Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 358
  1. #61
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,176

    Default

    Honestly, it just kind of makes me wish Hyperion had worked out. However, I may give this a shot. I typically love Lemire, but Lemire and crazy after his Moon Knight run? I might wait for the reviews.

  2. #62
    Mighty Member King_Thor13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,418

    Default

    I appreciate we're getting something actually fresh rather than just rotating creative teams & characters and sticking the 'fresh start' label on them. I didn't see this coming. To be honest, I didn't think Sentry was popular enough to warrant an ongoing series. Hell, when he was brought back in the most recent Doctor Strange run, I thought he'd be put on a team book at best. A shame I've never really liked Sentry much.

    It'll be interesting to see who the supporting cast is. Obviously the Void. Maybe Voyager as another retconned Avenger (assuming she makes it out of No Surrender)? Ares would be interesting given the Void literally tore him in half last time they met. Hyperion and/or Blue Marvel showing up could be interesting; given they could be powerful allies but are also fully capable of combatting the Void if necessary. I do wish one of them had gotten the solo, though I think as a one-shot or mini-series, as it's very hard to maintain a solo title in the current comic climate.

    Antagonists will be hard to establish too. While the Void counter-ego is a big enough challenge in itself, I think having all those powers and not being able to showcase them would be a waste. Powerhouses like Maestro could rival Sentry's power, so those are the types of villains I'd wanna see. Maybe Moonstone given their history as Dark Avengers.

  3. #63
    Invincible Member XPac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    21,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by King_Thor13 View Post
    I appreciate we're getting something actually fresh rather than just rotating creative teams & characters and sticking the 'fresh start' label on them. I didn't see this coming. To be honest, I didn't think Sentry was popular enough to warrant an ongoing series. Hell, when he was brought back in the most recent Doctor Strange run, I thought he'd be put on a team book at best. A shame I've never really liked Sentry much.

    It'll be interesting to see who the supporting cast is. Obviously the Void. Maybe Voyager as another retconned Avenger (assuming she makes it out of No Surrender)? Ares would be interesting given the Void literally tore him in half last time they met. Hyperion and/or Blue Marvel showing up could be interesting; given they could be powerful allies but are also fully capable of combatting the Void if necessary. I do wish one of them had gotten the solo, though I think as a one-shot or mini-series, as it's very hard to maintain a solo title in the current comic climate.

    Antagonists will be hard to establish too. While the Void counter-ego is a big enough challenge in itself, I think having all those powers and not being able to showcase them would be a waste. Powerhouses like Maestro could rival Sentry's power, so those are the types of villains I'd wanna see. Maybe Moonstone given their history as Dark Avengers.
    I'd actually like it if Moon Knight was at least a semi-regular guest star. They have a bit of history together, and an insane version of the Worlds Finest is kinda fun.

  4. #64
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,899

    Default

    Snarkiness aside I'm very intrigued by this book, and while I'm glad it's here, I'm conflicted if I wanna pick it up. On one hand, that is one hell of a creative team. Jacinto is a bad ass, and while I haven't enjoyed every Lemiere book, I'd be hard pressed to find one I call bad.

    However... I've never really cared for Sentry haha. I don't get why people always say he's a Superman knockoff. Like, yeah, they have similar powers, but I don't ever remember Superman ripping a dude in half and tossing him into space.

  5. #65
    Extraordinary Member Tendrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,843

    Default

    I'm positively thrilled. I can safely say I did not expect 'Sentry ongoing'. I expected he'd just vanish into the ether again until another writer had a spot to begin developing him.

    I've said before that the Sentry actually needed an on-going and one of the big mistakes initially made with the character was not letting Jenkins' second mini be an on-going. We can see that in the massive underdevelopment of the character. Compound this with Bendis making a massive mess of things over the years with him and writing mental illness poorly (and not many people are actually good at writing the dfisorders Bob has in the first place) and you have a recipe for resentment and disaster.

    While Sentry playfully lampshaded some Superman tropes, the idea that he's just 'a superman knock off' is just incredibly wrong.

    As for sales, Doctor Strange sales jumped with his reintroduction, so we'll have to see. I'm not super hopeful but it's important to note that his second mini commanded pretty solid sales.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 03-06-2018 at 07:09 PM.

  6. #66
    Mighty Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1,534

    Default

    I'm interested. This is the first ongoing annoucement from Fresh Start that actually feels like a fresh start and not just the same old characters getting ongoing books everyone already knew were going to happen.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 03-06-2018 at 07:34 PM.

  7. #67
    Extraordinary Member Tendrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,843

    Default

    I mean I did wonder why they brought him back out of nowhere.

  8. #68
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    12,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I mean I did wonder why they brought him back out of nowhere.
    I can only imagine Lemire brought them a pitch that won them over. It's not like Sentry is a cash cow character.

  9. #69
    Extraordinary Member Tendrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,843

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I can only imagine Lemire brought them a pitch that won them over. It's not like Sentry is a cash cow character.
    In all fairness, who really is? Aside from the obvious MCU characters.

  10. #70
    Incredible Member Ra-El's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    838

    Default

    How funny is that Lemire will write the Sentry, that is kind of similar with Superman at the same time he is doing The Terrifics at DC, that is kind of a Fantastic Four?

  11. #71
    Death of Time Cronus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    The Wild West
    Posts
    329

    Default

    Honestly, I'd would looove to see a writer attempt to make any sense out of his powers and how the actually operate. But yeah, dude's pretty powerful. I'll be checking this out.

  12. #72
    Fantastic Member danielsan52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    402

    Default

    Bring Scout back. Repowered.

  13. #73
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    612

    Default

    Only really liked Sentry in that first mini-series by Jenkins. Which I found entertaining and interesting. Oh and he was pretty awesome in WWH. Those are the only times I've found him heroic (besides Siege where he regained control long enough to beg Thor to kill him.) Did not see a series coming. I'll probably check it out, though.

    The thing with Sentry is that he is still a blank slate. People say he is a rip off of Superman. But he doesn't exhibit the same qualities as him. Superman has immense power and puts it to good use in order to help humanity. The Sentry is powerful, but the guy is constantly trying to avoid using those abilities. Because he doesn't want to lose control or fall prey to The Void. Nevertheless, he steps up when needed despite those fears. Thats the definition of heroism to me.

    The character is in need of rehabilitation. His prior actions (the murderous ones) are something that can easily be waved away as actions influenced/caused by The Void.

  14. #74
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    38

    Default

    big sentry fan here. thank you very much marvel for bringing him back....and thank goodness bendis is nowhere near this. all that garbage he brought to this character...

  15. #75
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    That's good news. First character from Fresh Start that I want to read about in a solo.
    Let's see what Lemire can do with him.
    this. all this

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •