View Poll Results: Is the x-men series similar to the fight for civil rights in the United States?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    36 56.25%
  • No

    19 29.69%
  • I never considered it

    2 3.13%
  • It's just a comic book

    10 15.63%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 172
  1. #121
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,924

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BBeeryan View Post
    Hey, Rutog, do you understand the historical significance behind ushers and white gloves? Do you also understand that blacks weren't allowed to practice their faith the same way whites were? You do understand that the first black church had to be founded in order for negroes to be able to sit in the main hall as a respected member of the congregation?
    We are agreed on the hypocrisy if the white church in their practice of Christianity in regards to the treatment of their fellow (black) man. The points I am trying to make is Christianity did not originate in Europe. Also, even if it did, I believe it to be the truth wherever it came from. Trying to attack the faith itself for the actions of those who acted contrary to its teachings is not a fair-handed way to deal with it. I believe that blacks were the truest face of Christinity in this country for centuries in the way they steadfastly held onto their faith in Christ and the sincerity in which they tried to live out His word.

  2. #122
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,924

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BBeeryan View Post
    Exactly. Chaos Reigns was right. As you clearly just established, white supremacist Christianity was force on slaves. It was used as a means of justification for discrimination, dehumanization, brutalization, and humiliation. Embracing THE very religion that was used to sweep the atrocities committed over the course if centuries is in direct conflict with the growth of blacks in American society
    The point of contention I have with Chaos Reigns, however, is the actions of those slave owners (and the larger country that permitted the actions of the slave states) does not reflect on the religion at all. That is not what the faith teaches.

  3. #123
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    The point of contention I have with Chaos Reigns, however, is the actions of those slave owners (and the larger country that permitted the actions of the slave states) does not reflect on the religion at all. That is not what the faith teaches.
    I am saying the religion and form you practice is problematic and has very little to do with how it was practiced millennia ago.

  4. #124
    Bitch, what? BBeeryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    In love with you.
    Posts
    2,068

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    We are agreed on the hypocrisy if the white church in their practice of Christianity in regards to the treatment of their fellow (black) man. The points I am trying to make is Christianity did not originate in Europe. Also, even if it did, I believe it to be the truth wherever it came from. Trying to attack the faith itself for the actions of those who acted contrary to its teachings is not a fair-handed way to deal with it. I believe that blacks were the truest face of Christinity in this country for centuries in the way they steadfastly held onto their faith in Christ and the sincerity in which they tried to live out His word.
    I don't think anyone in this thread has made the claim that Christianity originated in Europe. (Anyone with gumption to research will find out that the story of Jesus Christ is actually a spin on an African folk tale) None of the major religions did. Whites didn't really learn religion and cleanliness (next to godliness) until the Moors arrived and taught them how NOT to sleep alongside their livestock. And wash properly, of course.

    Anywho, attacking beliefs that allowed for the understanding that perpetuates global injustices is what's really being discussed.
    Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    The point of contention I have with Chaos Reigns, however, is the actions of those slave owners (and the larger country that permitted the actions of the slave states) does not reflect on the religion at all. That is not what the faith teaches.
    No. The point of contention is you thinking that anyone with a working moral compass can view those people in question as true Christians. They were in fact hypocrites. That does not change the bigger truth at play here. Those hypocritical beliefs, the ones we're discussing, are the beliefs held by the founding fathers of this country. Those are the beliefs that America was built on. Those are the beliefs that call into question the legitimacy of the Constitution and declaration of independence. Both document reference the bible with God (Jesus' father) in legal documents. ONLY there's that pesky freedom of religion thing. Then you also have to consider that in our legal system, evidence obtained illegally is deemed fruit if the poisonous tree and thrown out. When you acknowledge that both the Declaration of independence and the Constitution are both saturated in hypocritically racist language. Would it be fair to say that because our sovereignty was built on hypocritically racist laws that our society is in a sense fruit of that poisonous tree?
    BLUE, The most POWERFUL woman in comics, and the most BEAUTIFUL woman in comics, The Bright Lady, Hadari Yao, Queen of Prophecy, The All-Goddess who Preserves the Balance of All Natural Things, Weather Witch, Ororo Komo Wakandas, Windrider, The Walker of Clouds, La Reine Storm, Ororo Iqadi T'Challa, The Rightful Queen of Wakanda has returned to the throne! All-Goddess be praised!


  5. #125
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,924

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Reigns View Post
    I am saying the religion and form you practice is problematic and has very little to do with how it was practiced millennia ago.
    The teachings are the same today as they were 2,000 years ago. Look, one's walk with Christ is a personal one. It simply involves accepting Christ as your savior and living according to His Word.

    Quote Originally Posted by BBeeryan View Post
    I don't think anyone in this thread has made the claim that Christianity originated in Europe. (Anyone with gumption to research will find out that the story of Jesus Christ is actually a spin on an African folk tale) None of the major religions did. Whites didn't really learn religion and cleanliness (next to godliness) until the Moors arrived and taught them how NOT to sleep alongside their livestock. And wash properly, of course.

    Anywho, attacking beliefs that allowed for the understanding that perpetuates global injustices is what's really being discussed.

    No. The point of contention is you thinking that anyone with a working moral compass can view those people in question as true Christians. They were in fact hypocrites. That does not change the bigger truth at play here. Those hypocritical beliefs, the ones we're discussing, are the beliefs held by the founding fathers of this country. Those are the beliefs that America was built on. Those are the beliefs that call into question the legitimacy of the Constitution and declaration of independence. Both document reference the bible with God (Jesus' father) in legal documents. ONLY there's that pesky freedom of religion thing. Then you also have to consider that in our legal system, evidence obtained illegally is deemed fruit if the poisonous tree and thrown out. When you acknowledge that both the Declaration of independence and the Constitution are both saturated in hypocritically racist language. Would it be fair to say that because our sovereignty was built on hypocritically racist laws that our society is in a sense fruit of that poisonous tree?
    I don't get it. View which people as true Christians? I've been saying since the start that the black slaves and later freed blacks were proportionally the truest face of Christianity in this country. Again, there is no disagreement between the two of us about this country being built on racism and hypocrisy. However, once more, such horrible realities that existed in the past (and remnants of it that continue to exist today in institutionalized racism) does not alter the tenants of the faith. Look, biblically speaking, it is not only a sin to commit sin, but to also affirm or celebrate the practice of sin is also a transgression of the divine law. Those who practiced or affirmed the racist practices of the past and those who perpetuate the modern day institutionalized racism will get their judgement for their actions if they don't repent before they die. They are in sin. Again, the point of disagreement I am having with Chaos is he is trying to use these people's actions to attack the religion itself simply because the perpetrators of these horrid acts claim the banner of Christianity, though they do not live the Word. The Bible says to be not only hearers of the Word, but doers of the Word as well. These racists who claim to be Christians don't live that last part.
    Last edited by rutog98; 04-11-2018 at 12:10 PM.

  6. #126
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    the Word. The Bible says to be not only hearers of the Word, but doers of the Word as well. These racists and homophobeswho claim to be Christians don't live that last part.
    fixed it for ya :cool
    Perfect verse "Dont worry about the speck in your neighbors eye...when there's a plank in yours "
    Last edited by BroHomo; 04-11-2018 at 12:29 PM.
    A.K.A S.K.I.D.

  7. #127
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,924

    Default

    deleted post
    Last edited by rutog98; 04-11-2018 at 12:36 PM.

  8. #128
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,924

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    fixed it for ya :
    Perfect verse "Dont worry about the speck in your neighbors eye...when
    LOL! :::shakes head:::

    Again, factually speaking, the Civil Rights movement and the gay movement are not the same thing. They are separated the different experiences of the two communities (save for black gays who would have been subjected to slavery and Jim Crow) and by faith (the Civil Rights movement leaned heavily on biblical scripture while the gay movement seeks to reject the Word of God). While it is true about what you say regarding getting the mote out of your own eye before getting the beam out of others, that doesn't really apply here in every instance. If a gay person wants somebody else to affirm their behavior, then they are trying to mandate that the other person sins. On the other hand, you shouldn't be out there name-calling or bashing people for their sexual orientation nor should they be fired from most jobs for their orientation. If you are a practicing homosexual, don't go looking for a job at a religious institution where the practice of homosexuality is a sin. You're going to get fired if they find you out. Likewise, if you are a Christian, don't go working at a gay club and then not want to do things that may be required of you that affirms homosexuality. You're going to get fired. That said, neutral jobs like working at a bank should be available to gays just as much as straight people. Nowhere in the Bible does it say only the righteous have the right to work and all else must starve and live on the streets as vagrants. In many states in the US, I think a person can legally be fired simply for being gay state wide. I honestly don't see the justification for that from any biblical viewpoint.
    Last edited by rutog98; 04-11-2018 at 12:43 PM.

  9. #129
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    :::shakes head:::
    You're implying that you can't be racist and a good Christian but you can be a homophobe and still be a model Example of Christianity?
    A.K.A S.K.I.D.

  10. #130
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,924

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    You're implying that you can't be racist and a good Christian but you can be a homophobe and still be a model Example of Christianity?
    Define homophobe? Look, scriptually speaking, it is a sin to practice homosexuality or to celebrate of affirm the behavior. This is under the New Testament, by the way, the convenant that is binding today. Some people define homophobe as those who don't affirm the practice homosexuality and see it as something ungodly. That's not being a homophobe, to be honest. Now, if you refer to a homophobe as being somebody who's out there gay-bashing and name-calling gay people, then that is a sin, and a true homophobe.

  11. #131
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    Define homophobe? Look, scriptually speaking, it is a sin to practice homosexuality or to celebrate of affirm the behavior. This is under the New Testament, by the way, the convenant that is binding today. Some people define homophobe as those who don't affirm the practice homosexuality and see it as something ungodly. That's not being a homophobe, to be honest. Now, if you refer to a homophobe as being somebody who's out there gay-bashing and name-calling gay people, then that is a sin, and a true homophobe.
    Dude how a s what you said any different than the people who used the bible to justify slavery? Or still use the bible to dehumanize another group of people. C'mon bruh, out put your bible down and go out and expand your perspective
    A.K.A S.K.I.D.

  12. #132
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,924

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Dude how a s what you said any different than the people who used the bible to justify slavery? Or still use the bible to dehumanize another group of people. C'mon bruh, out put your bible down and go out and expand your perspective
    Because what they said to try and justify slavery and institutional racism is contrary to the Bible which makes it a sin. That said, God loves gay people and commands that His people do the same, but He hates the practice of homosexuality, and likewise commands His people to do the same. The reason people don't want to put their Bible down is they are afraid of spending eternity in Hell. On some issues of religion, they are just not going to change their mind on things because God is the supreme authority when it comes to dictating what is right and wrong. He has the power of Heaven and Hell that He holds over everybody's head, and for some, spending an enternity in a lava pit would be, well, the pits! Telling a true believer to put their Bible down just sounds like the most foolish thing in the world you can say to them, honestly, for these reasons. LOL!

    You made me laugh with your post. Hahahaha!
    Last edited by rutog98; 04-11-2018 at 12:53 PM.

  13. #133
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    Telling a true believer to put their Bible down just sounds like the most foolish thing in the world you can say to them, honestly, for these reasons. LOL!

    You made me laugh with your post. Hahahaha!
    My pleasure Dude!
    I enjoy spreading my God-Given Gift of Gaiety!
    Enjoy the Gay!


    Now back to the X-Men or something......
    A.K.A S.K.I.D.

  14. #134
    Fantastic Member ClanAskani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    304

    Default

    1. Does The X-Men have parallels to fights for civil rights in society? No.
    2. Would you agree that Magneto resembles Malcolm X and Professor X resembles Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.? No.
    3. Did you ever think of The X-Men to have correlations to everyday society, or was it just a comic book? Yes
    4. What would you say to people who believe The X-Men series helped to expose racial,LGBTQ+, and women's rights issues? See below


    The problem with the correlation between civil rights and X-Men is that mutants are feared for a reason - they can be dangerous. A mutant can be born with the power to destroy an entire city. There's no reason to fear someone of another race, culture, gender or orientation.

    The Morlocks hiding under the sewers with mostly harmless powers is a better comparison, but they look like monsters. It's not irrational to fear someone who looks like they came from a horror movie.

    When you try to put that into the context of the civil rights or racial/religious prejudice, then does it send the message that there is a reason to fear someone of another race or religion? If refugees from Syria are like mutants, then does infer the idea that Muslims are dangerous?
    Last edited by ClanAskani; 04-11-2018 at 02:48 PM.

  15. #135
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ClanAskani View Post
    1. Does The X-Men have parallels to fights for civil rights in society? No.
    2. Would you agree that Magneto resembles Malcolm X and Professor X resembles Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.? No.
    3. Did you ever think of The X-Men to have correlations to everyday society, or was it just a comic book? Yes
    4. What would you say to people who believe The X-Men series helped to expose racial,LGBTQ+, and women's rights issues? See below


    The problem with the correlation between civil rights and X-Men is that mutants are feared for a reason - they can be dangerous. A mutant can be born with the power to destroy an entire city. There's no reason to fear someone of another race, culture, gender or orientation.

    The Morlocks hiding under the sewers with mostly harmless powers is a better comparison, but they look like monsters. It's not irrational to fear someone who looks like they came from a horror movie.

    When you try to put that into the context of the civil rights or racial/religious prejudice, then does it send the message that there is a reason to fear someone of another race or religion? If refugees from Syria are like mutants, then does infer the idea that Muslims are dangerous?
    For a lot a people that sort of speculation calculation is totally okay and the norm. And those are the people i fear
    A.K.A S.K.I.D.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •