Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 180
  1. #61
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Look East
    Posts
    678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Are you saying the majority of the money DC Entertainment earns is from comic books sales and that movies, TV, and merchandising are only a small added bonus? That if comic books sales were
    to disappear it would bankrupt DC Entertainment, they could no longer afford to make movies, TV shows, and merchandise?
    Pretty much yeah and DC and Marvel will burn just like the Ring Colony in Ring of Gundam. Because with no good source material that means there's nothing to adapt.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

  2. #62
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Look East
    Posts
    678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Saying "all lives matter" is sort of the equivalent of saying "let them eat cake".
    I don't get what you are saying, 'let them eat cake' is a term that shows ignorance to the plight of those you are unfamiliar with are you suggesting that I am ignorant? IEven if that was the case why shouldn't all lives matter?
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 02-09-2018 at 11:11 AM.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

  3. #63
    Astonishing Member dancj's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    You should see the videos online about the output from Marvel America Chavez actually advocate Latino segregation as something progressive who wants to read that.
    I havenít seen those videos, but anyone advocating segregation is the opposite of an SJW. That said Iíve seen people on the internet claim others are saying things and then as evidence provide links where they clearly donít say those things - so Iíd have to see it for myself to be sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    I referring to the fact that it's God who keeps everything in order
    The laws of science account for the vacuum of space pretty well. Now you may believe that God created those laws of science, but thatís a different thing.

  4. #64
    Astonishing Member dancj's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    I don't get what you are saying, 'let them eat cake' is a term that shows ignorance to the plight of those you are unfamiliar with are you suggesting that I am ignorant? IEven if that was the case why shouldn't all lives matter?
    The “black lives matter” movement isn’t suggesting that white lives don’t matter. Its whole point is that all lives matter - including black ones. To respond to that with “all lives matter” is to deliberately miss the point.

  5. #65
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Look East
    Posts
    678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    I haven’t seen those videos, but anyone advocating segregation is the opposite of an SJW. That said I’ve seen people on the internet claim others are saying things and then as evidence provide links where they clearly don’t say those things - so I’d have to see it for myself to be sure.
    That's what Gabby Rivera the writer of America Chavez's comic showed in the comic.

    Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    The laws of science account for the vacuum of space pretty well. Now you may believe that God created those laws of science, but that’s a different thing.
    Of course I believe God established many of those laws laws aren't passed without a person approving them.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

  6. #66
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Look East
    Posts
    678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    The “black lives matter” movement isn’t suggesting that white lives don’t matter. Its whole point is that all lives matter - including black ones. To respond to that with “all lives matter” is to deliberately miss the point.
    I thought it had evolved into something beyond that?
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

  7. #67
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    11,485

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    I thought it had evolved into something beyond that?
    What did you think it had evolved into?

  8. #68
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Look East
    Posts
    678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    What did you think it had evolved into?
    I thought the movement lost sight of it's purpose. So I said the wrong thing I should have said devolved.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

  9. #69
    Super Spy Carabas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    15,390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    I thought the movement lost sight of it's purpose.
    You thought wrong.
    "One may be intelligent, and a Nazi. Then one is not decent. One may be decent and a Nazi. Then one is not intelligent. And one may be intelligent and decent. Then one is not a Nazi"
    - Gerhard Bronner

  10. #70
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Look East
    Posts
    678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    You thought wrong.
    Right my mistake then. Any who if Marvel and DC don't find a way to pull up and reinvigorate interest in their properties goodbye adaptations and merchandise.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

  11. #71
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    11,485

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Right my mistake then. Any who if Marvel and DC don't find a way to pull up and reinvigorate interest in their properties goodbye adaptations and merchandise.
    I dunno. I think there's great interest in properties spun of from comic books, there's just less interest in the monthly comics themselves. For instance, the Black Panther comic sells at about 30k a month, but the movie is predicted to make $130mil. Even if it falls short, it still shows interest on the part of the general audience that excedes that of teh comics audience.

  12. #72
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I don't know about the memories, but the business practices of Marvel and DC are pretty much why the American comic book industry is in relatively poor shape compared to Europe's or Japan's.
    But does that even matter any more? For Marvel and DC, the real money is made merchandising and other media, it doesn't matter that much how the comics are doing. Marvel could take the profits from one of their movies and use it fund the comic book division for several years if they wanted to.

  13. #73
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Look East
    Posts
    678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I dunno. I think there's great interest in properties spun of from comic books, there's just less interest in the monthly comics themselves. For instance, the Black Panther comic sells at about 30k a month, but the movie is predicted to make $130mil. Even if it falls short, it still shows interest on the part of the general audience that exceeds that of the comics audience.
    But if the comics themselves do not make much bang for their buck the publishing division might have to be closed down then Marvel and DC will have to either sell their properties or convert themselves into studios for animation and live action shows. But doing that is a risk on it's own because even their adaptions are not immune to the same loss of interest that affect well everything that's the flavour of the moment. If this keeps up it will be just like bad World War II ended and people wanted more calm and stability in their lives so people loss interest in the superheroes fight against evil. So to stay afloat companies published different comics that were dedicated to different genres like romance and horror and the content was quite graphic. Which made things worse when psychiatrist Dr. Fredrick Wertham called comic books the source of the moral cancer that was rotting America and everyone even the US government turned against them and so the comic book industry had to censor themselves. Apart from the graphic scenes it was also because he examined juvenile delinquents on what they read and they said comic books not to mention the comics themselves had some very graphic content even back then. And so the industry hit an all time low and writers and artists lost their jobs. While DC has found some ways to draw attention to their comics by advertising the New Age of DC Superheroes on the telly and movie theaters it might be too little too late.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 02-10-2018 at 10:20 AM.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

  14. #74
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Right my mistake then. Any who if Marvel and DC don't find a way to pull up and reinvigorate interest in their properties goodbye adaptations and merchandise.
    Except comic books that obscure comic books that were not super popular have made insane amounts of money at the Box Office. Was Guardians of the Galaxy a huge deal before the movie came out? A comic book may not sell well and could still make crazy money at the box office, so yeah, the other media and the merchandising matters more then the comic books, that is where DC and Marvel make their money. Print is dying anyway, newspapers and magazine are going out of business, psychical comic books will suffer the same fate.

  15. #75
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Look East
    Posts
    678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    Except comic books that obscure comic books that were not super popular have made insane amounts of money at the Box Office. Was Guardians of the Galaxy a huge deal before the movie came out? A comic book may not sell well and could still make crazy money at the box office, so yeah, the other media and the merchandising matters more then the comic books, that is where DC and Marvel make their money. Print is dying anyway, newspapers and magazine are going out of business, psychical comic books will suffer the same fate.
    Somehow I beg to differ that print is dying out because there is still interest in printed material and it is necessary actually. And that's because the movie gave Guardians of the Galaxy a new fresh image just like writer Chris Claremont gave the X-Men a new more socially relevant image. MArvel's publishing division should have thought about it themselves but they didn't. So it's on them.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •