Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 107
  1. #61
    Astonishing Member Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    4,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    These new lines are supposed to introduce new readers to DC characters. But they're using a "diverse character" who doesn't exist in the DCU! You don't see the problem? If they wanted a diverse lead for GL, there's already John, Simon, and Jessica! If they wanted an Asian lead, then they should have done something with Kenan Kong and the JLC!
    The author wanted to tell a personal story influenced by his own life experiences and the people in it. He wanted the character to be an Asian teenager who succeeded his grandmother as the next GL, not just for diversity, but because the author is himself Asian whose grandmother was a strong woman that taught him important lessons in life. The fact that the book happens to have an "Asian lead" seems to be of rather secondary importance, he just wanted to tell a story that was dear to him and DC liked his pitch. That's really all there is to it. If DC wanted to use an existing GL they would've mandated so, while it seems like they just wanted a good story.
    Last edited by Johnny; 02-11-2018 at 05:35 PM.

  2. #62
    Astonishing Member El_Gato's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    The author wanted to tell a personal story influenced by his own life experiences and the people in it. He wanted the character to be an Asian teenager who succeeded his grandmother as the next GL, not just for diversity, but because the author is himself Asian whose grandmother was a strong woman that taught him important lessons in life. The fact that the book happens to have an "Asian lead" seems to be of rather secondary importance, he just wanted to tell a story that was dear to him and DC liked his pitch. That's really all there is to it. If DC wanted to use an existing GL they would've mandated so, while it seems like they just wanted a good story.
    Understandable, though I don't like it. Guess it doesn't matter anyway since I'm not the target demographic. Maybe I'll get lucky and the other GL's will pop up, though I doubt anyone outside of Hal will appear (wasn't he confirmed?).
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

  3. #63

    Default

    The idea of graphic novels for elementary and middle schoolers is a good one but I'm concerned about the new continuity. I think kids care more about one main continuity than adults. That's why manga was more appealing as a kid: you could just pick up volume 1 of Naruto and starts there and keep going. Granted manga was just more cooler than superheroes and that probably helped.

    Granted my gateway to DC was Batman Beyond so I think they'll manage.

    Rosterwise they could have gone more outside the box but maybe these are the best pitches to start out?

  4. #64
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    30,206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    https://twitter.com/bottomshelfbks/s...17080266604547

    The Green Lantern in "Legacy" will be a new character, an Asian teenager.
    Interesting. I remember we used to talk about a teen Lantern, and this also kind of reminds me of Kai-Ro from the DCAU.

    Makes me curious to see just how original they can get with the characters in this imprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I'm sure they would still find a way to give Hal a cameo in this book. lol
    I am curious if any of the main continuity GL's will appear in this.

  5. #65
    Astonishing Member Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    4,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Understandable, though I don't like it. Guess it doesn't matter anyway since I'm not the target demographic. Maybe I'll get lucky and the other GL's will pop up, though I doubt anyone outside of Hal will appear (wasn't he confirmed?).
    The author posted an image of Hal but it was more as a joke: https://twitter.com/bottomshelfbks/s...80888093450241

    We'll see I guess, though it's smart to be a standalone story with no other GLs showing up. If Hal does show up, he would instantly steal the boy's thunder.

  6. #66
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    30,206

    Default

    Y'know, I'd find it kind of funny if this new kid proves popular enough that there's a demand for him in the main continuity and then we'd have, like, 7 Earth Lanterns and one of them's a teenager .

  7. #67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Y'know, I'd find it kind of funny if this new kid proves popular enough that there's a demand for him in the main continuity and then we'd have, like, 7 Earth Lanterns and one of them's a teenager .
    So that's where all the Green Lanterns are during No Justice! :P

    And yeah, these books have their own continuity so I don't think it matters what they do as long as the creative teams tell the best story they can, which they all seem pretty inspired to do. Bruce is supposed to be half-Chinese in the Gotham High book because the writer is, too. I don't think we shouldn't be too concerned about these books are doing with new or old characters as long as it's done well and kids and young adults like them, right?

  8. #68
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    30,206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grayson - The Dark Heir View Post
    So that's where all the Green Lanterns are during No Justice! :P

    And yeah, these books have their own continuity so I don't think it matters what they do as long as the creative teams tell the best story they can, which they all seem pretty inspired to do. Bruce is supposed to be half-Chinese in the Gotham High book because the writer is, too. I don't think we shouldn't be too concerned about these books are doing with new or old characters as long as it's done well and kids and young adults like them, right?
    I didn't know about that. Interesting...also curious which of the Wayne's is Chinese now (I'm guessing Martha).

    Also feels a tad apropro with Batman: Ninja coming up (even if that's a Japanese set and made production).

    Other news I've found:

    - Gotham: Once Upon a Crime will be set in the universe of Lil' Gotham.


    - Shea Fontana will be writing a Batmobile origin story in Batman: Overdrive.



    - Black Canary Ignite will star a teenage Dinah Lance and be drawn by Cara McGee.


  9. #69
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    30,206

    Default

    Also, art for Super Sons:


  10. #70
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    You need those DIVERSE books NOW-not wave two or three.

    Folks are SCREAMING for it now. Kids don't give a DAMN about best IP this or who is popular according to adults.

    There is a reason they fight over Manga more than superheroes.

    There is a reason Miles Morales's novel was a best seller in less than a week.

    That DC list sounds like they didn't get that memo.

    Batman nor Superman need any more setting up. This company has to show it's more than those 2.

    No Black Lightning or Cyborg book-oh well Miles & Panther will gladly take those sales.

    No Vixen or Jessica? Ms Marvel & Moon Girl & Squirrel Girl say thanks.

    Those Dc books do me no good-my kids won't touch them. To them it's same old same old mess.

    That is what Dc doesn't get-you are in this mess because you are tossing out the same folks to those who are not interested.

    Now would have been a good time to do a book line building up Cyborg-along with others. A Cyborg & Batman story. Supergirl & Jessica novel. WW & Vixen. In other words sell who you have and show them along side bigger names as equals.
    What the hell are you talking about? These books are directly marketed to kids of all ethnic backgrounds and women. That's the whole point of this initiative.

    You say kids dont give a damn about IPs and then talk about Miles Morales being such a big seller . Hello he's Spider-Man.

    You obviously dont know a thing about the economics behind this new line. Not even a little bit. Its about reaching to kids and girls who cant afford the expensive monthly format that primarily caters to White males and free of continuity. DC Super hero girls utterly destroys the (non) sales statistics you keep posting. Please stop turning every post in to a giant racial tirade.

  11. #71
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Also, art for Super Sons:

    Um does Damian have red hair.

  12. #72
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    30,206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbatos666 View Post
    Um does Damian have red hair.
    He's taken the wrong lessons from Jason .

  13. #73
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    He's taken the wrong lessons from Jason .
    Lol and why is Jon's complexion darker than Damian's? I hope Damian's hair is brown. That would make sense atleast, red is a no go.

  14. #74
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,009

    Default

    Btw where are you getting these presentation pics from?

  15. #75
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    30,206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbatos666 View Post
    Btw where are you getting these presentation pics from?
    Twitter, under #DCZoom.

    There's also this Graphics Policy article.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •