Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    I don't think it would work in one of his own comics, but there's no reason why it can't be done in a book that takes itself less seriously. I mean, The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl is a canon book that plays pretty much every character in there for laughs and it works because that's the point of the book. So if it was something like that, yeah, I could enjoy it.

Agreed, depending on the circumstances and context of the book, he could be written as goofier than normal, playing up his seriousness and man out of time aspects and playing them for laughs, in a book just like you said Venus. However I really couldn’t imagine the main version of Cap becoming like that unless it is for some cartoon or especially goofy comic. I mean can anyone really imagine Chris Evans acting out the OP post ��

The reason they wouldn't do it is not because it would be too difficult but because it would be too easy. His po-faced sententiousness and thunderous pomposity is actually extremely straightforward to ridicule.

Captain America stories, perhaps more so than most superhero stories, require a suspension of disbelief, not in the reality of some geezer with super-soldier powers, but in the endless virtue of his character, despite his goofy costume and endless moralising. f you were to explicitly ridicule those aspects in his own comic... well, it would be a bit like blackmailing Garth Ennis into writing a Wolverine solo He wouldn't be able to restrain himself from taking the mickey out of Wolverine's tiresomely self-mythologising machismo.

In the long term, it could actually be quite destructive of the character.

What I'd personally like to see with Captain America would be a magic spell cast in which everyone forgot who he was (except himself) and he would have to start again from scratch. I think that might be a cool story. For me, the main issue with the character is the in-Universe reverence with which he is treated. Take that away... and you have something.

An alternative proposal to the OP is that they introduce a function on Comixology, where you can put a laughter track on while reading a Captain America comic. That would improve the experience of reading a number of Captain America runs.
    Last edited by Coin Biter; 05-14-2018 at 05:11 AM.

Spectacular Member Pulp Fiction's Avatar

Steve has a hulk hogan contract, so that would never happen.

Spectacular Member

You know, this thread to me reads like 'how dare the writers actually love and enjoy a protagonist they're writing, how about we make him a joke instead'. In other words, bitter grapes. Anyone ever heard of liking what you like, hating what you hate but being respectful of other fans and their feelings and not continuously trying to trash something they love? I mean, I'm by no means saying everyone has to love Steve with the fervency that I do, free country and all that, but honestly, are the thinly veiled attack posts necessary? Just stay in your lane. Like what you like, ignore what you don't, and be respectful that tastes vary.

Astonishing Member

Well, he was played for laughs a little bit when he became Nomad.

Steve isn't perfect and doesn't have to be. He can't be a complete joke like the Tick because no major hero can be that much of a loser, not even Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, Steve can be kind of a goofball in the right context:

A story done in the Dematteis/Giffen/Maguire style and Steve is at a disadvantage because of his lack of knowledge about current events and pop culture could be funny and not too insulting.

The JLI books were great at finding laughs but still keeping the characters true to form. But it would have to be a good team for me to even consider buying it.

Incredible Member

I'd be down for a humor book. He's the ultimate square, straight man. Might be best with a buddy who plays the Bud Abbott role to someone else's Costello.

Although he might be too easy of a target. It might feel like low hanging fruit and beating a dead horse.

His entire concept is ridiculous, so yeah, he'd work better as parody.