Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Axel-In-Charge: In-Depth on "Avengers NOW!" and New Takes on Captain America, Thor and Iron Man

Marvel has announced a female Thor, a black Captain America and a "Superior" Iron Man, and Axel Alonso talks in detail about the Avengers NOW! Changes.

Full article here.

That Spider-Man page looks very interesting
    Pull List keeps shrinking

I'm interested in a lot of this Avengers Now! stuff, and even some of the other stuff they were talking about with the X-men, but it there was anything that Trudy had my attention it was the image of Spiderman kissing Silk. Seriously, what the heck is going?
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

ASM previews are woah. Silk and Spidey hooking up?

If they're including Inhumans as part of Avengers Now then they need to make that book ship regularly. Stegman being on it after 3 will help but already a lot of lost sales to be made up for.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Trudy had my attention it was the image of Spiderman
    I suspect this image may spoil more than they intended to spoil. spoilers:
    I mean, apparently Spidey not only is aware who Silk is, but before he forgot about her they were quite intimate with each other. Or not. Could be that the context of this scene is completely different, but a surprise factor is gone.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Celestin; 07-18-2014 at 04:03 PM.

BANNED

"Look, whether we own the media rights to a character informs so little of what we do in editorial. Our job -- my job -- is to tell stories that sell comics. And we want all our comics to sell. To the whole society of fans that think that we're trying to bury or kill the X-Men, that's just plain crazy. [Laughs] There's a reason that Brian Michael Bendis is writing "All-New X-Men." There's a reason we're doing "Death of Wolverine," and promoting the hell out of it. Because we want them to sell."

lol okay, Axel.

I usually don't pity fans of overexposed characters, but this time I feel bad for Iron Man fans.
    I didn't think Marvel could make him a worse douchebag than he was during Civil War.

(A previous page of this preview was removed at the request of Marvel.)
    Appears that I was right about Spider spoiler. Edited my previous post.

Trying to push all these stupid stunts (motivated for either hype, or PC, or both) be it black cap, she-thor, evil iron-man, dead wolverine, inhuman avengers, etc. as some sort of legitimate desire to tell stories comes off as embarrassing.

I keep hearing that they have no exit plan for Wolverine's death, and now Sam Wilson as Cap; then I remember that Public Identity Spider-Man was supposed to be "permanent," too.

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    I usually don't pity fans of overexposed characters, but this time I feel bad for Iron Man fans.
    I didn't think Marvel could make him a worse douchebag than he was during Civil War.
    At least this time the dickishness might not be of his own free will. The previews have said he gets an EXTREMIS upgrade so maybe it messes with his personality.

A personal theory of mine is that Red Skull erases Tony's conscience with Xaiver's powers.

Good thing they went in a different direction...

At my very first summit as Marvel editor-in-chief, the one that birthed "Avengers vs. X-Men," we seriously considered a plot twist that would have killed the Avengers -- taking them completely off the table.

Not to spoil anything, but how long term is the thinking for all of this? It's positioned as a major initiative, with mainstream promotional pushes out the gate. It certainly seems like something Marvel has a lot of confidence in, and is putting a lot of thought and effort behind. Is it fair to say that we won't see, say, Steve Rogers back as Cap in a few months?

Alonso: Each plan is different. In the case of "All-New Captain America," I will say that there is no exit plan. In the case of "Thor," Jason has a long-term plan, but any time I ask about the specifics of the exit plan, he runs out of the room. That said, I think this female Thor is going to stick; if anything, we're going to find ourselves in a quandary like the one we faced with Superior Spider-Man and Bucky as Captain America. Fans may very well respond to this character strongly enough that we won't be incentivized to think of way to put things back the way they were.
    So all those statements and interviews by both Alonso and Aaron saying they have no exit plan and how this is permanent when they announced female Thor were flat out lies, as if it wasn't already obvious.

There's a reason we're doing "Death of Wolverine," and promoting the hell out of it. Because we want them to sell. It's important that we maintain and grow the popularity of characters that are already popular,
    ...by killing them and not having them appear in any books for a prolonged period of time.

Yeah his arguments don't really make sense there.