Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Silver Surfer, #2

Dan Slott and Michael Allred's "Silver Surfer" #2 manages to be quirky, charming, and still full of adventure all at once, as the Surfer goes up against the Never Queen.

Full review here.

No comments yet? Allow me to begin. This series, after two issues, absolutely rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Last_Czarnian View Post
    No comments yet? Allow me to begin. This series, after two issues, absolutely rocks.
    Everything comic related seems kind of thrown off schedule by the Great Purge.

But yeah, good stuff.

I'm actually surprised at this rating. I would have given it, like, a 2 out of 5.

I loved the first issue, but this issue was so full of plot holes and bad writing (no offense, Dan). First off, I hate it when a character narrates exactly what he or she is thinking. Takes me right out of the story, and Surfer was a doing a lot of it here. And second, there was just so much that didn't make sense.

For one, Dawn says in the beginning that she's only able to understand the other aliens because of the translators in their motivator cubes. However, even when they break out, she's able to talk to them with no problem. So, basically, she would have had to learn alien speech in the 15 minutes she was in there. And also, when whoever that was Zed was talking to just materializes the "Edge of Reality" out of nowhere and tells him "that's all you need to defeat the Never Queen," all I could think was ".....Well, why didn't you just do that before?? I mean, you've basically spent this entire time conscripting "champions" to fight her, which has basically been as effective as you throwing dead bodies at her...and you, at any time, could have summoned the ultimate to fight her??? Um.....why not just do that from the start?"

Anyway, I'm gonna keep with the series, but I just wasn't a fan of this issue.
    Last edited by Zeeguy91; 05-03-2014 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I'm actually surprised at this rating. I would have given it, like, a 2 out of 5.
    I think you're missing the stylistic intent of the narration. It's supposed to feel a bit like a throw-back to older comics, a little... I don't know, whimsical in a way. I understood the translator thing as a quip about how aliens in pop culture so often speak English (which makes zero sense) -- so the translators in the cubes was poking fun at that, and there was no need to explain how Dawn and the aliens understood one another after the escape since that's the assumed status quo in superhero comics.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

I loved the first issue, but this issue was so full of plot holes and bad writing (no offense, Dan). First off, I hate it when a character narrates exactly what he or she is thinking. Takes me right out of the story, and Surfer was a doing a lot of it here. And second, there was just so much that didn't make sense.

For one, Dawn says in the beginning that she's only able to understand the other aliens because of the translators in their motivator cubes. However, even when they break out, she's able to talk to them with no problem. So, basically, she would have had to learn alien speech in the 15 minutes she was in there. And also, when whoever that was Zed was talking to just materializes the "Edge of Reality" out of nowhere and tells him "that's all you need to defeat the Never Queen," all I could think was ".....Well, why didn't you just do that before?? I mean, you've basically spent this entire time conscripting "champions" to fight her, which has basically been as effective as you throwing dead bodies at her...and you, at any time, could have summoned the ultimate to fight her??? Um.....why not just do that from the start?"

Anyway, I'm gonna keep with the series, but I just wasn't a fan of this issue.
    Yeah....Actually I wondered about that myself. At the moment,I thought there may have been more to it than that (like, there was another purpose to the whole "Champion" thing than just killing the Whatever Queen that has yet to be revealed), but that did seemed somewhat of a pretty big oversight to not even adress at all at the moment.
    I dunno, I'm not quite feeling this series as of now, and the Silver Surfer is, like, my favorite Marvel hero. Not sure why, it just doesn't feel right.
    First sign of trouble...Someone goes out on a stretcher. And it won't be me.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Akktim View Post
    I think you're missing the stylistic intent of the narration. It's supposed to feel a bit like a throw-back to older comics, a little... I don't know, whimsical in a way. I understood the translator thing as a quip about how aliens in pop culture so often speak English (which makes zero sense) -- so the translators in the cubes was poking fun at that, and there was no need to explain how Dawn and the aliens understood one another after the escape since that's the assumed status quo in superhero comics.
    Yeah, no, it doesn't work like that. If you're trying to explain a comic book/sci fi convention, the least you can do is have the explanation be coherent, otherwise, it's end up being kinda pointless, and just making the aliens speak english is more to the point, and at least, it's not outright incoherent.
    And I say that as someone who didn't notice the issue on his first reading.
    First sign of trouble...Someone goes out on a stretcher. And it won't be me.

For one, Dawn says in the beginning that she's only able to understand the other aliens because of the translators in their motivator cubes. However, even when they break out, she's able to talk to them with no problem. So, basically, she would have had to learn alien speech in the 15 minutes she was in there.
    Actually the only one she couldn't understand was Mr. Plorp (that only said plorp to mean anything) the other ones talked with words. She doesn't talk with Mr. Plorp after the escape but only with the other ones that talked with words. It was just a sketch.

Quote Originally Posted by brainwasher View Post
    Actually the only one she couldn't understand was Mr. Plorp (that only said plorp to mean anything) the other ones talked with words. She doesn't talk with Mr. Plorp after the escape but only with the other ones that talked with words. It was just a sketch.
    Bingo.

I'm holding out hope that in issue #3 they touch on why Zed didn't use that knife thing sooner. There must be some sort of reason, the simplest of which would be that the guy handing it to him doesn't actually think it will work and just tells him that so he'll be more confident.

Quote Originally Posted by Akktim View Post
    I think you're most of the way there, except I'd go further in giving Slott a pass on these continuity issues. I don't think it needs to be made into some metacommentary. This is obviously a book that is more concerned about character and fun than sci-fi mechanics. I noticed these incosistancies and didn't care in the slightest because Slott and the Allreds were showing me such a great time.

Can't wait for issue 3! This is the best Marvel book right now.

BANNED

Yeah, there were some plot holes (I wondered the same thing about the knife, and then wondered how a force of nature like the Never Queen would have an actual beating heart, or any organ for that matter, and decided to let it all go and just enjoy the craziness), but I loved this book. Comics can be so exasperating right now, with all the deaths/parallel universes/bowing down to the movie universes that reading a fun, old-school, brilliantly-drawn book like Silver Surfer is like drinking a cold beer after a long, crappy day at work.

Quote Originally Posted by LightningBug View Post
    I think you're most of the way there, except I'd go further in giving Slott a pass on these continuity issues. I don't think it needs to be made into some metacommentary. This is obviously a book that is more concerned about character and fun than sci-fi mechanics. I noticed these incosistancies and didn't care in the slightest because Slott and the Allreds were showing me such a great time.

Can't wait for issue 3! This is the best Marvel book right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Yeah, there were some plot holes (I wondered the same thing about the knife, and then wondered how a force of nature like the Never Queen would have an actual beating heart, or any organ for that matter, and decided to let it all go and just enjoy the craziness), but I loved this book. Comics can be so exasperating right now, with all the deaths/parallel universes/bowing down to the movie universes that reading a fun, old-school, brilliantly-drawn book like Silver Surfer is like drinking a cold beer after a long, crappy day at work.
    I definitely enjoy when a comic utilizes a consistent framework of logic, but I'm with you guys. Sometimes it's okay to just have fun, and Slott and Allred's first two issues are all kinds of fun. I'm loving it and my suspicion is that I will continue to love it.

-Pav, who's anticipating this week's issue of Iron Fist as much as the next issue of Silver Surfer...
    Last edited by Pav; 05-05-2014 at 05:27 PM.
    2014: Silver Surfer Iron Fist New Warriors
    2013: Scarlet Spider X-Men: Legacy Young Avengers Morbius

Couldn't agree more with the article. I absolutely LOVE this series! Best of the All New Marvel Now! bunch.

It's a pun

I gotta say, this is one of the best things I'm reading. It's just so much fun and so whimsical and simple. I love it.
    There's a fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think that I walk that line every day of my life.