Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 69
  1. #16
    the devil's reject choptop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    The worst film adaptation of a good book may have been Mike Myers' "The Cat in the Hat."

    Peter Jackson's Hobbit movies were wretched adaptations of the book, though they might have been enjoyable to someone who had never read it.
    I never did get the hate of the Hobbit movies I read the book before I saw the movie and it's basically just the book + a bunch if add ons is it perfect god no but it's far from the worst movie I've seen.

  2. #17
    Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I never did get the hate of the Hobbit movies I read the book before I saw the movie and it's basically just the book + a bunch if add ons is it perfect god no but it's far from the worst movie I've seen.
    The add-ons are all tonally so OFF from the rest of the story that it's just jarring as hell. (I still have nightmares about Radagast's stupid Bunny Sleigh.) It's like the additions were written by someone who had never read the book at all. Granted, the book is pretty much a children's book and Jackson wanted the tone to match that of the LotR movies... I just think he did a terrible job of it.

    Like I said, it's probably not a bad fantasy movie trilogy if you've never read the book. But I did read the book... I remember my father reading it to me before I could even read myself. I remember looking at his copy of the book with the maps and the illustrations by Tolkien, and it was then that I became a lifelong fantasy fan.

    Terrible adaptation of the book... whether they're decent as standalone fantasy movies is a judgment someone other than I will have to make.

    I did like the opening scene with the dwarves at Bag End. Bag End as depicted in Jackson's movies is near the top of my list of fictional houses I'd like to live in. If I were three feet tall, of course.

  3. #18
    Fantastic Member Red Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    492

    Default

    Most films based on Stephen King's books and stories were unwatchable. Needful Things, Pet Cemetery, IT, Maximum Overdrive, Children of the Corn. the list goes on.
    When you lose the rhythm of the drumbeat of god, you are lost from the peace and rhythm of life.

  4. #19
    Astonishing Member Soubhagya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    3,034

    Default

    Pretty much every Harry Potter film except one is worse then the book. Even though all of them are good films. Only the last film is where i think i am unsure. Someday i think the book is better. Others the film.

    I will say World War Z counts. I haven't watched it but have heard good things about it. But the book was simply too good.

    Same is with the the two Percy Jackson films. The books while not very good were fun to read. I enjoyed the first film. But i thought the book was better. I have heard the second film is not as good as the first.

  5. #20
    Mighty Member ChrisIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,794

    Default

    I think some of the James Bond movies can count (Although some actually improved on their source material, such as "Goldfinger") certainly "Moonraker" (although elements of the novel's plot did eventually make their way into Goldeneye and Die Another Day). While "You Only Live Twice" resembles the novel in a few ways-Bond's tour in Japan under Tanaka (and in the book, Henderson) mainly, it kind of lacked the third act which had a final showdown between Bond and Blofeld with him getting revenge for Tracy (The novel is set after OHMSS on Fleming's timeline). It ends with Bond presumed dead, but actually amnesiac and living with Kissy (Which "Skyfall" kind of used). I was actually hoping that Bond 25 would go for a similar tact, with Bond facing Blofeld after perhaps after killing Madeline; but with Waltz not reprising his role it doesn't seem like that will happen.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

    https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

  6. #21
    Mighty Member Jekyll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,419

    Default

    Eragon was a great book series and the film was absolutely terrible. Thankfully the film did so awful they never got the chance to butcher any of the other films.

    If we can add in Television series the Dresden Files did not come close to living up to the source material.
    Last edited by Jekyll; 03-14-2018 at 05:46 AM.

  7. #22
    The Nature Boy AnakinFlair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Saint Ann, MO
    Posts
    1,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    No, I haven't seen either. I'm not sure that the 'The Shining' mini-series has actually been broadcast here in the UK. Although I could be wrong about that.

    I've heard it's a lot more faithful to the original book. If so, I'm pretty sure that the reason for that is the longer run-time. Perhaps you can tell me about that?

    That's my main bug-bear with King movies. I'm not nave enough to believe that a novel can be faithfully replicated on screen over a couple of hours runtime, but the King adaptations often leave so much detail out that to me they're deeply unsatisfying. Of course, if other people enjoy them then I'm glad for them.

    I've heard good things about 'IT' though. I think that effectively splitting the novel into two halves (the original film and it's upcoming sequel) is a really good idea. Thing is, I've got a version of that story permanently in my head through the novel and I doubt that a movie could ever be as good as that to me. Did you like it?
    Okay, is the mini-series more faithfull to the book? Absolutely. Stephen King wrote the screenplay, executive produced it, and was probably on the set directing it with Mick Garris. Was it GOOD? Well, it was three nights on ABC after Disney bought them. Jack went around hitting people with an over-sized croquet mallet (no, I'm not kidding). The makeup effects on the ghosts were terrible. Danny got attacked by CGI hedge animals- and remember, this was late 90's CGI. I enjoyed it for it's camp value, but I haven't watched it in its' entirety since it first aired. I do know it's available on Netflix (not sure if on streaming, though).

    I haven't watched It yet- I'll probably do that this weekend. But everyone I've talked to and all the buzz I've heard is that it's really good.

  8. #23
    The Nature Boy AnakinFlair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Saint Ann, MO
    Posts
    1,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    The Prisoner of Azkaban
    I always like Prisoner of Azkaban, though it had it's faults. Like the fact that Daniel Radcliff didn't learn how to emote properly until Goblet of Fire (that crying scene... ugh).

    I think that Order of the Phoenix was the weakest of the movies, in my opinion.

  9. #24
    The Nature Boy AnakinFlair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Saint Ann, MO
    Posts
    1,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    The add-ons are all tonally so OFF from the rest of the story that it's just jarring as hell. (I still have nightmares about Radagast's stupid Bunny Sleigh.) It's like the additions were written by someone who had never read the book at all. Granted, the book is pretty much a children's book and Jackson wanted the tone to match that of the LotR movies... I just think he did a terrible job of it.

    Like I said, it's probably not a bad fantasy movie trilogy if you've never read the book. But I did read the book... I remember my father reading it to me before I could even read myself. I remember looking at his copy of the book with the maps and the illustrations by Tolkien, and it was then that I became a lifelong fantasy fan.

    Terrible adaptation of the book... whether they're decent as standalone fantasy movies is a judgment someone other than I will have to make.

    I did like the opening scene with the dwarves at Bag End. Bag End as depicted in Jackson's movies is near the top of my list of fictional houses I'd like to live in. If I were three feet tall, of course.
    As I never read the book, I enjoyed the movies (though I do agree it was ridiculous to extend a 300 page book into 3 2+ hour movies. And that opening scene with the dwarves- as I never read the book, that was jarring as hell to me. I was like "When did go into a musical?!"

    Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    Eragon was a great book series and the film was absolutely terrible. Thankfully the film did so awful they never got the chance to butcher any of the other films.

    Wow, can't go with you on that. I thought the movie was... fine, I guess. But I tried to read the novel, and I've read better fanfiction that that. Hell, I've WRITTEN better fanfiction than that. Terrible, just terrible.

  10. #25
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Okay, is the mini-series more faithfull to the book? Absolutely. Stephen King wrote the screenplay, executive produced it, and was probably on the set directing it with Mick Garris. Was it GOOD? Well, it was three nights on ABC after Disney bought them. Jack went around hitting people with an over-sized croquet mallet (no, I'm not kidding). The makeup effects on the ghosts were terrible. Danny got attacked by CGI hedge animals- and remember, this was late 90's CGI. I enjoyed it for it's camp value, but I haven't watched it in its' entirety since it first aired. I do know it's available on Netflix (not sure if on streaming, though).

    I haven't watched It yet- I'll probably do that this weekend. But everyone I've talked to and all the buzz I've heard is that it's really good.
    That's pretty much what he did in the book isn't it?

  11. #26
    Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    As I never read the book, I enjoyed the movies (though I do agree it was ridiculous to extend a 300 page book into 3 2+ hour movies. And that opening scene with the dwarves- as I never read the book, that was jarring as hell to me. I was like "When did go into a musical?!"
    The music was actually in the book. Tolkien had a whole bunch of songs and poems in it.

    If you ever see the Rankin-Bass animated version from the 70's, it's actually a much more faithful adaptation of the book... keeping it essentially as a children's story. It had most of Tolkien's songs in it.

    I actually enjoyed it far more than the Jackson version, even though it was made for probably less money than Jackson spent on the credits crawl.

  12. #27
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,041

    Default

    World War Z is a shadow of its book self.

    Most adaptations of Dracula. I was surprised how much I enjoyed the original novel.

    I never got the praise for the Prisoner of Azkaban movie, especially compared to the Chamber of Secrets, which I thought was a great adaptations. It's slow paced and then rushes through the one scene that should have been slowed down, the scene where the big revelation happens. I really don't like the Dumbledore replacement. And the changes that people praise so much, like having the kids where muggle clothes, take away from the sense of wonder and in the long run will only date the film. Goblet of Fire also cuts so much out it feels like half a movie even more than the 2 last movies.

  13. #28
    Mighty Member Qwerty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,669

    Default

    The prestige and the Indian in the cupboard come to mind
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

    Matt "peace out suckas"

  14. #29
    Mighty Member Qwerty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,669

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I always like Prisoner of Azkaban, though it had it's faults. Like the fact that Daniel Radcliff didn't learn how to emote properly until Goblet of Fire (that crying scene... ugh).

    I think that Order of the Phoenix was the weakest of the movies, in my opinion.
    Order of the phoenix is the best in my opinion
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

    Matt "peace out suckas"

  15. #30
    Astonishing Member Powerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,605

    Default

    If anybody asks me what my favorite version of "Planet of the Apes" is, I always say "The original novel by Pierre Boulle". The 1968 movie followed the outline of the novel but didn't begin to capture it's social commentary.
    Superman was a beacon to the world.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •