Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 255 of 378
  1. #241
    Formerly rsreed13 robreedwrites's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I wonder if a Miles Morales Spider-Man could possibly dethrone BP? Otherwise no superhero film debut will come even close. The comics division is lucky MCU is raking in the cash. It's definitely propping up the subpar comic sales.
    I think it's truthfully going to be awhile before another solo superhero film tops BP's domestic performance, especially if it's a debut.
    Reviews at Adventures in Poor Taste: http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/author/robert/
    I also write reviews for Newsarama

  2. #242

    Default

    Black Panther Beats A Wrinkle in Time for 4th Box Office Weekend Win

    BP is still box office champ. I remember the news saying A Wrinkle In Time had strong Friday numbers, but I guess word of mouth got around quick. 33 mil, with 6 mil foreign, and I expect its #2 slot to become #3 or lower when Tomb Raider opens next weekend.

    Seriously Marvel needs to move some things around asap for BP 2 and 3.

  3. #243
    Formerly rsreed13 robreedwrites's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Black Panther Beats A Wrinkle in Time for 4th Box Office Weekend Win

    BP is still box office champ. I remember the news saying A Wrinkle In Time had strong Friday numbers, but I guess word of mouth got around quick. 33 mil, with 6 mil foreign, and I expect its #2 slot to become #3 or lower when Tomb Raider opens next weekend.

    Seriously Marvel needs to move some things around asap for BP 2 and 3.
    I actually enjoyed A Wrinkle in Time (though it is a kids movie and therefore a bit cheesy/corny in places).

    But yeah, Black Panther becomes the first MCU film to keep the #1 spot 4 weekends in a row, and is only the 10th film to accomplish that feat since 2000.

    Seven Weeks
    Avatar (12/18/09)

    4 Weeks
    Meet the Parents (10/06/00)
    How the Grinch Stole Christmas (11/17/00)
    The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (12/17/03)
    The Dark Knight (7/18/08)
    The Hunger Games (3/23/12)
    Furious 7 (4/03/15)
    The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2 (11/20/15)
    Star Wars: The Force Awakens (12/18/15)
    Black Panther (2/16/18)

    Depending on how Black Panther holds next weekend, it has a decent chance at doing 5 consecutive #1 weekends in a row. I'd say we see a 40-45% drop for it, which puts it at $22.6m-$24.6m for the weekend. If A Wrinkle in Time falls 35%-50%, it'd land somewhere between $16.6m and $21.6m (the latter would be an unreal hold based off of reviews). The big question is Tomb Raider. The original film opened with $47m way back in 2001, but this was when the video game franchise was popular and Angelina Jolie was at the height of her star power. The 2003 sequel opened with $21m. I have a hard time believing this new film will open above $25m, as I don't think Alicia Vikander is even a name here in the states, and while the recent entry in the franchise was well received, I don't think the branding has too much power. We'll see.
    Reviews at Adventures in Poor Taste: http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/author/robert/
    I also write reviews for Newsarama

  4. #244
    Astonishing Member Arfguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robreedwrites View Post
    I actually enjoyed A Wrinkle in Time (though it is a kids movie and therefore a bit cheesy/corny in places).

    But yeah, Black Panther becomes the first MCU film to keep the #1 spot 4 weekends in a row, and is only the 10th film to accomplish that feat since 2000.

    Seven Weeks
    Avatar (12/18/09)

    4 Weeks
    Meet the Parents (10/06/00)
    How the Grinch Stole Christmas (11/17/00)
    The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (12/17/03)
    The Dark Knight (7/18/08)
    The Hunger Games (3/23/12)
    Furious 7 (4/03/15)
    The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2 (11/20/15)
    Star Wars: The Force Awakens (12/18/15)
    Black Panther (2/16/18)

    Depending on how Black Panther holds next weekend, it has a decent chance at doing 5 consecutive #1 weekends in a row. I'd say we see a 40-45% drop for it, which puts it at $22.6m-$24.6m for the weekend. If A Wrinkle in Time falls 35%-50%, it'd land somewhere between $16.6m and $21.6m (the latter would be an unreal hold based off of reviews). The big question is Tomb Raider. The original film opened with $47m way back in 2001, but this was when the video game franchise was popular and Angelina Jolie was at the height of her star power. The 2003 sequel opened with $21m. I have a hard time believing this new film will open above $25m, as I don't think Alicia Vikander is even a name here in the states, and while the recent entry in the franchise was well received, I don't think the branding has too much power. We'll see.
    I am thinking Warner Brothers is hoping that the Tomb Raider brand is enough to at least drive people to the movies and if the movie is good, it will be a strong performer?

    If the movie is pretty good, the box office returns could be strong. Assassin's Creed sounded like a pretty lousy movie, from what I heard. I still haven't seen it, despite it being available on Netflix. I guess when it comes to pretty good box office presence, Michael Fassbender would be considered a B-lister to the likes of Harrison Ford, Samuel L. Jackson, Robert Downey Jr. and Tom Cruise. Since the movie was awful, AC did not warrant enough box office attention. My guess is Warner Brothers are hoping Tomb Raider will succeed where a movie like Assassin's Creed failed.
    Previously: Deep_Sleeper. Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    Love the works of comic book artists - Stuart Immonen, Olivier Coipel, Kev Walker, Valerio Schiti, Esad Ribic, Jerome Opena and so many more great comic book artists

  5. #245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    What went right was an explosion of female moviegoers. Specifically Black women. In my showing they came DEEP. 3's and 4's and even a group of 5 (some rockin' some Panther T-shirts that looks sexy as hell on them!) and I saw it at the State Museum's IMAX. They had a story on CBS about the Harlem opening who had multiple concurrent showings, the footage of the lobby was live af! Wished I was there for it. All wanted to be part of opening weekend. Lots of African and foreign born moviegoers went too. Families came and they all dressed up. I saw a lot of older people, in their 50's and 60's, many of whom this was their first Marvel movie cause they don't come out for the umpteenth goddamned Spider-Man movie. My wife's sister who is 50+, knew I was into comics called asking me about one of the characters. Stuff like that doesn't happen. It also doesn't happen when it's a Rated-R comedy like Girls Trip that does extremely well.

    And of course the dudes went, the Marvel fans and that's Box office gold alone. Getting the rest of the movie going public pushed it WAAYY over the top and keep in mind they used cannon, these characters have been around and they worked.
    This might easily be about 10% of it. The message appeals to an African-American audience, and there are multiple strong female roles (the only comparable one is Wonder Woman) so a film with a male lead has wider reach.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandfall View Post
    A couple of factors.

    Marvel Brand
    Political statement
    Social representation
    Flawless PR
    A well polished word of mouth from critics
    Race Awareness.

    To think that this movie did so well when it is the same as the first Thor movie is absolutely stunning.
    I agree with some of your stated reasons it went well, but it isn't the first Thor. As others have pointed out, this gets into some deeper questions that make it an "important" movie to see in a way that doesn't apply to the typical superhero film.

    One additional factor is that they went with a bigger than usual production budget, so you had a pretty large cast. That made this film seem like an epic that stands out in comparison with other sci-fi/ superhero action movies.

    There are some similarities...
    - Rising stars hired to be the lead (Boseman did have a higher profile than Hemsworth)
    - Academy Award winners as the romantic interest/ female lead.
    - Academy Award winners as the mentor/ father figure (Anthony Hopkins and Forrest Whitaker)
    - A government agent from other Marvel films to tie the continuity together (Phil Coulson and Everett Ross)
    - Rising star as the key villain (Michael B Jordan did have a higher profile than Hiddleston)

    Black Panther has other interesting villains with M'Baku and Klaw.
    Shuri, Okoye and W'Kabi have more personality than the Warriors Three.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

  6. #246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    He is pretty much the antithesis of a wise cracking goofball.
    He's Marvel's coolest character by a mile. I'm wondering if he starts interacting with other Marvel characters across future films a la Stark given his newfound immense popularity.

  7. #247
    King of Wakanda Midvillian1322's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    5,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    He is pretty much the antithesis of a wise cracking goofball.
    Tchallas character was designed to come off as cool as possible in Civil War. Even his speech pattern is smooth and cool but most of the MCU heroes aren't wise cracking Goof balls. Steve,Tchalla,Bucky,Widow,Banner,Vision,Falcon,Wan da,Gamora... are funny at times but aren't goofy wise crackers... I rewatched Thor 3 and I don't think Thor is either. A lot of it is Situational. He's not making Puns and being silly in serious moments. He's actually the straight man but the movie is wacky and goofy fun so ppl say Thors silly now. Id argue he was in character the situations he was in were comedic and his reactions. But I didn't see him as out of character from the first 4 films he was in. And the elevator scene with Loki was the best Dramatic acting we got from Thor.

    But yea I got off point lol. Just saying that most of the MCU heroes aren't Wsecracking goofballs.

  8. #248
    Astonishing Member Arfguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,611

    Default

    Looks like BP is top 20 in all-time worldwide box office. The upcoming weekend should ensure that BP moves past the likes of Age of Extinction and Skyfall to move further up the top 20.
    Previously: Deep_Sleeper. Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    Love the works of comic book artists - Stuart Immonen, Olivier Coipel, Kev Walker, Valerio Schiti, Esad Ribic, Jerome Opena and so many more great comic book artists

  9. #249
    Death becomes you Osiris-Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    4,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    Looks like BP is top 20 in all-time worldwide box office. The upcoming weekend should ensure that BP moves past the likes of Age of Extinction and Skyfall to move further up the top 20.
    And that is despite the fact that Black Panther did terrible in China and Japan. Other recent MCU movies like Thor: Ragnarok, Dr. Strange, and Guardians of the Galaxy 2 made about twice as much in those countries.

  10. #250
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    And that is despite the fact that Black Panther did terrible in China and Japan. Other recent MCU movies like Thor: Ragnarok, Dr. Strange, and Guardians of the Galaxy 2 made about twice as much in those countries.
    According to these articles BP debuted pretty good in China. Opening bigger than Ragnarok and Dr. Strange.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...pening-1093677

    http://variety.com/2018/film/news/bl...ce-1202723579/
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 03-14-2018 at 10:32 AM.

  11. #251
    Astonishing Member Soubhagya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    3,030

    Default

    Are you sure about that? I checked it opened to about 67 million in China in its opening weekend topping it.

    Edit: Lol Cliffhanger was faster. And even better posted with a link.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 03-14-2018 at 10:20 AM.

  12. #252
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Are you sure about that? I checked it opened to about 67 million in China in its opening weekend topping it.

    Edit: Lol Cliffhanger was faster. And even better posted with a link.
    Yeah I was like "Did horrible in China? wait, what?" lol.

  13. #253
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Northeast US
    Posts
    12,806

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Yeah I was like "Did horrible in China? wait, what?" lol.
    exactly

    what?

    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...pening-1093677

    The Marvel Disney tentpole pulled in $66.5 million from Friday to Sunday, the market's fifth-biggest debut ever for a superhero title, according to Disney data. Throughout the weekend, Panther commanded an impressive 55 percent market share.

    The powerful China performance puts a final nail in the coffin for the pernicious myth that movies led by all-black casts can't perform well internationally, particularly in East Asia.

    Marvel tentpoles have consistently done big business in the Middle Kingdom, but Black Panther's $66.5 million opening haul far exceeded similar character-launch titles, including Guardians of the Galaxy ($30 million), Ant-Man ($42.8 million) and Doctor Strange ($43.6 million). It also beat all of the Thor films and each of the Captain America movies except for Civil War ($93.6 million).

  14. #254
    King of Wakanda Midvillian1322's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    5,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Are you sure about that? I checked it opened to about 67 million in China in its opening weekend topping it.

    Edit: Lol Cliffhanger was faster. And even better posted with a link.
    Double toasted did a podcast talking about reviews from Chinese critics and it sounded like they weren't fond of how black the movie was. Anyone know if there's is any truth too that or did they just see a couple racist reviews and act like that was the consensus amongstChinese critics? I wouldn't even know where to begin looking for China critics. The movie did have posters over there with Tchallas mask on instead of off like ours. So I'm curious what the reviews were like but the fact it did that well in China is still enouraging to me tjough.

  15. #255
    Rebel that Rebels BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    6,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Double toasted did a podcast talking about reviews from Chinese critics and it sounded like they weren't fond of how black the movie was. Anyone know if there's is any truth too that or did they just see a couple racist reviews and act like that was the consensus amongstChinese critics? I wouldn't even know where to begin looking for China critics. The movie did have posters over there with Tchallas mask on instead of off like ours. So I'm curious what the reviews were like but the fact it did that well in China is still enouraging to me tjough.
    China still thinks blackface is cool, so I wouldn't be surprised.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •