if it isn't Thompson.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Thompson would be okay with me, certainly for a few 'try-out' issues. Ben Templesmith on just about anything would sell to me-- more his work on "Fell" (ah, "Fell"!) than, say, "Wormwood," but still--! I liked the Jessica Jones/Jessica Drew exchanges, and the Hawkeye/Alias possibility is intriguing.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Jack Staff, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Rat Queens, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Usagi, Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    I think luke as a single father/grieving widow would be an interesting story to tell. But then you would have people saying she got fridges to make him more interesting.

I know she has the show and that's why she won't be killed.
    They won't kill Jessica just to make Cage more interesting. Plenty of I teresting things can be done with Luke and Jessica, two characters who are both capable of carrying tv shows and solo books. No one needs to be fridged.