Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27
  1. #16
    Spectacular Member mrbrklyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Elijah Snow was fully conceived and developed when he first hit the comic racks. Wonder Women was a conception conceived as a political device and was an immediate success. Marvels best conceived character was Dr Strange....by far.
    http://www.mrbrklyn.com/american_flagg.html
    I am the original Ruben Not this knock off..

  2. #17
    Extraordinary Member Gray Lensman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    7,930

    Default

    From the Big 2 I'll go with the flow and say Spider-Man, with an honorable mention to Wonder-Woman.

    Outside that, the Phantom and Hellboy are both very well conceived and thought out.

    And Darker Than Black and anything associated with it are disqualified in my eyes since they aren't originally from a comic. It was conceived as an anime first and the manga is the adaptation rather than the other way around.

  3. #18
    Boisterously Confused
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    Elijah Snow was fully conceived and developed when he first hit the comic racks. Wonder Women was a conception conceived as a political device and was an immediate success. Marvels best conceived character was Dr Strange....by far.
    Think about Wonder Woman is that her concept has been fundamentally changed from Marston's original. She wasn't created as a divine entity, but as a standout of a remote nation of women who'd achieved mental, physical and intellectual perfection. Dr. Strange has generally stuck to his roots, but he's wandered off the tracks a lot along the way.

  4. #19
    Genesis of A Nemesis Things Fall Apart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,139

    Default

    It think X-O Manowar is exactly what it says on the tin for the most part.

    "Visigoth in alien future armor...and go."
    Pull List:

    Marvel Comics: Black Panther, Rise of the Black Panther, Fantastic Four, Captain America, Avengers, Marvel 2-in-1, Immortal Hulk

    Xbox Live Gamertag:

    ItsMckinnis

  5. #20
    Boisterously Confused
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    It think X-O Manowar is exactly what it says on the tin for the most part.

    "Visigoth in alien future armor...and go."
    Now that's a good example, and one that's durable as long as a) there's violence in our society, b) our technology doesn't surpass his. So, should have oodles of life left in it.

  6. #21
    Astonishing Member PaulBullion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    3,097

    Default

    Shouldn't it be "best conceived"?
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

  7. #22
    Boisterously Confused
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Shouldn't it be "best conceived"?
    I also considered Besterestist, but thought it too showy.

  8. #23
    Spectacular Member mrbrklyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Think about Wonder Woman is that her concept has been fundamentally changed from Marston's original. She wasn't created as a divine entity, but as a standout of a remote nation of women who'd achieved mental, physical and intellectual perfection. Dr. Strange has generally stuck to his roots, but he's wandered off the tracks a lot along the way.
    That is not the creaters fault. It was perfectly conceived in detail.
    http://www.mrbrklyn.com/american_flagg.html
    I am the original Ruben Not this knock off..

  9. #24
    Boisterously Confused
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    That is not the creaters fault. It was perfectly conceived in detail.
    While I agree it's not the creators' fault, some of the examples pointed out (notably Spider-Man and The Phantom) have proven more resistant to tampering to their basic concept, backstory and supporting casts than others.

  10. #25
    Spectacular Member mrbrklyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    While I agree it's not the creators' fault, some of the examples pointed out (notably Spider-Man and The Phantom) have proven more resistant to tampering to their basic concept, backstory and supporting casts than others.
    Not really. Spider-man have undergown a radical transfermation over the years. Regardless, The question was which was best coceived and none perhaps was better conveived, every detail, than Wonder Women had been. The essense of Wonder Women might actually have changed less than Spider-man, as an aside. Braclets, Cuffs, lasso, custom....
    http://www.mrbrklyn.com/american_flagg.html
    I am the original Ruben Not this knock off..

  11. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    Not really. Spider-man have undergown a radical transfermation over the years. Regardless, The question was which was best coceived and none perhaps was better conveived, every detail, than Wonder Women had been. The essense of Wonder Women might actually have changed less than Spider-man, as an aside. Braclets, Cuffs, lasso, custom....
    Spider-Man is the same character from Amazing Fantasy just all grown up. Wonder Woman is not. A lot of Marston’s concepts didn’t age well and were removed.

  12. #27
    Boisterously Confused
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Spider-Man is the same character from Amazing Fantasy just all grown up. Wonder Woman is not. A lot of Marston’s concepts didn’t age well and were removed.
    I'll grant your point about some of Marston's fascination with bondage, but disagree on his Feminist-Paragon ideas versus the Divine Construct that followed. If you read the first year or so of Sensation Comics, I'm not so sure if it's a matter of the original WW not aging well, or if it's more a case that they went out of fashion for the times. The 1920s-1945 were a very feminist time (relatively), but after the troops came home, a lot of that got rolled back.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •