Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Rai (Plus Edition), #1

Valiant delivers another new comic book in the form of "Rai" #1, courtesy of mind-numbing artwork from Clayton Crain to match the energetic tale from Matt Kindt.

Full review here.

I loved this issue and I'm glad it's getting such positive reviews.
    It's also great to see Crain illustrating comics again. Feels like forever since he did interiors.
    DIS GUY MUST BE A ALIEN OR SUTIN - gerybaboona

One thing I didn't like about this book was the lettering. It felt a little weird, like it was too large, or something. I think the word bubbles clashed with Crain's art. Or something.

What a fantastic book! THIS is the return Valiant fans have been waiting for since Valiant came back, and NOBODY will be disappointed. The art, the story......It is a complete package. And then the added pages for the "Plus" edition help flesh out this world which will engage all of us with its wonder for years to come. This is the perfect creative team for this property and it demonstrates that Valiant, going into its third year, is only getting better and shows no signs of slowing down in the creativity department. Great job Dinesh and company!

I just finished reading the "plus edition," and I will tell you the regular edition will be just fine. If you can easily get the plus edition, go ahead, but the only part of the plus edition that makes it worthwhile is the map of Japan drawn by Kindt. The two other stories just show that Japan 4001 has a couple of propaganda shows on TV. One is about tough-guy patriotic hero and the other is about a kid that goes to Earth and dies every episode. The latter is meant to make the kids not want to visit Earth.

The actual story itself is very intriguing and the art is nive to look at. I recommend picking it up. You'll probably want to get the next one too, to find out what happens. #1 ends on a cliffhanger as expected. All characters are mysterious, especially Rai himself.

I think the book does a Great job for an initial issue. It gives you just enough world building, underlying conflict and characters to really get things going. I was pretty pleased with this.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

I was a bit disappointed with this. It seems interesting and is heading an interesting direction as well, but it felt like it was doing way too much in too little of time. It felt bloated and it felt awkward at points to read. It definitely needs some more work in my humble opinion.

One of my points on the old forum was that there's a lot of world-building going on, like that's the most important aspect for the first issue. Maybe more development in #2.

I also remarked how the girl's POV setting up Rai reminded me a lot of Dark Horse's X reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by thewarning View Post
    One of my points on the old forum was that there's a lot of world-building going on, like that's the most important aspect for the first issue. Maybe more development in #2.

I also remarked how the girl's POV setting up Rai reminded me a lot of Dark Horse's X reboot.
    Don't forget that's also how he wrote the opening issue to Unity which is kinda weird since that book is only a couple months old.
    DIS GUY MUST BE A ALIEN OR SUTIN - gerybaboona

I just finished reading it. Thought it was lackluster. Besides the pretty art, there is absolutly nothing for me that makes me want to buy #2. Way too much dialogues about nothing interesting, doesn't spend enough time on the main character and besides the main character, I didn't care about any other neither... Won't be following this one.

Quote Originally Posted by harashkupo View Post
    Don't forget that's also how he wrote the opening issue to Unity which is kinda weird since that book is only a couple months old.
    Ha! Totally forgot about that. Good catch, damn you.

And I have to say, for all of this gushing over Crain's art, it was too painterly, and not at all kinetic. For instance, I had to turn the page back when Rai gets smacked overboard. Don't get me wrong, Crain's art is great, but not always as clear as it ought to be.

This is a flawed, but potentially very fascinating, book. Looking forward to seeing what the next issue brings.

I really wanted to pick this up and I'm regretting not getting it. The LCS had one issue of each cover and they might be all gone now. If not I'll try to squeeze this in on my next trip.

i liked it. some interesting concepts throughout. art was great.

looking forward to #2.