Super Moderator

Default Tony Daniel Targets "Deathstroke" for New Ongoing

Writer/artist Tony Daniel tells CBR that Deathstroke's raised profile from "Injustice: Gods Among Us" and "Arrow" makes the time right for a new DC ongoing.

Full article here.

I haven't read a lot of New 52 material. I've pretty much skipped Deathstroke solo stuff. BUT McDaniel is a favorite so I am gonna be on board for this!!

I am hoping that at some point they will address his family, kids and such. If it has been addressed feel free to let me know but Ravager / Rose Wilson was a favorite of mine in the 'old' DCU and I would love to see daughter and daddy together at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    I haven't read a lot of New 52 material. I've pretty much skipped Deathstroke solo stuff. BUT McDaniel is a favorite so I am gonna be on board for this!!

I am hoping that at some point they will address his family, kids and such. If it has been addressed feel free to let me know but Ravager / Rose Wilson was a favorite of mine in the 'old' DCU and I would love to see daughter and daddy together at some point.
    It was addressed in Justin Jordan's short run right before cancellation.
    Favourites: Fables, Batman, Grayson, Hawkguy, Red Lanterns, Hawkguy vs Deadpool, Ms Marvel

It was addressed by three different people, with a kind of sorry ending;

Rose appeared in Superboy, Teen Titans, and the Ravagers, had some good moments, got out before Lobdell's work tanked, and was teased as a major feature of Superboy Annual, only to be replaced by H'El on Earth.

Grant Wilson was a major feature of Kyle Higgins first Deathstroke arc, and was built up to be a kind of antagonist/successor/sworn enemy/still family character, which was promising and engaging.

Then a new writer took over after Liefeld's run, had both kids and Jericho and Adelaide meet in some underground base, killed off Joe and Grant with the now patented Deathstroke-family-stab, and I don't quite remember what happened to the rest. Oh, and. I think Jericho was again made a villain.

Quite frankly, ignoring that last arc wouldn't be a bad idea.

I go hot and cold on Tony Daniel. Sometimes I think his art looks great and other times I think it's horrible. I do think Deathstroke is a perfect fit for his sensibilities; at his worst his art is overblown, excessively violent, and stupid, and none of those qualities are really going to feel out of place in a Deathstroke book. I do think his art has been complemented very well by Sandu Florea and especially the wonderful colors of Tomeu Morey, so I am glad they are on board.

Daniel typically writes dumb action stuff, and again, that's kind of what you expect with Deathstroke. Basically I feel that the worst possible outcome with this book would be exactly what you would expect for Deathstroke, and if the plotlines and action scenes are cool at all it's probably going to be really entertaining.

I dropped all my DC books due to being fed up with their house style art and overall dark & dreary tone, but I don't mind that stuff when it's appropriate for the character & property, as it is here.

Relating to the interview, I'm happy to hear Daniel isn't really bothering with the Suicide Squad stuff. Joker's Daughter is such a horrible character, like "worst DC character ever" bad. I guess a Harley Quinn guest appearance could be fun, but I don't think she really fits with the tone they're going for here either. In general I'm very happy to hear Daniel is just making up original characters as I think that's a better direction. I'm really not into the "let's bring in a different C-lister this character has some past history with every issue" approach as I think it's just really uninspired.
    Image: Saga, Chew, Southern Bastards, Deadly Class, Wayward, Umbral
    DC/Marvel: Batgirl, Catwoman, She-Hulk

I may skip this. I like Daniel's art a lot, but his writing isn't to my taste. And Kyle Higgins' and Justin Jordan's runs were each really good, I thought.

I'm on board for this and will follow it as long as interest/budget allows. Good character and Daniel's artwork is amazing. However, his writing is hit/miss for me so we'll see where it goes.

With the Expendables 3 coming out, I'm suddenly in the mood for something big, loud, and over the top comic wise. Plus I love me some Deathstroke. So I'm onboard for this, hoping it rocks, expecting little more than to be entertained.
    Bronze Age baby.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    I go hot and cold on Tony Daniel. Sometimes I think his art looks great and other times I think it's horrible. I do think Deathstroke is a perfect fit for his sensibilities; at his worst his art is overblown, excessively violent, and stupid, and none of those qualities are really going to feel out of place in a Deathstroke book. I do think his art has been complemented very well by Sandu Florea and especially the wonderful colors of Tomeu Morey, so I am glad they are on board.

Daniel typically writes dumb action stuff, and again, that's kind of what you expect with Deathstroke. Basically I feel that the worst possible outcome with this book would be exactly what you would expect for Deathstroke, and if the plotlines and action scenes are cool at all it's probably going to be really entertaining.

I dropped all my DC books due to being fed up with their house style art and overall dark & dreary tone, but I don't mind that stuff when it's appropriate for the character & property, as it is here.

Relating to the interview, I'm happy to hear Daniel isn't really bothering with the Suicide Squad stuff. Joker's Daughter is such a horrible character, like "worst DC character ever" bad. I guess a Harley Quinn guest appearance could be fun, but I don't think she really fits with the tone they're going for here either. In general I'm very happy to hear Daniel is just making up original characters as I think that's a better direction. I'm really not into the "let's bring in a different C-lister this character has some past history with every issue" approach as I think it's just really uninspired.
    He draws women beautifully and then his men end up with thighs each wider than the character's actual torso. And stubby hulk arms and wide faces and illogical capes.

I'm definitely checking this book out. I love Daniel's art and enjoyed his Batman run. Hopefully it'll be good.

I don't find Daniel's writing terrible, but it doesn't really get me excited for a project either. Still if any book/character could fit his "sensibilities," it's Deathstroke.

This book is a good fit for Daniel in the sense that I don't have interest in a Deathstroke book either way.

I'm definitely more interested in this now that Tony Daniel has said that crossovers with titles such as Suicide Squad are not planned. However, his editors may have other ideas about that. It remains to be seen. I'll be waiting to see reviews and future solicits before committing.

I love Deathstroke and he very much deserves a good solo book. He's one of the few DC characters that doesn't have Bat, Super, or Green in its name that could support his own book. He's had a lot of mainstream appearances lately and hopefully that will translate into some decent sales.
    Daniels art is pretty great but his writing leaves something to be desired. He needs to get off to a fast start because today's readers don't give a book many issues before they drop it. The first issue needs to be pretty epic.

I hope that we see Rose in the book, a PROPER version of her. New 52 Rose has been, what's the word, problematic thus far.