Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 303637383940
Results 586 to 597 of 597
  1. #586
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Endsong View Post
    So.... Who Is Troia? is happening now, like I thought it would. Hopes/fears?
    My hopes would be for a simple, logical explanation and a very close relationship between Donna and Queen Hippolyta, Diana and the Amazons. Ideally, it would be as basic as possible - Donna is the sole survivor of a shipwreck, washed up on the shores of Themyscira and was adopted by Queen Hippolyta and become Diana's younger sister. Amazon training and maybe some Amazon technology or magical weapons give Donna super-powers to rival Diana (although maybe not quite as powerful). A future storyline could explain that Donna was saved from drowning / dying and guided to Themyscira by the Titans because they sensed some cosmic destiny for her as a future hero and sought to ensure she received the best training available to achieve that goal. I know all of that doesn't fit with Rebirth, but I'd be happy for them to do some hand waving to make it fit with Rebirth.

    My fears would be that Donna receives yet another convoluted, overly complicated and unnecessarily ridiculous origin story which will be rebooted yet again at some point in the future. And that her ridiculous origin story somehow turns her into a man-hating, blood-thirsty, irrational, aggravating character who has no close ties with Diana, Queen Hippolyta or the Amazons. And that she's forced to run around in some kind of skimpy bathing suit costume with high heels and dramatic cleavage while constantly carrying a sword which she uses to cleave the heads off her enemies.

  2. #587
    Ultimate Member Assam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    7,506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    My fears would be that Donna receives yet another convoluted, overly complicated and unnecessarily ridiculous origin story which will be rebooted yet again at some point in the future. And that her ridiculous origin story somehow turns her into a man-hating, blood-thirsty, irrational, aggravating character who has no close ties with Diana, Queen Hippolyta or the Amazons. And that she's forced to run around in some kind of skimpy bathing suit costume with high heels and dramatic cleavage while constantly carrying a sword which she uses to cleave the heads off her enemies.
    argent donna.jpg

    Maybe one day this question will have a satisfying answer, but I don't think it's in sight.
    World's Biggest Cassandra Cain Fan

    "Don't we at the very least deserve the right to exist?" - Doctor 13: Architecture and Morality

  3. #588

    Default

    Okay, here's mine, in brief. It's a happy mash-up. It may not fit in with the current "Diana spent the first 5-10 years of her superhero career believing completely false things about her past/Nobody can go to Themysicra" status quo, but since I don't think those are good for Diana anyway (especially the first part, and I don't expect the second part to last), I won't worry.

    While still living on Themysicra, before becoming Wonder Woman, Diana uses the Mirror of Troy - a powerful and unpredictable magical artifact in the Amazon's treasure store - to rescue a young girl from a burning house in Man's World and bring her to the island. She lives there for several years before returning to Man's World. A number of goddesses, who witnessed her bravery and kindness while she was on Themyscira, grant her supernatural abilities so she can assist Wonder Woman in her heroic efforts, and become a hero in her own right.

    My longer version explains all those details, and also explains how she got the name Donna Troy, involves one of the Titan goddesses (Selene, specifically), why she later chooses the name Darkstar (or Dark Angel, or Dark Opal, depending on taste), and more.
    Doctor Bifrost

    "If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

  4. #589
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Chamblee, GA
    Posts
    672

    Default

    My hope would be an origin for Donna that is NOT closely tied to Diana. That way in the future when Diana’s origin changes for the umpteenth time, Donna won’t be collateral damage. My preference would be a Titans of Myth origin for Donna with those Titans putting Donna in the Amazons care when she was entering her teens. The Titans did things to Donna's memories during the hand-off (maybe even the Amazons' memories as well) and that led to later repercussions.

  5. #590
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamgut View Post
    My hope would be an origin for Donna that is NOT closely tied to Diana. That way in the future when Diana’s origin changes for the umpteenth time, Donna won’t be collateral damage. My preference would be a Titans of Myth origin for Donna with those Titans putting Donna in the Amazons care when she was entering her teens. The Titans did things to Donna's memories during the hand-off (maybe even the Amazons' memories as well) and that led to later repercussions.
    Do you think the various Batman or Superman family members should be delinked/distanced from their main characters? All the trouble Donna's been through since the original post-crisis era could ultimately be said to originate from them not really considering her part of Wonder Woman. She really shouldn't be in a position to end up as collateral damage from Diana getting a origin retelling/reboot. In fact every retelling/reboot they've had would of been a good chance to fix her yet they keep passing them up for some reason. Her original origin doesn't need to be changed that much or thrown out. Somehow a young orphaned girl, Donna Troy, ends up on Themyscira and is found by Diana and her mother Hippolyta. Hippolyta adopts the girl as her daughter and Diana's younger sister. Later after Diana becomes Wonder Woman and leaves the island, Donna likewise follows after her older sister and becomes Wonder Girl. You can put different spins on this and modify it. She could simply shipwreck on the island or be brought there by a goddess, titan, or even another amazon. There are plenty of ways to justify her getting enhanced powers close to Diana's level. The only modification to Diana's origin that needs to be made is to remember Diana should have a younger sister. Have Donna sit next to Hippolyta watching the contest. Maybe have some nice scenes of Diana talking to Donna about wanting to leave the island. It seems ridiculous that it seems nobody at DC wants to do this.

  6. #591
    Fantastic Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    428

    Default

    What is so hard about making this an origin for Donna? (Or Cassie)



    The girl here is even a blonde, and her name is Cassie too. It seems so simple...with some minor tweaking, I don't see why this can't work for either of them.

  7. #592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Swordsman View Post
    What is so hard about making this an origin for Donna? (Or Cassie)



    The girl here is even a blonde, and her name is Cassie too. It seems so simple...with some minor tweaking, I don't see why this can't work for either of them.
    I'm not sure how this is an origin for a kid superhero.
    Doctor Bifrost

    "If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

  8. #593
    Fantastic Member TheSupernaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Twin Peaks
    Posts
    445

    Default

    I've always had this fanfictiony idea that Donna could be the daughter of Izaya and Hippolyta. A retcon of those 2 having a love affair could have happened during a past battle with Darkseid. Like I said fanfictiony. But in a way it would make Donna and Diana equals with the potential of a distinct powerset.

  9. #594
    The Comixeur Mel Dyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,295

    Default

    You know...when you cut out all of the Star Trek elements from "Who Is Wonder Girl?", you have a very nice, simple, somewhat cliched story about the Titans of Myth saving children from disasters and training them to be superheroes. We really didn't need much more, than that to fix Donna's post-Crisis origin problem.

    I think Donna's personality makes her a great prospect to be the Wonder Woman of a small town or city, as Nightwing is to Bludhaven. That's what she needs.
    FINALLY! The greatest comic book movie, ever made... The ORIGIN of the GOLDEN AGE WONDER BOY!

  10. #595
    Fantastic Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    I'm not sure how this is an origin for a kid superhero.
    Saving a kid from a natural disaster and being inspired by the heroine...what's hard to get about that? It's tantamount to Diana rescuing Donna from the burning building.

  11. #596

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Swordsman View Post
    Saving a kid from a natural disaster and being inspired by the heroine...what's hard to get about that? It's tantamount to Diana rescuing Donna from the burning building.
    The Donna Troy I know is a little bit more than "inspired by a brief encounter when a superhero rescues her." She has superpowers. She is raised and trained by Amazons, or their equivalent. In the best versions, in my opinion, she is adopted by Hippolyta and Diana is her "older sister" - but here she's already got a mom. I don't see how this standard superhero rescue leads to this girl becoming Wonder Girl.

    But that's just me.
    Doctor Bifrost

    "If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

  12. #597
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    The Donna Troy I know is a little bit more than "inspired by a brief encounter when a superhero rescues her." She has superpowers. She is raised and trained by Amazons, or their equivalent. In the best versions, in my opinion, she is adopted by Hippolyta and Diana is her "older sister" - but here she's already got a mom. I don't see how this standard superhero rescue leads to this girl becoming Wonder Girl.

    But that's just me.
    I couldn't agree more. I think having the Titans as part of her origins is a way to explain those powers, separate her a bit from Diana and give her a bit of uniqueness. I think the Titans annual pointed out something that has plagued the character since Crisis: the missing Diana/Donna connection. The nu52 origin gave Donna Diana's old clay origin but, did little to solve the sisterly bond or make any real connection between the two, other than potential adversaries. Sadly, the same goes for Cassie: no real connection. Bats can have a gazillion Robins but, WW can't have a single mentee?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •