Page 423 of 449 FirstFirst ... 323373413419420421422423424425426427433 ... LastLast
Results 6,331 to 6,345 of 6729

Well I was hoping for good new for the movie or anything in the comics with John Stewart. But I understand that no one here has no hopes for a good future with John, especially when Green Lantern Earth One is coming out that doesn't feature John, but just Hal Jordan. I would say it's disappointing, but not surprising. As said before both should be starring in books to build up those characters for the movies. But choosing one over the other is just not the way to go, imo.

I think John has a bright future in movies. If he does, DC would have no choice but to eventually start pushing him hard in comics too. Obviously Hal is who he is, at this point they have invested far too much in him to just stop pushing him prominently, but I'm thinking if the rumors are true that he would be some washed up 40+ veteran in the movies, then there would be no contest between the two. It would be like comparing Jay Garrick and Barry Allen. Making Hal old immediately gives the notion that he could either be a supporting character or have a limited shelf life, so if Hal's role in the DCEU is limited to help training John and basically put him in the Justice League, then I don't think you need to worry about Stewart's future.

I also don't think you need to worry about examples like Earth One. John Stewart can always show up in Vol.2 or he could be a supporting character in the first book and take the lead in the second.
    Last edited by Johnny; 07-14-2017 at 05:58 PM.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I think John has a bright future in movies. If he does, DC would have no choice but to eventually start pushing him hard in comics too. Obviously Hal is who he is, at this point they have invested far too much in him to just stop pushing him prominently, but I'm thinking if the rumors are true that he would be some 40+ washed up veteran in the movies, then there would be no contest between the two. It would be like comparing Jay Garrick and Barry Allen. Making Hal old immediately gives the notion that he could either be a supporting character or have a limited shelf life, so if Hal's role in the DCEU is limited to help training John and basically put him in the Justice League, then I don't think you need to worry about Stewart's future.

I also don't think you need to worry about examples like Earth One. John Stewart can always show up in Vol.2 or he could be a supporting character in the first book and take the lead in the second.
    He was already popular in a a cartoon watched by millions. What did DC do then?

The same people are still in charge and one of them is working on the GLC film.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    He was already popular in a a cartoon watched by millions. What did DC do then?

The same people are still in charge and one of them is working on the GLC film.
    I have zero interest in going back to the tired old "People in charge hate John Stewart" thing again. I'm so over that debate. I believe he would be doing well in the coming years and that's all I have to say about that.

Astonishing Member

Yeah but if they do that, they would probably give people the impression that they are favoring Hal over John and they don't want that kind of publicity. The only way I could see them announcing Hal first is if he was in Justice League and at this point in time despite all the speculations I think we can all safely say that he isn't. I think the 2011 movie comparisons would only end once we see the character(s) in action.
    I honestly think folks (particularly comic fans) will draw upon their own conclusions before the actual film drops. With Johns heavily involved, folks will already think Hal will be more front & center than Stewart. With Goyer, folks will relive Blade Trinity nightmares for John Stewart. Speaking for myself, I fear if Sinestro is in the film, Johns will have both Hal & John in the back seat. I also think Hal will somehow debut in JL (as a cameo or Easter egg) before the GLC film.

This will be that film where the creators really have to be methodical with everything they do.

I hope they can have fun with the product without the feeling of walking on eggshells.
    Last edited by Anthony Shaw; 07-14-2017 at 10:00 PM.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

I have zero interest in going back to the tired old "People in charge hate John Stewart" thing again. I'm so over that debate. I believe he would be doing well in the coming years and that's all I have to say about that.
    The point I'm making is they didn't care about how John was used outside of the comics before. I haven't seen anything that would result in a change from that. Whether they like or hate John Stewart or whoever is besides the point.

Astonishing Member

I actually like the new take on Hal Jordan in the Earth One story. His origin needs to be updated. This could be why he's fallen out of the League (not just the film).

I think being immune to the constant reboots may have hurt the entire GL franchise. I understand why such a story will feature Hal first. I am very curious to see how John will be presented. DC has two full years before the GLC film to give us an Earth One John Stewart story.

John Stewart needs a revised origin, imo. How he got the ring, and his training with Hal & Katma should be retold. The social activist & the patriotic marine sniper aspects should be fleshed out. How can one person be both? It's possible, but I want to see DC explore John's complex personality in a meaningful way.

Ultimate Member

Until there is a FINAL product-every John Stewart fan along with many others who are growing tired of getting the shaft with lies, inferiors stories and nonstop excuses.

John was on a hit tv show and what was done? Yet Booster Gold among others can do guest shots and suddenly get solos and usage?

The point is we don't trust the folks who made the mess in the first place to fix it when it's plain to see they only care about a set number of folks.

I'm still bummed we didn't get to see him appear on Green Lantern: The Animated Series .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Until there is a FINAL product-every John Stewart fan along with many others who are growing tired of getting the shaft with lies, inferiors stories and nonstop excuses.

John was on a hit tv show and what was done? Yet Booster Gold among others can do guest shots and suddenly get solos and usage?

The point is we don't trust the folks who made the mess in the first place to fix it when it's plain to see they only care about a set number of folks.
    In the past, I expressed the belief of a GL pecking order. Being Geoff Johns creations, Jess & Simon got fast tracked. John, Guy, & Kyle are going no where fast until DC puts Hal Jordan over outside his core fan base. DC is not doing anything new with Hal, so his stories are only preaching to the choir. As a result, John is not going to get a sudden push, unless his film debut makes him a break-out character.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm still bummed we didn't get to see him appear on Green Lantern: The Animated Series .
    I really wanted to see if we were gonna get the marine, or the architect.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

Hawkgirl and Martian Manhunter were on the show too, they didn't exactly start investing in them as well. What people don't seem to understand is that characters being featured in popular cartoons doesn't mean they should be entitled to a big push. Movies on the other hand are a totally different thing. They make a far bigger impact across the board so if Stewart has a central role in the movie he appears in and that movie happens to be successful this time, DC can't bend over backwards to try to NOT push him again.

Like I said, they've invested too much in Hal at this point so even if John does find a huge level of popularity in movies, they won't just suddenly forget about Hal Jordan. You will still see the action figures or the occasional Hal animated appearances or the Earth One books or the Justice League LEGO sets with him, etc. Hal isn't going anywhere, but DC is damn sure not going to treat John the way they have in the past decade if he is in a successful movie.

It's fine to be distrustful of DC, but there's a bigger picture here.
    Last edited by Johnny; 07-15-2017 at 12:55 AM.

I think John has a bright future in movies. If he does, DC would have no choice but to eventually start pushing him hard in comics too. Obviously Hal is who he is, at this point they have invested far too much in him to just stop pushing him prominently, but I'm thinking if the rumors are true that he would be some washed up 40+ veteran in the movies, then there would be no contest between the two. It would be like comparing Jay Garrick and Barry Allen. Making Hal old immediately gives the notion that he could either be a supporting character or have a limited shelf life, so if Hal's role in the DCEU is limited to help training John and basically put him in the Justice League, then I don't think you need to worry about Stewart's future.

Well, I'm glad that you're one of the few that's optimistic, Johnny. But I just can't seeing Hal being a 40+ old veteran, especially if Geoff Johns is involved in the film. He was the one that made the character younger and retconned his age during Rebirth.

It may be possible for John Stewart to be the lead in Earth One Vol. 2, but I don't really have my hopes up. Would be nice to see an All Star Green Lantern book. Brian Azzarello stated a while back John Stewart was going to be the main character in that book, but that project was cancelled unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    John Stewart needs a revised origin, imo. How he got the ring, and his training with Hal & Katma should be retold. The social activist & the patriotic marine sniper aspects should be fleshed out. How can one person be both? It's possible, but I want to see DC explore John's complex personality in a meaningful way.
    As far as blending both his aspects as far as being an architect and marine goes, Van Jensen was way closer than most. An origin star is very important, I don't want to see no writer develop the character that can hurt his future from an origin story. Van Jensen is the only writer that I can trust to make an compelling origin story with John.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Well, I'm glad that you're one of the few that's optimistic, Johnny. But I just can't seeing Hal being a 40+ old veteran, especially if Geoff Johns is involved in the film. He was the one that made the character younger and retconned his age during Rebirth.
    Well we gotta remember that Batman is older in the DCEU so if they can do that to their biggest character, I don't think Hal of all people would be off-limits just because Geoff de-aged him. I mean that report said he could be 50 years old. Whatever they think suits the story best I guess. I'm thinking one of the reasons Hal would even be in the movie is to help springboard some of the GL concepts that are originally associated with him and then probably he'll get killed off in the end. As you can see I'm even less optimistic about Hal's future in the movies than you guys are about John's. lol Though I do know what you mean about Geoff Johns, it's also a fact that the young, brash, loose-cannon version of Hal is generally the most well-known depiction of the character, so I do have some doubts they would make him that obsolete and past his prime. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    It may be possible for John Stewart to be the lead in Earth One Vol. 2, but I don't really have my hopes up. Would be nice to see an All Star Green Lantern book. Brian Azzarello stated a while back John Stewart was going to be the main character in that book, but that project was cancelled unfortunately.
    Yeah I've heard about that, would've been very interesting for sure, despite that I'm not the biggest Azzarello fan.
    Last edited by Johnny; 07-15-2017 at 06:03 AM.

Astonishing Member

Hawkgirl and Martian Manhunter were on the show too, they didn't exactly start investing in them as well. What people don't seem to understand is that characters being featured in popular cartoons doesn't mean they should be entitled to a big push. Movies on the other hand are a totally different thing. They make a far bigger impact across the board so if Stewart has a central role in the movie he appears in and that movie happens to be successful this time, DC can't bend over backwards to try to NOT push him again.

Like I said, they've invested too much in Hal at this point so even if John does find a huge level of popularity in movies, they won't just suddenly forget about Hal Jordan. You will still see the action figures or the occasional Hal animated appearances or the Earth One books or the Justice League LEGO sets with him, etc. Hal isn't going anywhere, but DC is damn sure not going to treat John the way they have in the past decade if he is in a successful movie.

It's fine to be distrustful of DC, but there's a bigger picture here.
    When I read comments like that, I think Harley Quinn.

But afterwards, I think....was she just lightning in a bottle?

She's probably the exception to the rule.