Fantastic Member

Default Suggestions for Characters to Discuss in Thesis

Hello,

Everyone my sister is a grad student who is doing a thesis on Character Representations within Comics and Comic book related media. However, she needs some help selecting characters to discuss in her thesis she has some ideas but I thought I would post here to see if there are some interesting choices that we missed. We are looking for the following types of characters to discuss in her thesis

African American Women

Native American Men and Women

Asian Men and Women

Latin American Men and Women

The longer the character has been around, the better she is covering history from the 40s to the present. Listing other media the character is in would also be a great help.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reni344 View Post
    Hello,

Everyone my sister is a grad student who is doing a thesis on Character Representations within Comics and Comic book related media. However, she needs some help selecting characters to discuss in her thesis she has some ideas but I thought I would post here to see if there are some interesting choices that we missed. We are looking for the following types of characters to discuss in her thesis

African American Women

Native American Men and Women

Asian Men and Women

Latin American Men and Women

The longer the character has been around, the better she is covering history from the 40s to the present. Listing other media the character is in would also be a great help.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

African American Women: Storm is your choice to go: SHe's been in most X men movies and cartoons

Native American Men and Women: Warpath or forge for male, and Dani Moonstar for female

Asian Men and Women: For asian men maybe amadeus cho

Latin American Men and Women: RIctor or spiderman 2099 for male/ for female america Chavez

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

For Asians in Asia I would go with Silver Samurai and Sunfire; Mandarin is a very touchy choice unless she wants to tackle racial stereotypes.

But if you are talking about Asian-Americans, then Amadeus Cho and Kamala Khan. Jimmy Woo has an even longer history though he doesn't have superpowers.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 fanatic, Avatar-maker, SHSO player, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。

Monica Rambeau would also work for a black character. She has a lot of history. There is an entire thread about her and not being pushed. http://community.comicbookresources....Captain-Marvel

Shuri from Black Panther. I'm not sure how far back her history goes, but she does don Black Panther.
    “A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”
    ― Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

"That's the problem with our opposition – they keep thinking nobody could possibly be as stupid as we are. Fools 'em every time."
    ―Lando Calrissian[src]

For Asian I would suggest Kavita Rao. But she's a minor character.
    “Indifference and neglect often do much more damage than outright dislike.”
    -Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix