Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45
  1. #1
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    227

    Default Stuff from the old expanded universe you wish was back into continuity

    Was wondering what cool concepts from the old expanded universe could be integrated with good results into the disney continuity.

  2. #2
    Ultimate Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14,044

    Default

    Only thing I truly miss is Mara. Granted its not the only thing I liked about the original EU. I grew up on it and greatly enjoyed a lot of it, at least until NJO when I left as I just dislked the direction. But even amongst the earlier Bantam days and all the stories I enjoyed, she was the only thing that I was actually saddened to lose when the old EU was rendered out of continuity.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

    "Now why don't we step up here and everybody get stepped up, and let's get some stepped up personal space up in this place." - Phillip Jacobs

  3. #3
    Mighty Member ChrisIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,841

    Default

    Yeah, and apart from the Emperor's Hand stuff she'd be pretty hard to work back in like Thrawn was. I can certainly see Talon Kaarde somehow being reincorporated though.

    Baron Fel as well could be worked in but without the whole dynasty thing and in-law relationship with Wedge.

    I can perhaps see some elements of "Shadows of the Empire" being reincorporated ( I don't think Disney has covered a lot of the ESB/ROTJ gap), although I think "Clone Wars" had a slightly different version of the Black Sun organization than that event did.

    Speaking of Wedge, seems like the character has been kind of downplayed apart from the "Aftermath" novels, whereas he had the whole X-wing novel and comic series in the old Legends EU, as well as a decent chunk of roles in the books. I'm guessing it might be in part because Disney has their own X-wing guy in Poe. Apparentally Denis Lawson was approached for a role in "Force Awakens" (probably as a resistance member) but he turned it down, or was busy (I've heard he doesn't have the best relationship with Lucasfilm as well)
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

    https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

  4. #4
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,086

    Default

    Until Legacy of the Force the old EU was vastly superior to the new movies. If there was an option to go back to the end of the Yuuzhan Vong war and start again from there without any of that Cadeus nonsense that would be my preferred 'continuity.'

    If they could bring the Vong into the Disneyverse that would be cool, since they are something different from the Sith/Empire they keep retreading now.

  5. #5
    Mighty Member ChrisIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,841

    Default

    I think the Thrawn novel still eluded a bit to the Vong; although if they do show up it'd probably be a more localized conflict between them and the Chiss.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

    https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

  6. #6
    Rebel that Rebels BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    6,745

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Yeah, and apart from the Emperor's Hand stuff she'd be pretty hard to work back in like Thrawn was. I can certainly see Talon Kaarde somehow being reincorporated though.

    Baron Fel as well could be worked in but without the whole dynasty thing and in-law relationship with Wedge.

    I can perhaps see some elements of "Shadows of the Empire" being reincorporated ( I don't think Disney has covered a lot of the ESB/ROTJ gap), although I think "Clone Wars" had a slightly different version of the Black Sun organization than that event did.

    Speaking of Wedge, seems like the character has been kind of downplayed apart from the "Aftermath" novels, whereas he had the whole X-wing novel and comic series in the old Legends EU, as well as a decent chunk of roles in the books. I'm guessing it might be in part because Disney has their own X-wing guy in Poe. Apparentally Denis Lawson was approached for a role in "Force Awakens" (probably as a resistance member) but he turned it down, or was busy (I've heard he doesn't have the best relationship with Lucasfilm as well)
    He was offered a role (Lor San Tekka's spot) and thought it was a joke. Then found out about the sell and wanted back in but it was too late. JJ initially had Ackbar in that spot after Wedge but changed it to Lor. So Ackbar was gonna die one way or another!

    I'm all for more Wedge ... he's my favorite.

    Shadows of the Empire and Shatterpoint would be the only other things I'd want to see come back.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  7. #7
    Astonishing Member Jokerz79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    3,338

    Default

    It's all continuity to me I cherry pick from Disney's new continuity and add to it.

  8. #8
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,952

    Default

    Warlord Zsinj and Wraith Squadron. Zsinj feels to me like the kind of character who could be modified into a good inter-Trilgoy villain; just make him an ex-Imelrial-regime politician, businessman, and crime lord, and emphasize the clever aspect from Aaron Allston's writing.
    "OH, SNAP!" INFINITY WAR PODCAST! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...=2&i=410621429
    THE FORCE AWAKENS VS THE LAST JEDI! PODCAST https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...=2&i=408109126
    BLACK PANTHER PODCAST https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...=2&i=406994785
    TEEN TITANS (03) VS TEEN TITANS GO! PODCAST https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...=2&i=400482734

  9. #9
    Ultimate Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14,044

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Until Legacy of the Force the old EU was vastly superior to the new movies. If there was an option to go back to the end of the Yuuzhan Vong war and start again from there without any of that Cadeus nonsense that would be my preferred 'continuity.'

    If they could bring the Vong into the Disneyverse that would be cool, since they are something different from the Sith/Empire they keep retreading now.
    It got bad LONG before Legacy. NJO turned Star Wars into Star Trek. Hard pass. And taking off my rose-colored glasses, the quality was never even and consistent, even in its heyday after Zahn really kickstarted it. It had more than its fair share of bad chapters to go along with the gems. The Courtship of Princess Leia (the creation of Dathomir notwithstanding), The Crystal Star, Children of the Jedi, Darksaber, just a few examples of bad stories. All-in-all, hardly vastly superior.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-04-2018 at 07:59 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

    "Now why don't we step up here and everybody get stepped up, and let's get some stepped up personal space up in this place." - Phillip Jacobs

  10. #10
    Incredible Member LordMikel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    947

    Default

    I liked Rogue Squadron and Wraith Squadron.
    I liked the concept of other user of the Force, but who used it differently.
    I liked how Luke was able to find people who still had the Force to train them.
    I did like the two different Sith factions and really wanted a Sith war.
    A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
    ― Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless


    "That's the problem with our opposition they keep thinking nobody could possibly be as stupid as we are. Fools 'em every time."
    ―Lando Calrissian[src]

  11. #11
    Non-fanboy Member Cel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Level 42
    Posts
    387

    Default

    Dawn of the Jedi and other comics set thousands of years before the movies. I really miss ancient stories about the Old Republic when there were legions of Jedi and Sith duking it out.

    As much as I like the current sequel trilogy, I also loved Star Wars: Legacy, which jumped forward a century or so after Episode VI and had new concepts like a partially reformed Empire with their army of white lightsaber-wielding Imperial Knights, and Darth Krayt's new One Sith Order (which actually dismissed the previous Rule of Two for the Sith).
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

  12. #12
    Ultimate Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14,044

    Default

    I think, should the new trilogy jump forward in time instead of back, we'll see the Rule of Two disbanded in the new canon as well. Just a feeling.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

    "Now why don't we step up here and everybody get stepped up, and let's get some stepped up personal space up in this place." - Phillip Jacobs

  13. #13
    Mighty Member ChrisIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,841

    Default

    Maybe it already has been-it's kind of unclear who exactly the Knights of Ren are.

    Like the old EU and the "Dark Jedi", Disney also has a loophole of sorts for the Rule of Two-The inquisitors.(Although the Inquisitors were sort of in the old EU, they were somewhat different).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

    https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

  14. #14
    Chosen One Carabas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    17,795

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I think, should the new trilogy jump forward in time instead of back, we'll see the Rule of Two disbanded in the new canon as well. Just a feeling.
    We witnessed the disbanding of the Rule Of Two at the end of Return Of the Jedi, when the Sith went extinct.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Maybe it already has been-it's kind of unclear who exactly the Knights of Ren are.
    Snoak and Kylo Ren aren't Sith at all, and would not care about traditions unique to the (failed and dead) Sith religion.
    Last edited by Carabas; 04-06-2018 at 11:33 AM.
    "One may be intelligent, and a Nazi. Then one is not decent. One may be decent and a Nazi. Then one is not intelligent. And one may be intelligent and decent. Then one is not a Nazi"
    - Gerhard Bronner

  15. #15
    Astonishing Member Zero Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,654

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I think, should the new trilogy jump forward in time instead of back, we'll see the Rule of Two disbanded in the new canon as well. Just a feeling.
    In the Dark Horse comics series Star Wars: Legacy which was set 125 years after Jedi that is exactly what they did. There were tons of Sith running around

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •