Astonishing Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Design a Black Label Superman line.

Let's say DC let you do your own take on Superman for their Black Label line. It's supposed to be an ongoing and you have complete creative freedom to do it how you want. What would be your ideas?

Mine would be a sort of updated Golden Age. No origin. No flashbacks to his childhood or Krypton. The closest we might get are statues of his parents in the Fortress. If there even is a fortress. Pictures of Ma and Pa in his apartment. Lois doesn't know his secret and they aren't dating. She's a rival. She's as attracted to Superman as any other woman but they don't really have a relationship. He's a crime reporter who investigates things like serial killers and rapists. Or gang members. It's largely a crime comic. Luthor provides weapons to gang members. Toyman is a terrorist for hire. Prankster is sort of his Joker. Plays elaborate and dangerous "pranks" just to get Superman's attention. Often that kill people. Terra Man is an anti-alien xenophobe who hates Superman and leads a militia to purge him from the Earth. Very few monsters or aliens. No acknowledgement of any other heroes. Parasite is a mutation who escaped from a lab and feeds off whoever he can find. Like a vampire. In fact, when he first appears, people think it is a vampire killing people. Intergang would play a huge role.
    Listen, lady! I am thirteen years old and driving a Bat-hog through the Amazon on a Tuesday morning! I am ALREADY winning!

-Robin

Mine would be pretty similar to yours but first couple arcs would focus completely on Morgan Edge and Intergang. Golden Age power levels, T-shirt and jeans outfit. Lex would be working with ARGUS and General Lane, he’d start out fat and out of shape and start working out after he meets Supes. He’d be working on ways to counter Supes which would eventually give birth to Metallo. Other villains would follow later, I’d have Parasite made in STAR Labs for instance. Clark would evantually get the ability to fly but he’d still be Golden Age tier otherwise.

I would take a cue from Superman #149 and have Lex Luthor kill Superman permanently and it would start by focusing on what the world would be like if Superman did die, for example, Kara would start protecting Metropolis. Luthor would be sent to the Phantom Zone for his crimes and the main crux of the story would be Luthor coming back.
    Last edited by Deku; 05-18-2018 at 04:01 PM.
    PLUS ULTRA!

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    I would take a cue from Superman #149 and have Lex Luthor kill Superman permanently and it would start by focusing on what the world would be like if Superman did die, for example, Kara would start protecting Metropolis. Luthor would be sent to the Phantom Zone for his crimes and the main crux of the story would be Luthor coming back.
    I've always wondered what a "The Villains Win" Earth would look like in the DCU, similar to what Old Man Logan did for the MU.

I'd wanna do more with Hernan Guerra from the Justice League Gods and Monsters movie. That movie was awesome and I'm hoping to see more of that universe. I wanted to incorporate some of Batman v Superman into it because Batman v Superman did try to show how Superman would affect the geo-political landscape after he debuts.

I would go back to his early days like the New 52 did, from that I would advance toward a more classical take on the character. One of he things I would do is that time would actually pass, we would see him growing on his role as superhero and his cast evolve, he would have a longer life span maybe even immortal and I would explore how that affect his relationship with his friends and loved ones.

On the begin it would focus more on Earth bond adventures, but as the time passed he would become more involved with the space sci-fi stuff.

Mighty Member

I'd focus on Superman and his impact on the world around him. Stories where he tries to solve some social issue only to find that for all his powers he can't make people's basic nature change He can overthrow a 3rd world dictator but then there is a power vacuum left in that country with no one knowing how to run a government that isn't corrupt. He can deliver a mountain of food to a place facing famine but unless he personally delivers to every person in that region how does he ensure fair distribution of the food? Or handle the need for continuing food if the local resources simply can't support the population?

How does he deal with attempts to tie his hands with bureaucratic red tape by various governmental bodies? Or groups trying to pressure him into tackling issues they think are important.

What happens when that business owner Superman kidnaped and forced to see the problems his company was causing- makes the changes and his business stops being profitable? Is Superman a hero who aided the working conditons and environmental impact … or the guy who closed down the main employer to the town?