Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 162
  1. #61
    Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Northwest UK
    Posts
    2,431

    Default

    This is ridiculous. There is no sure-fire, 100%, concrete way to ensure that something like the Green Lantern titles will turn into a constant top selling series indefinitely.

    Putting a top tier creative team on the series and moving it in a new direction, a notion rejected in the OP, hasn't served characters like Batman too badly in the past and is the nearest that you'll get to a best case scenario. The much lauded reboot idea (that's cropped up on many threads now) is no more of a problem solver than any of the other 'band-aid' solutions that have been disparaged on here. As we all know, comic book fans in general just can't enough reboots

    For a start, it would help the franchise if DC actually got around to focusing on it more. It's not been a priority for them for a couple of years now, certainly during Rebirth. The various GL titles and characters have had little interaction with and even less of an impact on the ongoing 'Rebirth/Doomsday Clock' narrative and are a bit of an afterthought because of that. This is frustrating for GL fans but won't be the case forever.
    Last edited by WillieMorgan; 02-14-2018 at 04:51 PM.

  2. #62
    Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Arkham, Mass (lol no)
    Posts
    6,600

    Default

    What WillieMorgan said, that I couldn't have said better myself.
    Thank you America for voting for change.

  3. #63
    Super Spy Carabas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    15,440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    DC is shipping 26K copies of Green Lanterns a month, and the number is dropping fast.
    Floppy sales are not that great a measuring stick for success in 2018.
    "One may be intelligent, and a Nazi. Then one is not decent. One may be decent and a Nazi. Then one is not intelligent. And one may be intelligent and decent. Then one is not a Nazi"
    - Gerhard Bronner

  4. #64
    Spectacular Member 9th.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    222

    Default

    Nothing really unless they add Batman in front of the title.
    DC: The Wildstorm: Michael Cray. Black Lightning: Cold Dead Hands, Justice League
    Marvel: Iceman, Gen X, Falcon, Runaways, The Defenders
    Other: Rat Queens, Motor Crush, Noble, Accell, Superb

  5. #65
    Astonishing Member WebLurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    3,371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    I'd have swapped Simon for the Blue and Jessica for Yellow though.
    They already shut that down (it'd also not fit with the character's story arc).

    Seriously, though, why is it always "too many Earth Lanterns?" What the frak does that even mean?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

  6. #66
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Look East
    Posts
    746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    They already shut that down (it'd also not fit with the character's story arc).

    Seriously, though, why is it always "too many Earth Lanterns?" What the frak does that even mean?
    I think some people are really not happy with how there are hardly any alien Lanterns getting focus.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

  7. #67
    FF purist/snob CaptCleghorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    2,882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    They already shut that down (it'd also not fit with the character's story arc).

    Seriously, though, why is it always "too many Earth Lanterns?" What the frak does that even mean?
    The Green Lantern series published on Thanagar has 13 Thanagarian Green Lanterns. They seem to be totally OK with it.

  8. #68
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    I don't think he's a franchise carrier regardless of who writes him. DC has only two franchise carriers -- Batman and Superman. Hal can carry a comic, but he can't sell any B comics that would revolve around his A comic. That approached has failed decisively.
    Green Lantern Corps sold well under Tomasi's run. I agree Hal is not as promotive as Batman or Superman. But he did well in selling B comics. The sells flop only after Venditti took over.

  9. #69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    This is ridiculous. There is no sure-fire, 100%, concrete way to ensure that something like the Green Lantern titles will turn into a constant top selling series indefinitely.

    Putting a top tier creative team on the series and moving it in a new direction, a notion rejected in the OP, hasn't served characters like Batman too badly in the past and is the nearest that you'll get to a best case scenario. The much lauded reboot idea (that's cropped up on many threads now) is no more of a problem solver than any of the other 'band-aid' solutions that have been disparaged on here. As we all know, comic book fans in general just can't enough reboots

    For a start, it would help the franchise if DC actually got around to focusing on it more. It's not been a priority for them for a couple of years now, certainly during Rebirth. The various GL titles and characters have had little interaction with and even less of an impact on the ongoing 'Rebirth/Doomsday Clock' narrative and are a bit of an afterthought because of that. This is frustrating for GL fans but won't be the case forever.
    There's a bit of a chicken-egg thing here with promotion. DC would only spend resources promoting GL if it could reasonably estimate that it will generate more sales. But GL sales are slipping because of a generally mediocre product. Maybe if GL steps up its game and produces something worth promoting, it will boost sales. But if it boosts sales, then it won't need promoting in the first place.

    There's one sure-fire way to to ensure GL sales keep on slipping.... and that's by standing by and doing nothing.
    Save Ferris...

  10. #70
    Astonishing Member Trey Strain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    4,956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    Green Lantern Corps sold well under Tomasi's run. I agree Hal is not as promotive as Batman or Superman. But he did well in selling B comics. The sells flop only after Venditti took over.
    You're right. And it was selling well at the end, even though it was a B title that was clearly designed to revolve around Hal's A title. I've never understood why they canceled it. That's one reason I think Guy could sell a space title that was untethered from whatever was happening in Hal's Earth-based comic -- in other words, an A comic.

    Later for B comics. They always fail.

  11. #71
    Astonishing Member Trey Strain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    4,956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    The Green Lantern series published on Thanagar has 13 Thanagarian Green Lanterns. They seem to be totally OK with it.
    It wasn't so long ago that most message board posters would go bonkers with outrage if you had the audacity to suggest that there should be more than one Earth Lantern.

    I'm OK with 3,600 Green Lanterns. Just not on Earth.

  12. #72
    Astonishing Member Trey Strain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    4,956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    This is ridiculous. There is no sure-fire, 100%, concrete way to ensure that something like the Green Lantern titles will turn into a constant top selling series indefinitely.

    Putting a top tier creative team on the series and moving it in a new direction, a notion rejected in the OP, hasn't served characters like Batman too badly in the past and is the nearest that you'll get to a best case scenario. The much lauded reboot idea (that's cropped up on many threads now) is no more of a problem solver than any of the other 'band-aid' solutions that have been disparaged on here. As we all know, comic book fans in general just can't enough reboots

    For a start, it would help the franchise if DC actually got around to focusing on it more. It's not been a priority for them for a couple of years now, certainly during Rebirth. The various GL titles and characters have had little interaction with and even less of an impact on the ongoing 'Rebirth/Doomsday Clock' narrative and are a bit of an afterthought because of that. This is frustrating for GL fans but won't be the case forever.
    If you write a television pilot, it's essential that you not have to write every episode, because that's impossible.

    The concept can't depend on you. Other people have to be able to write it too.

    The same thing applies to a comic. If one particular writer has to write it, then it's not a viable concept, and the concept needs to be changed.

    Many comics fans don't get that.

  13. #73
    Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Northwest UK
    Posts
    2,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AngryComicBookNerd View Post
    There's a bit of a chicken-egg thing here with promotion. DC would only spend resources promoting GL if it could reasonably estimate that it will generate more sales. But GL sales are slipping because of a generally mediocre product. Maybe if GL steps up its game and produces something worth promoting, it will boost sales. But if it boosts sales, then it won't need promoting in the first place.

    There's one sure-fire way to to ensure GL sales keep on slipping.... and that's by standing by and doing nothing.
    I've actually enjoyed both of the current Green Lantern titles. The early Venditti run seemed obsessed both with deconstructing lots of elements of Johns' run and focusing also on non stop crossover events that were bringing diminishing returns (that last one may well have been editorially mandated). Once Venditti got that out of his system and started just telling decent stories again the title improved immensely. I agree with you though. Both titles are creatively and commercially treading water really.

    What will happen here is that DC will keep the current status quo in place as long as possible, certainly until 'Doomsday Clock' is over and the DCU can move forward from there. Then there'll be some kind of creators summit meeting and plans made to move the series in a new direction and, hopefully, make it more of an essential purchase for DC readers in general. People seem to forget nowadays that it was a new creative team that did just that back in 2004.

  14. #74
    Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Northwest UK
    Posts
    2,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    If you write a television pilot, it's essential that you not have to write every episode, because that's impossible.

    The concept can't depend on you. Other people have to be able to write it too.

    The same thing applies to a comic. If one particular writer has to write it, then it's not a viable concept, and the concept needs to be changed.

    Many comics fans don't get that.
    I don't disagree with you there Trey.

    Let's say though that, by some miracle, you got your wish and DC unveiled plans to reboot the entire Green Lantern franchise. How long do you think it would be a top seller? Of course, there'd be an initial rush of hype but I reckon that within 18 months the sales would have drifted back down to mediocre levels. Your insistence that the series is terminal and needs a reboot to survive is way off to be honest. It's no less of a stop-gap solution than the others that you've decried on this and other threads.

    The series is currently treading water and needs to become essential reading for DC fans in general again. It's not in much different shape as it was in 2004, and we all know what happened then.

  15. #75
    Astonishing Member Trey Strain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    4,956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    I don't disagree with you there Trey.

    Let's say though that, by some miracle, you got your wish and DC unveiled plans to reboot the entire Green Lantern franchise. How long do you think it would be a top seller? Of course, there'd be an initial rush of hype but I reckon that within 18 months the sales would have drifted back down to mediocre levels. Your insistence that the series is terminal and needs a reboot to survive is way off to be honest. It's no less of a stop-gap solution than the others that you've decried on this and other threads.

    The series is currently treading water and needs to become essential reading for DC fans in general again. It's not in much different shape as it was in 2004, and we all know what happened then.
    Not at all. I don't agree that Hal can't sell an Earth-based title and Guy can't sell a space-based title. If they can't, and if it's all about who's writing them, then why are we even talking about Green Lantern? Just go ahead and junk the property because it's not worth the hassle.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •