Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 120
  1. #1
    Fantastic Member Harsh Lesson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    254

    Default Black Panther, Blue Marvel, and Captain Marvel: The answer to DCís Trinity?

    With Marvel soon approaching Phase 4 of the MCU, they may begin looking beyond the Avengers for a few years as it introduces new characters. In 2019, one of those characters will be Carol Danvers, better known as Captain Marvel. Along with her, Monica Rambeau is rumored to be joining the fold, giving us three members of the Ultimates. On top of this, we’re also faced with the reality that we’ll soon lose or be forced to replace many of our founding Avengers characters be it Tony Stark, Steve Rodgers, or Thor.

    Combining the above with the huge success of the Black Panther film, is there a possibility that the Ultimates could be introduced in the absence of the Avengers? With the big three possibly awol for a couple years, is it possible for T’Challa, Adam Brashear, and Carol Danvers to step up and be for the MCU what Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman are for DC?
    Last edited by Harsh Lesson; 04-15-2018 at 02:54 PM.

  2. #2
    Astonishing Member Jokerz79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,944

    Default

    I'd vote Black Panther, Spider-Man, and Captain Marvel for now as the possible big three going into Phase 4.

  3. #3
    Mighty Member Cville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,916

    Default

    Spider Man and Black Panther.

    Carol has an uphill battle. Civil War II hurt her likability. The movie will have to hit it out of the park.

  4. #4
    I am BLACK GUY dreyga2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    472

    Default

    The obvious answer is Cap, Thor, and Iron-man

  5. #5
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    Spider Man and Black Panther.

    Carol has an uphill battle. Civil War II hurt her likability. The movie will have to hit it out of the park.
    The vast, vast majority of people going to see the movie will be meeting Carol for the first time and bring zero baggage from the comics with them. There is no particular uphill battle for her outside of not being a household name - but that certainly didn't hurt Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, Guardians of the Galaxy, or Black Panther.

  6. #6
    Original CBR member Jabare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,331

    Default

    Marvel doesn't need a trinity... that's part of the reason marvel is winning in the current comic/multimedia landscape.

    There are no 3 characters above everyone else, maybe you could break it down and mark the 3 most popular characters, but everyone inhabits their own space and means something different to fans. Generally speaking I think Marvel recognizes this. Nothings perfect obviously but mores than DC I see a myriad of characters inhabiting different spaces. On paper DC has the same capability but it tends to default just to their trinity and ultimately Batman. I think Marvel's benefited from not having that Big 3 mantra and its allowed them to flourish into the company they are today
    The J-man

    I post via my phone a lot, therefore I make the occasional grammatical error. Not an excuse just forewarning you. Feel free to call me out I won't mind.

  7. #7
    The One Above All 616MarvelYear is LeapYear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Marvel Studios
    Posts
    7,000

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Marvel doesn't need a trinity... that's part of the reason marvel is winning in the current comic/multimedia landscape.

    There are no 3 characters above everyone else, maybe you could break it down and mark the 3 most popular characters, but everyone inhabits their own space and means something different to fans. Generally speaking I think Marvel recognizes this. Nothings perfect obviously but mores than DC I see a myriad of characters inhabiting different spaces. On paper DC has the same capability but it tends to default just to their trinity and ultimately Batman. I think Marvel's benefited from not having that Big 3 mantra and its allowed them to flourish into the company they are today
    100% in agreement.
    Imperius Rex!
    http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Images/.../74396-9Bk.jpg
    It's clobberin' time! Hulk is strongest one there is! Have at thee!
    http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Images/...74396-51Bk.jpg
    I'm the best there is at what I do, but what I do best isn't very nice.
    http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Images/...74396-43Bk.jpg

  8. #8
    Incredible Member KidStranglehold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    931

    Default

    Blue Marvel is not popular enough and Marvel has not even him any real build in the comics and he's been around since 2009. They're still struggling somewhat with Carol. But like someone said Marvel does not NEED a trinity. They never have and never will. DC having a big trinity such as Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman is the reason why they have been stagnated when it comes to films because they solely focued on those characters outside of comics and inside of comics. Especially when it came to Superman and Batman.

  9. #9
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    29,434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KidStranglehold View Post
    Blue Marvel is not popular enough and Marvel has not even him any real build in the comics and he's been around since 2009. They're still struggling somewhat with Carol. But like someone said Marvel does not NEED a trinity. They never have and never will. DC having a big trinity such as Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman is the reason why they have been stagnated when it comes to films because they solely focued on those characters outside of comics and inside of comics. Especially when it came to Superman and Batman.
    I think what's more stagnated them in films is that they haven't been able to deliver a version of the Trinity that people want to see more of, outside Wonder Woman. Otherwise Justice League wouldn't have been the problem child it ended up being.

    Just imagine if they had gone into The Avengers with Cap, Thor, and Iron Man all having headlined films with much more mixed reception then their solo's actually had.

  10. #10
    Astonishing Member mikeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Grand Rapids,Mich
    Posts
    2,222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    The vast, vast majority of people going to see the movie will be meeting Carol for the first time and bring zero baggage from the comics with them. There is no particular uphill battle for her outside of not being a household name - but that certainly didn't hurt Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, Guardians of the Galaxy, or Black Panther.
    Using that same concept, people are more likely to associate the name "Captain Marvel" with a DC character than a Marvel one. When I was a kid in the 1970's, CBS had a live-action Saturday morning TV show based on "Shazam".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shazam!_(TV_series)

  11. #11
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,169

    Default

    Nope. The DC Trinity represents three different family of books and expands through three different (mainstay) genres. Black Panther has a family of books now, but I don't think they'll last after Coates run in the same way that Future Foundation didn't last too long after Hickman's. As of this moment, I would say you would have to include an Avenger, an X-Man, and Spider-man. Granted, that's just what it would have to be for me to be satisfied with a Marvel Trinity (as opposed to the Avengers Trinity). I would like for the Fantastic Four to be included, but at this point, they aren't big enough anymore. They don't have a family of books, and I don't believe they'd be representing anything that the others don't already have covered.

  12. #12
    Spectacular Member Pulp Fiction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    The obvious answer is Cap, Thor, and Iron-man
    Lol you clearly didn't read the OP.


    To answer OP I don't think ultimates is gonna happen but I expect Antman, Dr strange, spider man, black panther, captain marvel and wasp to hold up the MCU for another decade. A trinity is unnecessary
    Last edited by Pulp Fiction; 04-15-2018 at 02:55 PM.

  13. #13
    Invincible Member XPac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    20,790

    Default

    Don't know about Adam, but certainly Black Panther, Spiderman, Captain Marvel, Ant-man and Dr. strange are on deck to fill the void.

    Calling them the Ultimates sounds okay on paper... though New Avengers probably is better for marketing reasons.

  14. #14
    Fantastic Member Harsh Lesson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KidStranglehold View Post
    Blue Marvel is not popular enough and Marvel has not even him any real build in the comics and he's been around since 2009. They're still struggling somewhat with Carol. But like someone said Marvel does not NEED a trinity. They never have and never will. DC having a big trinity such as Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman is the reason why they have been stagnated when it comes to films because they solely focued on those characters outside of comics and inside of comics. Especially when it came to Superman and Batman.
    The success of Ant-Man and Doctor Strange suggest you don’t need a mainstream following to produce a blockbuster. Their relative films made them household names, rather than their names being identiable enough to pull viewers into theaters. The MCU brand is enough to catch people’s attention, it’s up to the films themselves to keep it. Black Panther serves as another example, honestly. A lot more people know he who is now than they did before his film debuted.

    Edit: I see a lot of people saying the Ultimates won’t happen, but if that’s the case, what’s the future of Monica Rambeau if the rumors of her appearing in the Captain Marvel film prove true?
    Last edited by Harsh Lesson; 04-15-2018 at 03:03 PM.

  15. #15
    Incredible Member KidStranglehold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think what's more stagnated them in films is that they haven't been able to deliver a version of the Trinity that people want to see more of, outside Wonder Woman. Otherwise Justice League wouldn't have been the problem child it ended up being.

    Just imagine if they had gone into The Avengers with Cap, Thor, and Iron Man all having headlined films with much more mixed reception then their solo's actually had.
    This has been an issue well before the DCEU.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •